CPC diameter check for racks (2 Viewers)

drdr

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Just received my first CPCs (1000 x A-crest customs) and looking for advice. Not trying to whine but do want to know if what I have is the norm since this is the first CPC set I've ever seen in the person.

Purchased from a reputable vendor 20 racks that have a reputation for fitting CPCs. Chose racks very carefully since postage to Australia is roughly the same as the rack cost. The new chips fit the barrel length like a glove (a beautiful thing). But the new CPCs are obviously hovering above the rack bottoms, sitting on the rack edges and swinging/swiveling. I was dismayed! Worried storage in my birdcage will damage the chips if they are hovering. But on a hunch broke out the new callipers.

My mint CPCs consistently have a diameter varying between 39.5 and 39.65 (amazing narrow variance range). I'm thinking this is why they don't sit right in the racks.

Chipper thoughts? Is the diameter typical? Other thoughts or advice?

IMG_20240105_073737835.jpg
IMG_20240105_074206271.jpg
IMG_20240105_074025035.jpg

Yes. CPCs are a little larger than Paulsons. Both diameter and thickness. I was actually thinking some were even larger than those you are measuring. I thought I remembered measuring a group that were around 39.8mm, but I could be wrong.

Diameter variation of this magnitude is usually not responsible for poor fitting in racks. It's the barrel length (typical height of 20 chips) which is the issue.

Both CPC and ceramic chips tend to be a little taller, therefore fit better in ChipCo racks and generic bulk racks (67-68mm barrel length).
Mint Paulsons are a tight squeeze in a 66.7mm rack (Paulson 24010 and Unique 4200).

In Adam savages follow up video on CPC website he has racks that he uses. I ordered the same and they fit rounders CSQ very nicely. Link to them are in his description

Diameter variation of this magnitude is usually not responsible for poor fitting in racks. It's the barrel length (typical height of 20 chips) which is the issue.

Both CPC and ceramic chips tend to be a little taller, therefore fit better in ChipCo racks and generic bulk racks (67-68mm barrel length).
Mint Paulsons are a tight squeeze in a 66.7mm rack (Paulson 24010 and Unique 4200).
Racks I got fit barrel length superbly.

In Adam savages follow up video on CPC website he has racks that he uses. I ordered the same and they fit rounders CSQ very nicely. Link to them are in his description
I did consider sourcing racks from this exact link. But wasn't sure if the supplier is actually selling the exact same rack - may have changed since the Adam's post years ago. Also if my chips are wider than typical they still may not fit. Perhaps I should gamble again and try 20.

Yep, that's what I had bought but they don't fit. Didn't want to single out though since is a great product with reputation for being right for CPCs. Is why I'm wondering if my chips are abnormally wider.

I got 8 racks back in Aug-2020 when I got my CPC set ( No-mold Chesterfields ) and the barrels fit perfectly. I know other who use them for CPCs and nothing but positive reviews. :unsure:

I got 8 racks back in Aug-2020 when I got my CPC set ( No-mold Chesterfields ) and the barrels fit perfectly. I know other who use them for CPCs and nothing but positive reviews. :unsure:
I know, I've heard the same. Would love to know the diameter of your chips as a comparison to mine.

I know, I've heard the same. Would love to know the diameter of your chips as a comparison to mine.

I measured a random barrel and they ranged from 39.19 to 39.25

PXL_20240105_150645304.jpg

Same barrel range was 3.24 - 3.44
PXL_20240105_150852644.jpg

But all 30 barrels sit flush in the racks
PXL_20240105_150937788.jpg

PXL_20240105_151039985.jpg

I measured a random barrel and they ranged from 39.19 to 39.25

Same barrel range was 3.24 - 3.44

But all 30 barrels sit flush in the racks
Thanks kindly for that. Yours do look to sit nicely. Bit jealous. Hoping a few others with same racks post diameters to further confirm.

So far seems my chips may be larger than typical. Wondering if I should attempt to correct that, somehow. Or sell off the 20 Keywest racks and try another type.

I'm getting increasing frustrated, still no solution :(

Fine, I have CPCs - artisanal, quirky, non-standard, too large chips (even for CPCs?). That's fine and I love them for that.
But what is the rack solution for this problem? I'm not finding 'the one' rack for CPCs on PCF.
Surely there are many CPC fans out there that have found the right rack for for CPCs around 39.5 mm? Call out, reveal your secret!

Maybe 40 mm racks? Can't seem to find a vendor that provides that, and even if 40 mm wide is found would also need to be 67.7 long, right?

IMG_20240110_205325281.jpg

IMG_20240110_205511677.jpg

I would try ordering single racks from a variety of vendors in hopes of finding a fit, rather than selling chips you value.

I grabbed a rack of each denomination of my CPC chips (CSQ mold) and measured the diameter of 5 chips from each rack. Here are the averages for those 5 chips:
  • T25 ... 39.346mm (34, 35, 36, 35, 33)
  • T100 ... 39.342mm (37, 32, 34, 33, 35)
  • T500 ... 39.312mm (31, 28, 27, 39, 31)
  • T1000 ... 39.388mm (41, 39, 39, 40, 35)
  • T5000 ... 39.312mm (26, 34, 30, 36, 30)
The differences seem to be kind of large, but the variance between the largest diameter and the smallest diameter appears to be 0.15mm, (39.41mm vs 39.26mm). Which is fine by me for a custom product.

I also noticed the racks I had (at the time) were not large enough (diameter was close, but barrel length was short). So I bought some here and they work perfectly.

I've tried all the racks listed here for my CSQ Rounders, and they are all quality products. I'll add Justin racks to the conversation too, try them. @justincarothers

Unfortunately I have not found the "perfect" fit for my batch of chips either, but have come to live with it.

I've run into either too loose or too tight, really no in between.

Right now I have them in the enclosed Justin racks. I'm happy with the fit of most barrels, just tends to be at least one row per rack that is generally tighter than it probably should be.

IMG_6901.jpeg

Could you shave the outside of these oversize chips down so they fit and are same diameter as everyone elses cps?

Could you shave the outside of these oversize chips down so they fit and are same diameter as everyone elses cps?

There is a PCF member who developed a way to machine down the edges of chips. Can’t remember the username... The purpose was to turn bicycle tires into chips with sharper edges, but might work for this, too.

But it seems like a lot less trouble, time and expense to just find racks that fit.

I grabbed a rack of each denomination of my CPC chips (CSQ mold) and measured the diameter of 5 chips from each rack. Here are the averages for those 5 chips:
  • T25 ... 39.346mm (34, 35, 36, 35, 33)
  • T100 ... 39.342mm (37, 32, 34, 33, 35)
  • T500 ... 39.312mm (31, 28, 27, 39, 31)
  • T1000 ... 39.388mm (41, 39, 39, 40, 35)
  • T5000 ... 39.312mm (26, 34, 30, 36, 30)
The differences seem to be kind of large, but the variance between the largest diameter and the smallest diameter appears to be 0.15mm, (39.41mm vs 39.26mm). Which is fine by me for a custom product.

I also noticed the racks I had (at the time) were not large enough (diameter was close, but barrel length was short). So I bought some here and they work perfectly.
The racks you linked to may be the solution. Thread has CPCs sitting properly in racks but no mention on those CPC's diameters. If mine are larger than typical... sadness. I'll try posting there to check.

There is a PCF member who developed a way to machine down the edges of chips. Can’t remember the username... The purpose was to turn bicycle tires into chips with sharper edges, but might work for this, too.

But it seems like a lot less trouble, time and expense to just find racks that fit.
You're right, I recall that thread now also. Shipping would kill me as in Australia. Though would be a good option for someone local to that vendor.

Very interesting. The variance/range of mine also are virtually spot on to 0.15 mm. But 39.50 to 39.65. Still remarkable small range I think.

If you sand down your CPCs, you're bat shit crazy imho. I would not do this and my CDO is high, so high in fact I would like try to get them all to the be same size which I would likely sand them down flat, until only the surface of the table was left. I think you can fix yourself by understanding that these are not Paulsons, these are works of art made by an artisan carrying a tradition on well past what 'normals' would consider efficient for todays fast-food-cheap-valued-throwaway-lifestyle. SLOW THE F Down, smell the chips, love that they all are individually created works of art that someone will love, even if you don't!

If you have to have the absolute best fit with the bottom supported perfectly, I would suggest a custom rack.

For the CLOSEST thing to the perfect rack you can commission the best looking chip racks from Alec

While he will be able to sit the chip into the base completely there will need to be wiggle room for the chips as the variance on chip height can be 'significant'

P.S. I was serious, smell the chips, every aspect worth celebrating!

Last edited:
If you sand down your CPCs, you're bat shit crazy imho. I would not do this and my CDO is high.

If you have to have the absolute best fit with the bottom supported perfectly, I would suggest a custom rack.

For the CLOSEST thing to the perfect rack you can commission the best looking chip racks from Alec

While he will be able to sit the chip into the base completely there will need to be wiggle room for the chips as the variance on chip height can be 'significant'
CDO... twitch
True, Alec would be an option. Cost likely to be up there but maybe alright considering the cost of the chips themselves anyhow.

If you sand down your CPCs, you're bat shit crazy imho. I would not do this and my CDO is high, so high in fact I would like try to get them all to the be same size which I would likely sand them down flat, until only the surface of the table was left. I think you can fix yourself by understanding that these are not Paulsons, these are works of art made by an artisan carrying a tradition on well past what 'normals' would consider efficient for todays fast-food-cheap-valued-throwaway-lifestyle. SLOW THE F Down, smell the chips, love that they all are individually created works of art that someone will love, even if you don't!
Agreed. You raise the bridge, not lower the river.

Note that CPC is not CPC is not CPC - the different molds have different diameters.

Note that CPC is not CPC is not CPC - the different molds have different diameters.
I've certainly found this out! Is why I'm now mindful of other's diameters when considering recommendations.
Is a bit curious though. I would have expected the diameters of different CPC molds to be corrected down to similar during grinding. Thickness of chip would vary and would be harder to correct for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom