Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (4 Viewers)

Generally speaking, oiling chips is bullshit.
No argument that new CPCs benefit from a bit of oil. But just about everything else about oiling chips is nuts, from the methods to the reasons to the chips people are oiling - it’s all too much.
My bad:cautious:
1000022505.gif

Tried oiling once on some older RHC chips, stopped after 3 chips. I have a set of 16 year old ASM customs, never oiled, beautifully handled just like new but vibrant colors. I’d say this is the way.

No flea bites. That’s a problem I have with soft Paulsons.

I’ve oiled many chips and while it has a positive effect I think 90% of the energy we (the hive mind) put into thinking about how to oil right we should be putting into how to clean right. Oiling addresses the symptom of cleaning badly in a way that causes fading and dried out chips.

Disclaimer. I have never handled brand new CPCs so that may be different.

Oiling anything on the more plasticy end of the spectrum past CCs seems insane.

I think oiling is really only efficacious when the chips are dried out.

View attachment 1300563
View attachment 1300564

Mummified 50 years old for example.

I know @Hotus777 is receiving some 20 year old chips that could use the same. Anything else though not much difference.
They just came in today, and they are in waaaaaay better shape than I was imagining. One so far was missing a label, which kind of sucks, but I’m going to finish sieving through them tomorrow!

I need some suggestions on cleaning them though. I’ve cleaned a rack of mgms with similar gunk on them and they dried out pretty bad. Even after applying oil, they didn’t really come back to life.. not sure if it was me or if the chips were already like that? They wouldn’t shuffle properly either, almost as if they were getting stuck..

They just came in today, and they are in waaaaaay better shape than I was imagining. One so far was missing a label, which kind of sucks, but I’m going to finish sieving through them tomorrow!

I need some suggestions on cleaning them though. I’ve cleaned a rack of mgms with similar gunk on them and they dried out pretty bad. Even after applying oil, they didn’t really come back to life.. not sure if it was me or if the chips were already like that? They wouldn’t shuffle properly either, almost as if they were getting stuck..
On the other hand, I’ve cleaned several other racks and didn’t have the same results, but I just don’t want to damage these beauties. They already look dried out.

The main reason to oil chips is that you have just cleaned them, leaving them dry and drab AF.
^^This is the way

I think you’ll find that some peoples’ main reason for oiling them are because they just bought them or because they think they should or because they want to take pictures of them or because they think it will protect them from stains….
^^ Agree with this as well, not a fan of shiny, oiled chips. Just enough oil after cleaning to get them back to normal. Less is moar in this case.

Generally speaking, oiling chips is bullshit.
No argument that new CPCs benefit from a bit of oil. But just about everything else about oiling chips is nuts, from the methods to the reasons to the chips people are oiling - it’s all too much.
Every actual compressed clay chip that I own that has needed to be cleaned, has absolutely benefited from being oiled after cleaning. Burt, ASM and Paulsons.

I suppose there is an opinion in here. But I'm going to phrase it as a question, because I would genuinely like to know the answer.

Why do some people in here hide their profile? Here's the opinion part - it seems kinda dumb if they are also going to list chips for sale.

I heard someone was selling some chips and I wanted to see their ad. I didn't have very much info, except for the seller's name. So I click on their name in another thread, and boom! Profile hidden. Unable to see their posting history. I suppose someone else will do more work and find these chips and buy them. It just won't be me. Maybe just my loss? What exactly is it that they are trying to hide or don't want other people here to see?

Other times I will remember that I was looking at something someone posted, and I want to find that post again. I remember their name, but that's really the only way I can easily find the post. Profile blacked! Oh well. So really, just trying to understand the advantage to profile blocking. Maybe I need to be doing it too and I just don't realize what I'm missing!

I suppose there is an opinion in here. But I'm going to phrase it as a question, because I would genuinely like to know the answer.

Why do some people in here hide their profile? Here's the opinion part - it seems kinda dumb if they are also going to list chips for sale.

I heard someone was selling some chips and I wanted to see their ad. I didn't have very much info, except for the seller's name. So I click on their name in another thread, and boom! Profile hidden. Unable to see their posting history. I suppose someone else will do more work and find these chips and buy them. It just won't be me. Maybe just my loss? What exactly is it that they are trying to hide or don't want other people here to see?

Other times I will remember that I was looking at something someone posted, and I want to find that post again. I remember their name, but that's really the only way I can easily find the post. Profile blacked! Oh well. So really, just trying to understand the advantage to profile blocking. Maybe I need to be doing it too and I just don't realize what I'm missing!
Seems shady to me. I'm sure some people do it out of a general paranoia or thirst for privacy? But to me it says "I don't want you to easily see what I've been doing here on PCF."

Seems shady to me. I'm sure some people do it out of a general paranoia or thirst for privacy? But to me it says "I don't want you to easily see what I've been doing here on PCF."
The paranoia thing was all I could come up with too. That's why I asked. I figured I must be missing something else.

Or maybe... A lot of people, when they first joined here, were just playing it safe. You know, a strange, new forum on the big scary internet. Then once they were comfortable, and felt more at home, just never went back and changed it!

Even when profile is limited you can still just touch the number under “messages“ and it shows you their posts, same thing for feedback and media.
Not sure what you mean. When I click on a name of someone who has their profile blocked, I get this. There is nowhere else to go from here.

1711673125550.png

Not sure what you mean. When I click on a name of someone who has their profile blocked, I get this. There is nowhere else to go from here.

View attachment 1301139
Don’t try to go to their full profile page. When you touch the name and the small window pops up with their stats, click on the number under messages.
Like this window:
IMG_5522.jpeg

Last edited:
@JeepologyOffroad i can’t see your profile…..

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
HA!!! I was going to call him out to, but I was waiting to see if anyone else liked my post and also had theirs blocked.

Anyone else, if you want to know, just like my post. I'm checking out everyone who does.

None of the settings quite make sense or at least are obvious as to what they do - and you can’t test your own profile.

Awhile back I thought I was making my profile private to non logged in visitors - which makes a lot of sense to do. No idea what I was actually doing though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom