CPC General discussion thread (2 Viewers)

Question for @David Spragg or the collective group on colors. I bought an inlaid scrown sample direct from CPC last year, but given a purchase wasn’t imminent, I passed them on to someone else that could use them. Before getting rid of them, I picked up a sample that was likely at least 2-3 years old, matched them up to mark them. For some of the colors, I found the difference between them to be noticeable. The scrown chips looked brighter/glossier than the older A Mold. What I am trying to determine is, how much of the difference is the mold (scrown vs A mold) and how much is the aging of the older sample (or other factors I am not considering). I did not oil either set which I know also is another major variable. Both were as I received them. I have included a picture below as an example.

I will hopefully be placing an order on CSQ later this year. I am just trying to get a best sense of what colors would look like for my order.

Any advice/comments from your experience would be appreciated.View attachment 396246View attachment 396248
From what I have seen the gloss effect is strongest on the scrown mold. I don't think there will be much of a gloss effect on the csq so in terms of gloss you will be closer to the a mold in your sample sets.

Color wise your scrown samples are more current. The biggest difference in the last few years are the dayglow colors have become brighter.

So if you have dayglow colors in your lineup try to invision scrown colors less the gloss.

Hope that helps and anyone feel free to chime in. I have four different color sets over three molds and that is what I have noticed.

I've been wondering about colour differences between molds as well, especially as I’m currently putting together a scrown set myself.

If anyone has a scrown colour sample set they would be willing to sell or loan to me, I’d be extremely grateful.

apologies if this has been answered or is the wrong place for this, but is there somewhere that tells you what molds are running when without having to ask David directly? I am looking to place a CSQ order in the near-medium future and wondering when it could actually run.

@David Spragg -- any chance of getting a 318-trimoon spotted chip produced, and if so, what designated Level spot it would be? I'm thinking just two spot colors, not six (one color for 318, another for the trimoons).

@David Spragg -- any chance of getting a 318-trimoon spotted chip produced, and if so, what designated Level spot it would be? I'm thinking just two spot colors, not six (one color for 318, another for the trimoons).
Lol I was going to ask that
Screenshot_20200116_184605.jpg

apologies if this has been answered or is the wrong place for this, but is there somewhere that tells you what molds are running when without having to ask David directly? I am looking to place a CSQ order in the near-medium future and wondering when it could actually run.

I have an order in now using the CSQ mold, David told me he needed it by mid Jan to get it in on the next run. So I would contact him ASAP to see if you could still get it in.

I have an order in now using the CSQ mold, David told me he needed it by mid Jan to get it in on the next run. So I would contact him ASAP to see if you could still get it in.

Ah, thanks. I'm still at least 3-4 weeks out from being ready to order, so I guess I'm missing this run.

I also have an order in for HHR on the same time frame. I got the impression from him that he knew those would be installed next, but after that was pending based on demand and couldn't give a firm answer.

Lol I was going to ask that
View attachment 396608
Asked a week ago, was told trimoons are too fragile to add anything to.
Hopefully they'd look a little better than your mockups. :D

Bummer, that's a real shame. I guess a sharpie is the only way to go...... just not contracted out to @Perthmike lol ;)

I asked about the exact same spot pattern when ordering my 40th birthday poker party chip. He said he could do it for me, but I don't know if that was only because I was asking for a small quantity to be used as commemorative chips or if I would have been able to order them in larger quantities as well? I ended up having these made instead though.

IMG_20200114_211803.jpg

Hopefully they'd look a little better than your mockups. :D

Bummer, that's a real shame. I guess a sharpie is the only way to go...... just not contracted out to @Perthmike lol ;)
Lol I'd be excellent with a sharpie. Unfortunately finger editing on my phone is not something im good at.

I think we all realize by now what the hurdles are with regards to creating new molds, but what does the process look like in terms of creating new edge spots @David Spragg ?

I understand that some shapes are more difficult to work with (like the half moons), but what about others, such as the different the "V" style spots?

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 15.50.56.png

Or, what about combining existing spots, like the half moons with, say, 18 spots? Or using/rearranging existing 18 spots to create the "bear claw" edge spots?

Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 15.50.35.png
Screenshot 2020-01-24 at 15.50.06.png

Are some of these edge spot combos exclusive to other manufacturers and thus can't be replicated by CPC? As always, it's interesting to gain insight in the process behind the chips!

Question: Is a bear claw a donut?

From Wikipedia

"A bear claw is a sweet, yeast-raised pastry, similar to a Danish, originating in the United States during the mid-1920s.[1][failed verification] A bear claw is usually filled with almond paste,[2] and sometimes raisins, and often shaped in a semicircle with slices along the curved edge, or rectangular with partial slices along one side.[3] As the dough rises, the sections separate, evoking the shape of a bear's toes, hence the name.[4]

A bear claw may also be a yeast doughnut in a shape similar to that of the pastry.[4] Such doughnuts may have an apple pie-style filling, or other fillings such as butter pecan, dates, cream cheese, grape or cherry.

The name bear claw as used for a pastry is first attested in 1936.[5] The phrase is more common in Western American English,[1] and is included in the U.S. Regional Dialect Survey Results, Question #87, "Do you use the term 'bear claw' for a kind of pastry?"[6]"

I asked about the exact same spot pattern when ordering my 40th birthday poker party chip. He said he could do it for me, but I don't know if that was only because I was asking for a small quantity to be used as commemorative chips or if I would have been able to order them in larger quantities as well? I ended up having these made instead though.

View attachment 396792

Wow.... the orange dot... is that like a custom, custom option? I’ve never seen this in the designer anywhere.

Those chips are the absolute bomb, btw.

V spots just fall out, bear claw no chance. I’ve been able to get the dot spots but not on a tri moon. Too fragile. In general if anywhere in your question you ask what spot level it is.....:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I can't find an info about the weight of the chips. Will the mold effect the weight? And what about the colors?! Do all weighted or unweighted colors have the same weight?

Colors, weights, molds, and inlay size (or hot stamp) all affect weight. You will probably even find weight differences between two chips of the same color, mold and inlay, because CPC chips are not mass produced by machines, they are hand made. The amount is pretty slim though, and would require a very accurate scale to tell the difference. Only weighted vs unweighted chips have any noticeable difference in weight, and even then it's less than a gram.

Most 39mm CPC chips fall between 8-9 grams.

Colors, weights, molds, and inlay size (or hot stamp) all affect weight. You will probably even find weight differences between two chips of the same color, mold and inlay, because CPC chips are not mass produced by machines, they are hand made. The amount is pretty slim though, and would require a very accurate scale to tell the difference. Only weighted vs unweighted chips have any noticeable difference in weight, and even then it's less than a gram.
Most 39mm CPC chips fall between 8-9 grams.
So there isn't a significant difference between scrown and scq mold if you compare chips with the same inlay and colors?!

Question for CPC - if i want 43mm chips, am I limited to just the A design and swirl design? The chip design tool limits u to only those two mold pattern. Let me know. Thx.

Two questions, pardon if there is an FAQ thread somewhere, I did not look around.

Concerning minimum orders, if I order 400 chips from CPC with 4 unique designs may I get them made in uneven quantities? For instance 150 of one chip, 50 of another? Or do 100 of each design need to be made?

Concerning inlays, are there additional fees for using different art on either side of the chip? I have not given this much thought yet but would probably not spend extra on this sort of flare.

Thanks.

There is a good amount of flexibility. They will likely not make an extremely low amount of chips (like less than a barrel) of one denom without a premium, but you can definitely have one of the common breakdowns floating around here made without paying extra. The more chips you order in total, the easier it is.

Different front/back inlay did not cost me anything extra.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom