CPC General discussion thread (12 Viewers)

I'm not a fan of most of the elaborate edge spots.
1615213520226.png

:unsure:

Are you actually getting some made? I thought David wouldn’t make any more dotted chips.
I hadn't heard that, but yes I'm getting some made. They are very time consuming to make though. If that's their policy now, my guess is that they just made an exception since my order was for 3600+ chips and only 50 of them have dots. Either that or the fact that I've ordered over 10,000 chips from them in the past from other various sets of customs, so perhaps I have more leeway than someone just ordering a 500 chip set for the first time? They don't make 1/8 pie chips for people either, but @slisk250 got a few of those made for his most recent set. I assume they made an exception for him because he gives them a lot of business.

I hadn't heard that, but yes I'm getting some made. They are very time consuming to make though. If that's their policy now, my guess is that they just made an exception since my order was for 3600+ chips and only 50 of them have dots. Either that or the fact that I've ordered over 10,000 chips from them in the past from other various sets of customs, so perhaps I have more leeway than someone just ordering a 500 chip set for the first time? They don't make 1/8 pie chips for people either, but @slisk250 got a few of those made for his most recent set. I assume they made an exception for him because he gives them a lot of business.
Holy sh*t I can’t wait to see the pr0n for that set!

One of the few high level spot options I like. It still looks simple and clean.
Not gonna lie, it's a beautiful chip.

I also think your right. While David doesn't want to make dotted chips, exceptions can be made. They are very difficult to make, and they will be more fragile than a normal chip. He simply does not want to sell a product that he knows might break under normal use. However, once you've bought 10,000 chips, he's probably less worried that you are going to drag the CPC name through the mud because of one difficult chip, and more worried that you cant get everything you want.

You might not get a bulk discount, but you can get the super-secret back-room opened up.

Travis, can you help me out and use your back door so I can make my dream 3d38 $1 please. Thanks :)

I'm not a fan of most of the elaborate edge spots. 8D18 is about as fancy as I'd want to get. They just start to look too busy for my tastes. I prefer a simpler, cleaner look. Shaped inlays look great on some projects, but not others. I have an scrown set in the works right now but I don't think shaped inlays work on the scrown mold with CPC because they are too small for the inlay area. I also have an order in for the lcrowns though, and for those, I went with shaped inlays since the inlay area is smaller on lcrown.
in for a sample set of each please!

I second 3d38. That would be awesome!
I believe David had said in the past that it could not be done because of something to do with the melting temperatures of the clay with an edge spot of that size. All of the spots would come out looking squeezed and bleeding. I don't remember the reasoning exactly, but something like that.

But yeah, if CPC can make a 3D38 spot work and look good, having to delay my next set may end up a blessing in disguise.

That, or if CPC comes out with a new blue that's close to the horizon blue that's lighter than DG Peacock but darker than their light blue.

Hint, hint ;)

But yeah, if CPC can make a 3D38 spot work and look good, having to delay my next set may end up a blessing in disguise.

That, or if CPC comes out with a new blue that's close to the horizon blue that's lighter than DG Peacock but darker than their light blue.

Hint, hint ;)
I’d add 3TA14 and 4TA316 to the list (among others!)

For me, the yellows are the biggest hole in the CPC colour lineup - could really benefit from a big, bold, bright yellow.

Once upon a time he also said trimoons couldn’t be done and now every other set has them lol

Technically they still don't offer Trimoons. What they call Trimoon is a 3HC in the Paulson world. Paulson's "original" trimoon has very differently shaped much broader spots, and those I believe CPC can't do because of material/production limitations. Edge spots falling out.

Edit--
Moon-Spot:
164351.jpg
HC Spot:
220041.jpg

Last edited:
Technically they still don't offer Trimoons. What they call Trimoon is a 3HC in the Paulson world. Paulson's "original" trimoon has very differently shaped much broader spots, and those I believe CPC can't do because of material/production limitations. Edge spots falling out.

Edit--
Moon-Spot:
View attachment 652225
HC Spot:
View attachment 652224

I thought the tri-moon name came from TRK, no?

Edit--
Moon-Spot:
View attachment 652225
HC Spot:
View attachment 652224
If you want to get that far into it, the name that the Paulson edge spot resource has for the spots, like 3-moon and 3HC, were completely made up by members here when the resource was added. A real Paulson brochure with those spots just has blank inlays whereas our resource has the spot names. Also, like @RainmanTrail said, the Tri-moon was first thought up by TRK.

Edit: I also want to add because now I’m on the subject of it, I think that Paulson’s xTA316 spot is really a xTA16 spot, because 3 1/6 inch spots would fit nicely in 1/2 inch spots, whereas 3 3/16 inch spots would require more punches, which would be an unnecessary cost. The basis of this theory is that the edge spot names were made up by members here and the only reason we assumed they were 3 3/16 spots was because that’s what CPC uses because they already had the punches for it. Does anybody know if there’s any concrete evidence that Paulson uses 3/16 inch spots for their xTA16/316 spots?

Last edited:
So, what is everyone’s philosophy on ordering extra chips?

I understand David includes some extras and I also plan to order 25x per denom for the purpose of sample sets. But I have heard a couple other people mentioning ordering additional extras for breakage or other reasons.

Do the extras that David includes not address this? Are people perfectionists and want the absolute best/perfect spots/chips etc? Do people just filter out the best chips out of the sample set extras into their main set? How many extras do you order (beyond the extras David includes and beyond the extras for sample sets)? Thanks!

I just order 10 extra of each denoms. Most will go to sample sets. Would’ve gotten more but I had already ordered 200-300 more chips than I originally intended.

For me, I simply want a guaranteed minimum number of extras per denom just to ensure the set stays "complete" for many many years even with broken/lost chips along the way. Can't merely order a handful more sometime later, plus you never know if the manufacturer still exists when the need comes up.

The bonus chips from the factory are already at least partially used up to replace the bunch of rejects that went through, and the worst looking of non-rejects. The number of extras I order(ed) is roughly proportional to the total number of chips I order of the respective denom, between 5% and 10%. I do not take bonus chips into account for that calculation. Whatever is left of the bonus chips after replacing rejects - if any - is an actual bonus to me.

Samples I also order explicitly.

I ordered 10 extra of everything for myself. If I was going to offer samples (let’s say 20), I’d add those to my order as well. So, if I want 200 x $1, I’d order 230. Any extra is just great. I’ve had as many as 22 extra of a denomination, and as low as 1.

I understand David includes some extras and I also plan to order 25x per denom for the purpose of sample sets. But I have heard a couple other people mentioning ordering additional extras for breakage or other reasons.

Do the extras that David includes not address this? Are people perfectionists and want the absolute best/perfect spots/chips etc? Do people just filter out the best chips out of the sample set extras into their main set? How many extras do you order (beyond the extras David includes and beyond the extras for sample sets)? Thanks!
I ordered 10% extra for each denom, but not to pick "the best" chips, just to make sure there are always extras in case chips break/get lost etc.

It also depends on how picky you are about your set. Do you want enough spares to try to replace every chip with split spots or other minor flaws? Then you might want to order more. Are you totally fine with the chips however they come and trust that their QC is up to your standards? Then order fewer. Do you play on a carpeted floor or in a concrete garage where a dropped chip means a broken chip? Again, adjust as necessary. I usually order 10 to 20 spares of each chip for myself, unless it's a limit set, then I get about 50. If I want enough for samples, I add those separately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom