Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (13 Viewers)

I think there are many customs that are trash, but they just don’t get torn apart because they are customs that someone spent their time and money on. And the owner loves em so that’s what matters in the end.
I’m on the same page with you. As much as I like to give my opinions, when somebody proudly posts their new CPC customs and they stink, I keep that opinion to myself.
When a set reaches the status of the Tigers or when it gets debated for hall of fame, that’s a different story.

I’m on the same page with you. As much as I like to give my opinions, when somebody proudly posts their new CPC customs and they stink, I keep that opinion to myself.
When a set reaches the status of the Tigers or when it gets debated for hall of fame, that’s a different story.
I won’t trash somebody’s customs, and I have seen quite a few I don’t like, or, to be honest, can’t stand. I agree with you that the mass produced stuff opens itself up for more dialogue and honest assessments.

Your take has me curious. Do you feel this way about all ceramics, or just Tina’s in general? If just Tina’s, why is that?

Tina’s specifically.

It’s great that there’s a low barrier for entry, but like I said in an earlier post, when everything is special, nothing is special.

That low cost of entry means that anyone could do it, therefore not special or HOF worthy.

That doesn’t mean everyone actually truly can, I mean there some fuckimg hideous CPC customs, but it makes it way easier, therefore not special.

Of course someone could come out with something that could blow everyone away.

Awaiting my future appearance in the OOC thread for the previous statement ^^^

There’s been talk of Tina chips going into the hall of fame, which would be pure bullshit.

I must disagree, but allow me to qualify.

There is nothing wrong with ceramic chips being nominated for HOF. It depends on the design, not necessarily the manufacturer or material. Cost of production should be irrelevant.

I must disagree, but allow me to qualify.

There is nothing wrong with ceramic chips being nominated for HOF. It depends on the design, not necessarily the manufacturer or material. Cost of production should be irrelevant.
Is the HOF based on looks only? Some very nice looking Tina customs but majority of Tina chips would rate pretty low for me for feel, I am also leery of what longterm durability.

Tina’s specifically.

It’s great that there’s a low barrier for entry, but like I said in an earlier post, when everything is special, nothing is special.

That low cost of entry means that anyone could do it, therefore not special or HOF worthy.

That doesn’t mean everyone actually truly can, I mean there some fuckimg hideous CPC customs, but it makes it way easier, therefore not special.

Of course someone could come out with something that could blow everyone away.

Awaiting my future appearance in the OOC thread for the previous statement ^^^
If you’ve seen me post, you would realize I’m the last person that would agree with the participation trophy nonsense. I just feel the Tina stuff is a bit different. It opens the door for those that might not have the coin to drop on CPCs, or to do a “custom” Paulson relabel, but still allows them to come up with something that fits their theme.

Even though I probably could splurge on a CPC set, to me, they just aren’t worth the money. Tina allows me to screw something up and not break the bank.

Is the HOF based on looks only? Some very nice looking Tina customs but majority of Tina chips would rate pretty low for me for feel, I am also leery of what longterm durability.
I don't think HOF is based on feel. But not solely looks either. Variety of things. Originality, meaning behind the set, maybe some sets move the needle and inspire, looks, how it plays together.. it's a lot of things I'd say.

I do think it would be extremely difficult for tina customs that mimic clay to be HOF nominated myself. Now Tina customs that take advantage of the full print area of the chip and doing something unique and doing it well... I think that is plenty worthy to be up for consideration.

Last edited:
If you’ve seen me post, you would realize I’m the last person that would agree with the participation trophy nonsense. I just feel the Tina stuff is a bit different. It opens the door for those that might not have the coin to drop on CPCs, or to do a “custom” Paulson relabel, but still allows them to come up with something that fits their theme.

Even though I probably could splurge on a CPC set, to me, they just aren’t worth the money. Tina allows me to screw something up and not break the bank.

Oh I don’t disgaree about them from a cost standpoint necessarily, but it makes it way too easy and waters down the idea of the HOF to me

I disagree with Phil? Aw mannnnnn.

But I do disagree, something being more available due to lower price point shouldn’t impact HoF.

If someone creates CGC and makes chips, and charges 5x as much as CPC, would those sets be more HoF worthy? If CPC suddenly allows everyone to order sets for free, would that somehow water down the best ones made?

This site is already filled with sentiments around exclusion to the nth degree. As Chris would put it, generally this place is too fancy or bougie for me already. No need to make it even more so.

I wouldn't say "only", but the overall design matters. I would use criteria like how it takes advantage of the medium, is the design esthetic consistent throughout all denominations, is it practical as well as beautiful, etc.

PCF is often described as a Ferrari forum for the chip world.

I don’t go on Ferrari forums and ask that huyundai’s and kitted cars be admitted to their HOF.

Do they even have a HOF @DirtyTIVA ?
What meets your criteria of what should be included?

My probably unpopular opinion:

I'm sure nobody means anything by it and I'm not trying to be overly sensitive. I'm not marching in the streets over it, not telling anyone they can't say it. Maybe people think it sounds cool, no idea how that phrase came to be in this context. But as someone who has had someone very close to me murdered, every time I see that term I just feel like there has to be a better way to describe modifying chips than "murdering" them.
To be clear, no one using that term equates a clay/polymer disk with a human life. I am very for your loss.

I guess we could use the term “permanently alter” or “destroy”, but it don't see this one changing.

Others have suggested changing it as well because they live in countries where the authorities monitor their email and subject lines like “help me with murder” can be misconstrued by the authorities.

PCF is often described as a Ferrari forum for the chip world.

I don’t go on Ferrari forums and ask that huyundai’s and kitted cars be admitted to their HOF.

Do they even have a HOF @DirtyTIVA ?

You’d be surprised. I don’t really wander through those sections though. These are enough for me.

1710526623037.png

Apparently there is a section for “replica” cars. The site owner doesn’t understand it but it exists.

I bet the PCF politics sub forum is just as spicy as theirs.

This site is already filled with sentiments around exclusion to the nth degree. As Chris would put it, generally this place is too fancy or bougie for me already. No need to make it even more so.
I think there’s always been room for all kinds, both on this site and on its predecessor, from what I was able to glean. There were long discussions about dyeing plastic chips (was it nexgens?) and even laser-printing on them. Definitely budget alternatives, probably not unlike the Tina chips of today. Choking that stuff out would be a mistake.

@BarrieJ3 there’s no need to water it down either :)
There is a point to your post I’ll give you that. I collect samples. My wall is filled with literally $10k in custom samples. Almost all cpc.

And while I have favorites, I collect ALL CPC customs. With their lead time, with the cost, etc., there is undoubtedly a certain level of “barrier to market” if you will.

And yes, when everyone sends me their Tina’s im like ummmm…..well that was $3. Idk that it should go next to this $80 sample. So yes, there’s a bit of watering down there.

People aren’t going to lose sleep over designing their $300 set as much as those who can’t even stomach submitting their cpc without making 12000 changes first.

But we’re talking about HoF, which isn’t a full collection but instead a highlight of the greatest concepts and creativity brought to life. There’s a limit to 2 or 3 or whatever per year. Adding more chip sets and designs and possible customs to be added doesn’t water it down at all, and in fact make it even harder to be admitted.

Some of these HOF arguments are remarkably obtuse. The underlying platform selected for custom chips should not matter in the least (and does not to me whatsoever).

Ceramics (regardless of manucturer), compression clays (regardless of manufacturer), and plastics (regardless of manufacturer) should all compete equally. View each end-product and all of it's components (design, cohesion, beauty, functionality, etc.).

CPC custom clay sets (1000's of them made) definitely hold no high ground here, nor do inexpensive custom sets (ceramic or otherwise) deserve a lower class status (also 1000's made).

Anybody lucky enough to have made a custom set through TRK, Paulson, BCC, Abiatti, Matsui, or GOCC (all with much smaller produced custom set numbers) may have something that is 'more exclusive' than custom sets from Chipco, PGI, Sun-Fly, BRPro, Burt/ASM/CPC, Eastony, or Tina, but that doesn't make them better, more desired, or more worthy of HOF consideration simply because of material or origin.

If that’s the case, let’s make a real HoF gauntlet.

Anyone who wants to nominate their chip set, pay $1k. Your set is nominated for HoF. Committee and public vote, winners get their $1k back and split the losers money.

Now your HoF is exclusive and high end.
I like this a lot actually.

Adds an element of degen in the spirit of the game. For me, it would be like min buying into the big boy table at a meetup but knowing I'm going to get wrecked.

Same. I just ordered 1000 Tina chips with a design I like. Better than a Walmart dice chips set, not as nice as CPC. They will work great for my game, my players will probably barely notice past the first time I bust them out, and I'll spend $2000+ less on them that I can use for something else fun. All good in my book! And I can easily do another set later if I decide to without worrying about the money I have tied up in them.

I disagree. When somebody comes up with a unique design for ceramics, I’ll applaud them. The problem I have with Tina chips is that most of the time, they’re just copies of existing clay chips, which I think is crap, and the small percent of the time people do actually make customs, they’re still copying clay styles onto a ceramic, which I think misses the mark.
So while I’ll agree that most Tina chips I’ve seen do not belong in the hall of fame, I wouldn’t reduce the entire medium to participation trophy status - they have potential.
While I’m generally concerned about agreeing with you so much recently, I think this is right on.

What I think creates so much distaste around Tinas isn’t the underlying product. It’s how it’s being used to mass replicate existing designs.

After all the coaching from folks here and improvements, it’s an incredibly solid ceramic product for the price point. It’s not Zwilling’s fault that people buy their knifes, chip em on bones, and then destroy them on a pull through sharpener. But they’re definitely going to look worse than a beautiful Japanese knife maintained and photographed by a chefs knife enthusiast.

The disappointing use of the medium does not a bad product make.

I also think if SunFly, BR PRo or another vendor had come out with them and had marketed them people would feel different but the shadowy Chinese “Tina” is a bit of a turn off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom