Bringing a newbie into my game (1 Viewer)

Absolutely recommend that he do some online research, watch some videos, and try to have at least a basic understanding of betting strategy and what hands to play and not to play. Explain the concept of premium opening hands and warn him about chasing draws, especially those that are not to the nuts.

This right here. I'd tell him that holdem is probably quite different than poker games that he's used to, but also very learnable. Maybe share some beginner videos with him. I personally think you can learn about 80% of what's learnable in holdem in just a few sessions, with a little guidence. Then let him come play and let him decide.

Bring him In and raise the stakes! Run it once :D

Having money is a good advantage where scared money gets put to the test.

or… set a max buyin / Lower the blinds / high buy sit and go.

Tell him how much the big loser lost tonight when you see him. See if he gets a pained look on his face. That will tell the tale.

Pretty common behaviour for new non-poker players. Some of my regs were like this when they started. But once they got into the game they never did it again. Seems they need to see how much effort goes into setup and how inconvenient flaking is for everyone before they care.

A social friend heard about and has asked to join my long-running poker game, but I’m worried about how he will fit in.

The friend says he has played poker before, but from our conversation it sounds like it was way back in the days of draw and stud. He’s in his early 60s, and did not seem very sure what NLHE is. Has played some blackjack.

Background: This game has run for about 14 years (not all at my place), and has escalated over that time from an amateurish $30 tournament to a tough 2/5 game.

The current players are pretty sharp, and all know each other well. We’re not world-beaters, but everyone is an experienced player. Some are better than others, but there are no real fish in the game.

The friend has a very high income and plenty of savings... Probably more than anyone else in the game. So he can afford to lose for a long while—though no one likes losing, even when the money is no big deal to them.

He’s smart, a scientist, graduate of high-powered schools. So he should be able to “get” the rules and basic strategy pretty fast—though as we all know this can be an unforgiving and frustrating game. Just when you think you’ve mastered it you realize again how little you really know.

So my next game is about a week away. I’m trying to think what I need to do to (a) help the friend prepare, and (b) also prep my regs for welcoming a new inexperienced guy. I’m concerned that at least a couple of them will be annoyed if he plays slow or uncertainly. And also that he may get ruthlessly exploited. Not much I can do about that... But I’d like this to work out.

Any thoughts on how to integrate a newbie to a tough game?

(If someone else were asking, I might advise myself not to even try it. But the friend says he really wants to join, and I am not really in a position to turn away potential players.)
What about sending him to play cash at the most local public cardroom near you/him. Let THEM teach him about blinds/betting/etiquette. Tell him to put in a 2-3 hour session. If he can't be bothered traveling to get 'broken in' one time, he probably isn't that interested....

What about sending him to play cash at the most local public cardroom near you/him. Let THEM teach him about blinds/betting/etiquette. Tell him to put in a 2-3 hour session. If he can't be bothered traveling to get 'broken in' one time, he probably isn't that interested....
Doesn't seem a friendly way to treat a friend ☹️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom