CPC diameter check for racks (3 Viewers)

There is a PCF member who developed a way to machine down the edges of chips. Can’t remember the username... The purpose was to turn bicycle tires into chips with sharper edges, but might work for this, too.

It was RivieraDanny

...bit this is not the way to solve the problem.
Use the covered racks. Fits 39-43mm without a problem.

I seen a thread a while back where a guy sharpened up the edges of some pretty worn out chips. The look was drastically improved and he only took off a very miniscule amount. I don't remember how he did it tho.
I'd be tempted to do that if I was you, especially if they are on the high end diameter of all cpcs anyways.

I would try ordering single racks from a variety of vendors in hopes of finding a fit, rather than selling chips you value.
Vendors are all overseas. Shipping costs are a nightmare.
I bought racks direct from CPC when I bought my chips. They fit great ( their higher quality version).
http://www.pokerchipsonline.com/storage/storage.htm
Almost did that. But the shipping was more than the racks. Still an option. But I'd love to know the diameter of your chips in comparison to mine.

Last edited:
This is my kind of thread mate!

I'm going through different racks at the moment, each have their issues, so I've decided to get @alecnetwoodworks to make me some custom ones. I don't know for certain, but I suspect they'll be made using a 40mm channel, I believe thats what the racks I have for the Paulsons are, even though the chips themselves are 39mm, I might be wrong...

I found the racks that Tony sells to be much better in terms of chip diameter, they sit properly in the channel, but they require 1mm spacers as the racks are 68.5mm. The cheap chinese racks I have fit better in terms of barrel height, at 68mm but the chips don't sit properly in the channel. I was advised against Justin racks, by Justin (fair play) as there's known to be mixed results with CPCs.

Just got my calipers out to see what I'm dealing with...interestingly (to us nerds) the hundos are the smallest in terms of diameter but also the tallest in terms of stack size. They come in at 67.5mm whereas the rest are all 67.2mm, although I did a lot of sorting to pull out the "fat" chips when I got them.

1704973758313.png
1704973769347.png
1704973777086.png
1704973786822.png
1704973795450.png
1704974027749.png
1704974043337.png

FFS, just realised my calipers only go to 1 decimal place, now I need to buy new ones!

Last edited:

I'm going through different racks at the moment, each have their issues, so I've decided to get @alecnetwoodworks to make me some custom ones. I don't know for certain, but I suspect they'll be made using a 40mm channel, I believe thats what the racks I have for the Paulsons are, even though the chips themselves are 39mm, I might be wrong...

I found the racks that Tony sells to be much better in terms of chip diameter, they sit properly in the channel, but they require 1mm spacers as the racks are 68.5mm. The cheap chinese racks I have fit better in terms of barrel height, at 68mm but the chips don't sit properly in the channel. I was advised against Justin racks, by Justin (fair play) as there's known to be mixed results with CPCs.

Just got my calipers out to see what I'm dealing with...interestingly (to us nerds) the hundos are the smallest in terms of diameter but also the tallest in terms of stack size. They come in at 67.5mm whereas the rest are all 67.2mm, although I did a lot of sorting to pull out the "fat" chips when I got them.

View attachment 1253805View attachment 1253806View attachment 1253807View attachment 1253808View attachment 1253809View attachment 1253811View attachment 1253812

FFS, just realised my calipers only go to 1 decimal place, now I need to buy new ones!
Much appreciate for checking diameter. Everyone's CPCs seem to be smaller than mine. Never thought I'd ever have reverse size envy.

Oh. My. Gord.
My old set of sluggos are actually 40 mm in diameter, almost exactly. My oversized CPCs fit those racks perfectly, depth and length. What are these mythical racks? Where might I find more of them? Any ultra rack nerds see these and just know what they are?

Sluggo set was purchased in 2005. Absolutely no markings or manufacturer logos on them. That help? Must I trawl online looking to buy multiples of this old set just for the racks? WTF would I do with all those sluggos?

IMG_20240111_214716147.jpg
IMG_20240111_214730441.jpg

IMG_20240111_214821189.jpg

IMG_20240111_214842368.jpg

IMG_20240111_214937735.jpg

IMG_20240111_215009507.jpg

IMG_20240111_215146932.jpg

IMG_20240111_215254021.jpg

Oh. My. Gord.
My old set of sluggos are actually 40 mm in diameter, almost exactly. My oversized CPCs fit those racks perfectly, depth and length. What are these mythical racks? Where might I find more of them? Any ultra rack nerds see these and just know what they are?

Sluggo set was purchased in 2005. Absolutely no markings or manufacturer logos on them. That help? Must I trawl online looking to buy multiples of this old set just for the racks? WTF would I do with all those sluggos?

I had bought this bird cage off of Amazon years ago and found the racks that came with it fit my Rounders best. So maybe Brybelly racks fit CPC best?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FI7MO04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

WTF would I do with all those sluggos?

Skeet shooting maybe? :LOL: :laugh:

the movie beach GIF

*Also, great movie if you know where this gif is from.

For reference, when I make racks, the 39mm racks are made with a 1.625in core box bit. This works out to ~41.2mm diameter. I've tried to source a 40mm bit, and found one once on AliExpress, but it never arrived after ordering it.

43mm racks are made with a 1.75in bit (~44.5mm). So until I get a CNC machine this is the best I can do with the tooling available to me. If someone outside of the US can find a source selling 40mm core box bit with a 1/2in shaft, that would be awesome.

For reference, when I make racks, the 39mm racks are made with a 1.625in core box bit. This works out to ~41.2mm diameter. I've tried to source a 40mm bit, and found one once on AliExpress, but it never arrived after ordering it.

43mm racks are made with a 1.75in bit (~44.5mm). So until I get a CNC machine this is the best I can do with the tooling available to me. If someone outside of the US can find a source selling 40mm core box bit with a 1/2in shaft, that would be awesome.
Depending on the bit you may be able to have a machine shop chuck it up in a lathe and take 1mm off the diameter.

Oh. My. Gord.

View attachment 1253825View attachment 1253826
View attachment 1253829
View attachment 1253830
View attachment 1253831
View attachment 1253832
View attachment 1253833
View attachment 1253836
I'm serious guys!
Someone must know what these racks are.

Appear to be made specifically for 40 mm chips.

Oh. My. Gord.

View attachment 1253825View attachment 1253826
View attachment 1253829
View attachment 1253830
View attachment 1253831
View attachment 1253832
View attachment 1253833
View attachment 1253836
These look like they can be found on China Taobao site, those rack without the Made in China sign on the bottom

They are made mostly for metal slugged chips where some Version of chips are in 40mm rather than the norm 39mm

The link is in Chinese thou

【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.5LFynY5?tk=dLYYWSiYOXi CZ3457 「热销德州扑克筹码架子透明亚克力100码有盖棋牌室专用盒子便捷」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

Last edited:
These look like they can be found on China Taobao site, those rack without the Made in China sign on the bottom

They are made mostly for metal slugged chips where some Version of chips are in 40mm rather than the norm 39mm

The link is in Chinese thou

【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.5LFynY5?tk=dLYYWSiYOXi CZ3457 「热销德州扑克筹码架子透明亚克力100码有盖棋牌室专用盒子便捷」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开
Interadasting! My wife is native Chinese, maybe will help with that website. I'm sure she'll be thrilled to cooperate with ordering chip racks (hmm).

I no longer have a rack of A-mold to test and confirm, but I remember reading somewhere Bud Jones racks fit A-mold and B-mold better than 67.7 racks.

Much appreciate for checking diameter. Everyone's CPCs seem to be smaller than mine. Never thought I'd ever have reverse size envy.
Not so fast…

You’ll notice they show and measure different molds. Each mold varies in size, both diameter and thickness, because they use different cups.

The cups for each mold are created from a different master. (My terminology is wrong here, David has a post explaining this somewhere, BGinGA has also written something if I recall correctly). Then there are multiple cups for each mold made from the same master. Based on how each cup and master are made, you’ll naturally get some variation that extends first between the molds and then again to lesser degree within each mold.

I don’t recall the specifics, other than the crowns being the smallest. I think scroll was the biggest and A-mold was one of the bigger ones.

If you want to dive down a rabbit hole, there’s a whole thread on the best CPC racks including my post showing the up-close fit issues I was having with my B molds.

That's what I tried to explain earlier. "Mine CPC is bigger than yours" doesn't make any sense, it's the particular mold used that's important.

Here, SCrown in front, A-mold in the middle, FDL last.
20240112_135923.jpg20240112_140218.jpg

Not so fast…

You’ll notice they show and measure different molds. Each mold varies in size, both diameter and thickness, because they use different cups.

The cups for each mold are created from a different master. (My terminology is wrong here, David has a post explaining this somewhere, BGinGA has also written something if I recall correctly). Then there are multiple cups for each mold made from the same master. Based on how each cup and master are made, you’ll naturally get some variation that extends first between the molds and then again to lesser degree within each mold.

I don’t recall the specifics, other than the crowns being the smallest. I think scroll was the biggest and A-mold was one of the bigger ones.

If you want to dive down a rabbit hole, there’s a whole thread on the best CPC racks including my post showing the up-close fit issues I was having with my B molds.
Oh I know that thread well and I do recall your posts also.

Maybe I haven't articulated well in the thread. But I do understand the variance in chip dimensions amongst CPC molds. I learnt the hard way, accepting the consensus that KeyWest racks would suit, buying 20 of them, and finding they are two small. There is no point returning them for a refund since shipping is equal to the purchase price. This is why when someone tells me a certain rack is good for their CPCs I then ask what diameter their chips are.

Many kind posters have recommended racks but most recommendations don't specify chip diameter that fit in the racks. So far any diameter given to me is smaller than my chips. Thus I can not verify that my larger chips would fit/sit in their recommended rack.

From all my PCF forum searching I have yet to find any rack that is recommended for CPCs of around 39.5 to 39.65 mm, the size of my chips. Hence my frustration.

My post above regarding mystery racks for my 40 mm sluggos set is the closest option so far. But sourcing them seems difficult.

That's what I tried to explain earlier. "Mine CPC is bigger than yours" doesn't make any sense, it's the particular mold used that's important.

Here, SCrown in front, A-mold in the middle, FDL last.
View attachment 1254386View attachment 1254387
Im trying to focus on diameter rather than mold, since I can't be certain there is no variance within each mold. CPCs are grinded after they are pressed, it is possible they get grinded differently by operator (I'm guessing).

If you told me you have SCrowns with a diameter of 39.55 and they fit in "RackX", then I'm going to try "RackX" for my A-crest with diameter of 39.55. Of course I will be considering barrel height too.

I'm
Im trying to focus on diameter rather than mold, since I can't be certain there is no variance within each mold. CPCs are grinded after they are pressed, it is possible they get grinded differently by operator (I'm guessing).

If you told me you have SCrowns with a diameter of 39.55 and they fit in "RackX", then I'm going to try "RackX" for my A-crest with diameter of 39.55. Of course I will be considering barrel height too.
Point is - SCrowns are way narrower than A-molds. Don't ask why, they just are. Some molds are larger than others, and A-mold is one of them. If you ask someone "Do your CPCs fit RackX?" and they say yes without saying which mold it is or what diameter their chips have, you might have a problem.

You have A-molds, just focus on those (and/or FDLs which are fo similar diameter, potenitally a tad wider).

As for racks, there are SO many different manufacturers (especially in China) and, unless you buy from a respectable seller who knows what they're doing, like Apache or Spinetti, you can't really be sure what you'll be getting. Or Key West (@dennis63), if I remember correctly he too sells racks. It will be expensive, but youknow what you're getting and you avoid potential multiple orders because things you've received aren't good enough.

I'm

Point is - SCrowns are way narrower than A-molds. Don't ask why, they just are. Some molds are larger than others, and A-mold is one of them. If you ask someone "Do your CPCs fit RackX?" and they say yes without saying which mold it is or what diameter their chips have, you might have a problem.

You have A-molds, just focus on those (and/or FDLs which are fo similar diameter, potenitally a tad wider).

As for racks, there are SO many different manufacturers (especially in China) and, unless you buy from a respectable seller who knows what they're doing, like Apache or Spinetti, you can't really be sure what you'll be getting. Or Key West (@dennis63), if I remember correctly he too sells racks. It will be expensive, but youknow what you're getting and you avoid potential multiple orders because things you've received aren't good enough.
Yup. Is why I have been asking diameters after each rack recommendation from CPC owners.
I started the thread after buying KeyWest racks and finding my chips don't fit, since my chips are larger diameter for CPCs. Good racks, great vendor, just don't suit my chips.

Local Australian vendor claims to have racks for 39-40 mm chips that definitely fit my CPC diameter and barrel height. Sending a free sample rack to me to try out.
We'll see...

Edit, fixed typo that said 34-40 mm.

Last edited:
Local Australian vendor claims to have racks for 39-40 mm chips that definitely fit my CPC diameter and barrel height. Sending a free sample rack to me to try out.
We'll see...

Edit, fixed typo that said 34-40 mm.
Curious. 34-40mm is a wide range

Original 34-40 was a typo. I updated it to 39-40.
Am curious too how they are. I'm hoping they originate from China where many chips made are 40mm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom