COVID Vaccine poll and why it's in Home Game (2 Viewers)

Are you confirming COVID vaccinations?

• No

Votes: 60 43.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Hell no

Votes: 33 23.9%
  • And I’m getting vaccinated

Votes: 85 61.6%

• Total voters

joseywales

Straight
Reaction score
You can select 2 options, one being are you getting vaccinated. Yes, I realize the irony of the second part, but this poll IS anonymous.

background:

I run a monthly social game among friends. Last week, we were on track for our first game since COVID. Couldn’t get enough players.

I sent an invite this week and one of the players, who accepted last week, now asks if players will be vaccinated. I responded, “I haven’t asked anyone about vaccinations”, hoping that was clear and would end it, but knowing it wouldn’t. He responded, suggesting I ask because he won’t play unless everyone is vaccinated. To me, this is very short sighted.

Not only does he play in larger games, he deals part time as well. There’s no way he’s getting guarantees from all this people. So, either he’s giving up the poker life he had, or he’ll do a 180 soon. All are his free choices to make of course.

I haven’t yet responded, but believe I’ll address the entire group, briefly explaining that some folks have asked, and then state: “We have regulars and alternates play at our game, as well as attend tournaments. It would be impossible to guarantee player vaccinations without proof. I do not intend to ask for proof of vaccination, political papers, or other personal information and thus cannot guarantee player vaccinations.”

As an aside, I’m confident that COVID vaccines will not determine the fate of my game.

Curious with my poll, if PCF addressing this at their games?

I am scheduled for my second dose today and starting to think about and talk with my wife about protocols for restarting. I think people are going to need to learn to live with the virus to a large extent. It’s never going to go away completely and a significant portion of the population is not going to get vaccinated. So a zero tolerance type approach is probably not practical for a lot of games.

We have a group that has been playing for many years of middle aged guys and now a handful of young players. The primary group is either vaccinated or has had Covid but we have one hard anti-vaxer who will not get vaccinated. All but one of the young guys will probably not get vaccinated. I think the short term future for my game looks like playing outside, vaccinated (final dose), recently had Covid, or must wear a mask. I am not going to ask anyone to see their papers.

The office building where my studio is located hosts a monthly game and they are just restarting this month. Evidence of the second dose plus the CDC waiting period or evidence of Covid infection within the last 6 months plus a negative Covid test in the last three days required.

Last edited:
We have a small tight group of people who play poker together. We communicate often about things outside of poker, one of them is in regards to COVID vaccination resources as we scrambled to get the vaccine for our elder family members throughout February. As Texas started to open up to people outside of the top priority group some of us were also able to get the vaccine and within the past week those who were not in a priority group were also able to get scheduled for the shot. While we didn't enforce it directly, there was an indirect method of knowing who was already getting the vaccine.

On top of that the group social distanced during the past year or if anyone had symptoms (fever, heavy coughing, shortness of breath) we would tell people up front and not risk it so we have had occasional games during the past year, just not as frequent as we used to do. Now that more people are getting vaccinated we are starting to play more often, but still with the tight small group.

You could point out to the player that the vaccination does not prevent an infection from occurring, it allows your body to fight the infection more quickly and effectively, so you don't get seriously ill.

So as long as he's vaccinated, it shouldn't really matter if others are not.

You can select 2 options, one being are you getting vaccinated. Yes, I realize the irony of the second part, but this poll IS anonymous.

background:

I run a monthly social game among friends. Last week, we were on track for our first game since COVID. Couldn’t get enough players.

I sent an invite this week and one of the players, who accepted last week, now asks if players will be vaccinated. I responded, “I haven’t asked anyone about vaccinations”, hoping that was clear and would end it, but knowing it wouldn’t. He responded, suggesting I ask because he won’t play unless everyone is vaccinated. To me, this is very short sighted.

Not only does he play in larger games, he deals part time as well. There’s no way he’s getting guarantees from all this people. So, either he’s giving up the poker life he had, or he’ll do a 180 soon. All are his free choices to make of course.

I haven’t yet responded, but believe I’ll address the entire group, briefly explaining that some folks have asked, and then state: “We have regulars and alternates play at our game, as well as attend tournaments. It would be impossible to guarantee player vaccinations without proof. I do not intend to ask for proof of vaccination, political papers, or other personal information and thus cannot guarantee player vaccinations.”

As an aside, I’m confident that COVID vaccines will not determine the fate of my game.

Curious with my poll, if PCF addressing this at their games?
It’s pretty simple if you want verification. Have them show you the card. I don’t think your guy is short sighted at all. He’s playing the long game.

I am hosting my first in person game, inside, with no masks since March of last year.

8 guys, and I've asked about vaccination status. I am not verifying, so I voted no in the poll. But everyone coming has had at least one shot.

I will host a two table game in May, also asking that people only come if they have been vaccinated.

June I open all the way. Most everyone in my group will be vaccinated, and those who aren't? Not my problem. They will have had the opportunity. Texas is wide open for vaccinations, I'm not going to force anyone to get one, but I will state in my invite that it's my preference that you only come if you've been shot.

It’s pretty simple if you want verification. Have them show you the card. I don’t think your guy is short sighted at all. He’s playing the long game.
I believe he is shorted sited. This is the same player who has come to my game sick, several times in the past, as have others.

3 years ago, I placed hand sanitizer in my room, because guys were rushing back to the table, at the cost of personal hygiene.

I’m more concerned about the common cold then COVID.

I’d prefer to mandate hand sanitizer over a vaccination, but that’s me and I respect everyone’s opinion on the topic. It’s their body, their choice. Gals must be loving this BTW!

You could point out to the player that the vaccination does not prevent an infection from occurring, it allows your body to fight the infection more quickly and effectively, so you don't get seriously ill.

So as long as he's vaccinated, it shouldn't really matter if others are not.

Agree with this 100%.

The vaccine is readily available to all adults in most places now. I need to figure out how to sign myself up. But bottom line, if you choose to get the vax, you shouldn't be worried about whether or not anyone else has made the same choice.

I did shut down entirely except for the odd family game when the Governor struck out against multi family gatherings last holiday season. I am running again, I provide sanitizer, I am asking people to self screen temperature, I am not serving common food yet.

But I plan to return my game to normal soon now that the vaccine is readily available, it's on the players to make their own personal choice, but I am not going to ban anyone that doesn't get it.

I am hosting my first in person game, inside, with no masks since March of last year.

8 guys, and I've asked about vaccination status. I am not verifying, so I voted no in the poll. But everyone coming has had at least one shot.

I will host a two table game in May, also asking that people only come if they have been vaccinated.

June I open all the way. Most everyone in my group will be vaccinated, and those who aren't? Not my problem. They will have had the opportunity. Texas is wide open for vaccinations, I'm not going to force anyone to get one, but I will state in my invite that it's my preference that you only come if you've been shot.
I agree with all of this as well, and I think this is a pretty reasonable timeline.

I am hoping to restart a weekly home game around June 1. I will not ask to see a vaccination card; however, my rule will be if you're not vaccinated, you're not playing. Vaccines are readily available in Maine to anyone 16+. Anyone who wants one should be fully vaccinated by June. I haven't heard a single legitimate reason why anyone would decline vaccination.

I am hoping to restart a weekly home game around June 1. I will not ask to see a vaccination card; however, my rule will be if you're not vaccinated, you're not playing. Vaccines are readily available in Maine to anyone 16+. Anyone who wants one should be fully vaccinated by June. I haven't heard a single legitimate reason why anyone would decline vaccination.
I don’t do first year anything: appliances, cars, phones, ANYTHING. If that doesn’t seem legitimate, then you’ve had incredible luck with new items. I genuinely feel happy for you if that’s the case.
I don’t wish ill on anyone and am actually glad folks are getting vaccinated, so they’re protected and feel secure. I feel protected/secure, without the vaccination, and want others to have the same comfort level.

When life gets back to normal I’ll host. Late summer? Fall? I dunno. But I’m not now or ever going to only invite vaccinated people. This past year has been tough on people with different political beliefs. I’m not going to risk friendships by having vaxxed-only games. Nope.
I believe I’ll go back to the card rooms as soon as I’m fully vaccinated, even though I’m sure they’ll be loaded with the unvaccinated.

I don’t think this is quite accurate, but now I’m going to have to do some reading.

I don’t think this is quite accurate, but now I’m going to have to do some reading.

We both may be right, in a way. I did some reading on the cdc website, and my understanding is that the vaccine prevents you from getting ill from the virus. The vaccine is not like a magic shield, or bubble, that somehow prevents particles from entering your body. COVID can enter your body whether you've had the vaccine or not, but the vaccine prevents it from developing into a serious infection. So you can have the virus, but never develop symptoms. But it's still possible for you to transmit it to someone else.

My main point is that the vaccine's main purpose is to prevent you from getting sick from the virus. So if I'm vaccinated, I can be in a room with 8 players who are not vaccinated and feel relatively safe. However if those 8 players are all vaccinated, but I am not, I am at more risk because they can still transmit the virus to me.

However, I think there is something to the fact that if the vaccine stops the virus from developing, a vaccinated person who has COVID will be less likely to infect someone else than a non-vaccinated person, because the virus is less "powerful" in the vaccinated person.

These are my thoughts/opinions/best educated guesses. I'm in no way an expert.

I'm really glad to see this discussion as I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle things. I have a wide age range in my group, and a family at home.

One my players asked me if I was going to require vaccinations and I told him I wasn't sure but was leaning towards yes. He was surprised and I quickly learned by 50+ year old 350 lb friend was not planning on getting vaccinated.

My second shot is later this month as is my wife's. My kids are too young for vaccination.

Like others have mentioned I don't want to cause rifts in friendships, break the game, etc. but also don't want to put anyone at risk. Thinking I may start similar to Craig with stating the expectation, and not confirming for the first games out of the gate - and see where things are by mid summer or so if I'd remove that stated expectation.

Last edited:
We both may be right, in a way. I did some reading on the cdc website, and my understanding is that the vaccine prevents you from getting ill from the virus. The vaccine is not like a magic shield, or bubble, that somehow prevents particles from entering your body. COVID can enter your body whether you've had the vaccine or not, but the vaccine prevents it from developing into a serious infection. So you can have the virus, but never develop symptoms. But it's still possible for you to transmit it to someone else.

My main point is that the vaccine's main purpose is to prevent you from getting sick from the virus. So if I'm vaccinated, I can be in a room with 8 players who are not vaccinated and feel relatively safe. However if those 8 players are all vaccinated, but I am not, I am at more risk because they can still transmit the virus to me.

However, I think there is something to the fact that if the vaccine stops the virus from developing, a vaccinated person who has COVID will be less likely to infect someone else than a non-vaccinated person, because the virus is less "powerful" in the vaccinated person.

I think that makes sense.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out for myself is if there's any reason I shouldn't be hitting the poker rooms once I'm fully vaccinated.

I think that makes sense.
I guess what I'm trying to figure out for myself is if there's any reason I shouldn't be hitting the poker rooms once I'm fully vaccinated.

If I've learned anything it's that if there's only a 5% chance of something bad happening, that automatically jumps up to 50% when poker gets involved. :LOL: :laugh:

This thing is never going away completely and vaccines are not 100% effective. Early data appears to show that some vaccines may largely prevent the transmission of Covid through vaccinated individuals (asymptomatic spread) between 70-90%. The vaccines are not 100% effective and their protection against asymptomatic spread is not going to be 100%. I think people need to think critically about their risk tolerances and their mitigation efforts. Nothing is absolute. People are going to be waiting a very long time if they expect 100% certainty of protection from this virus.

Just a couple articles with embedded sources:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...n-but-still-wear-mask-experts-say/4833945001/
https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covi...cine-may-block-spread-of-coronavirus-fda-says

I am going to do things similarly to Craig, open up with a couple "only vaccinated" games, and then open to all by mid summer.

I will be asking that only fully vaccinated players come to my game, which will start back up in a month or so - but I won't be requiring any proof, going with the honor system. I won't be wearing a mask at these games and I suspect no one else will either, not much point in it. The whole reason for a vaccine is to avoid hospitalization and death, and all 3 are 100% effective at this, so I'm not sweating the risk of transmission, the virus will likely always be with us going forward and I'm not going to let it lord over everything.

I've got a very diverse group of players (meaning diverse in thought) who are all my good friends, and they range from militant double maskers who are likely to keep wearing their masks in a room full of vaccinated people to people who are just straight up refusing to get jabbed ever.

I've informed the pro-mask pro-lockdown people that they can keep wearing masks if they want and I've let the anti-vaxxers know that they can stay home until covid deaths in this country dip to under a hundred a day and stay there, then they will be welcomed back.

What I have refused to do is try to shame or belittle anyone for their beliefs. I don't assume that my anti-vax friends hate old people and I don't assume that my friends who don't go outside without at least two masks and a face shield worship the government blindly. My game has always been about people from all walks of life and all different beliefs coming together and enjoying poker and transcending the broad "variance" of our world views. It will continue to be that way going forward.

vaccination does not prevent an infection from occurring
All studies show that vaccination is highly effective in preventing disease. For example: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

"Results showed that following the second dose of vaccine (the recommended number of doses), risk of infection was reduced by 90 percent two or more weeks after vaccination. Following a single dose of either vaccine, the participants’ risk of infection with SARS-CoV-2 was reduced by 80 percent two or more weeks after vaccination."

My buddy wants to host this weekend since his wife is away and as we've both been vaccinated, I'm up for it. Looks like everyone who's responding is also responding with their vaccination status. But I'm guessing that the majority of the players have a similar world view so I can't say I'm surprised.

It's my birthday next month and I'm toying with the idea of a game to celebrate. Not sure if I will be fussy about vaccinations but so many in my crew are on the way anyway that it's probably moot.

I'm really glad to see this discussion as I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle things.
I'm patiently waiting :) Hopefully we'll see a case and fatality count in the Houston area drop to insignificant numbers in the next month or two such that we're past this and you can be comfortable opening up again.

So you're right that being vaccinated does not give you a magic force field that stops the virus from entering your body. What it does is train your body to fight the virus faster and more effectively.

This does a couple of things: it reduces or eliminates symptoms when you are exposed to the virus, and it reduces viral load (how much of the virus is in your body), which makes it much harder for the virus to spread from you to other people. This is how herd immunity works - people who are vaccinated are much less likely to spread the virus to people who aren't vaccinated, and thus the unvaccinated people gain some indirect protection.

So, being vaccinated protects you directly, but it also makes it harder for you to spread the virus to other people.

All studies show that vaccination is highly effective in preventing disease. For example: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

Yes, I think I'm on the same page as you. The vaccine prevents disease, meaning it prevents you from becoming ill. When I said "it does not prevent an infection from occurring" , what I mean is that it does not stop COVID from entering your body. A vaccinated person can come in contact with the virus, but never get sick/diseased because their immune system has the jump on it, because of the vaccine. However, it's still possible for that person to transmit the virus to someone else, although from what I understand that is less likely with an asymptomatic vaccinated person than from an asymptomatic non-vaccinated person.

We have a group that has been playing for many years of middle aged guys and now a handful of young players. The primary group is either vaccinated or has had Covid but we have one hard anti-vaxer who will not get vaccinated. All but one of the young guys will probably not get vaccinated. I think the short term future for my game looks like playing outside, vaccinated (final dose), recently had Covid, or must wear a mask. I am not going to ask anyone to see their papers.
This describes my game fairly closely, although we play in a well ventilated basement and probably have 2-3 that will refuse to get vaccinated. We’ve been playing with masks. And my requirements will likely be the same as yours in the future. Either be vaccinated, have natural immunity based on having covid, or wear a mask. The people who are against the vaccine, of course, are also against the masks. Not sure how this will go over.

And to stay on topic, I'm planning to start hosting again in May. I've told my players that I want everyone to be a) 10-14 days symptom free after a COVID infection, b) 10-14 days past receiving your last immunization shot, or c) not in a high-risk group for COVID. I've also told them that for now I will limit the games to one table, and I will not require masks or proof of infection/immunization.

I trust most folks in my group to follow the guidelines, and I also want them to be clear on the risks and make the decision to play/not play with that understanding.

So obese people have to get vaccinated or have had covid to play?
I believe they should, or they should wear a mask while playing to protect themselves. I don't plan to ask for BMI or break out a scale, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom