Concurrent cash and tournament tables? (1 Viewer)

Tony_M

Pair
Reaction score
New to the forum and been reading a lot. I'm gearing up to start up a home game with friends soon. Have a whole bunch of chip samples on the way and doing a lot of pre-planning to make sure it starts smoothly. I'm not new to poker but haven't run games like this before.

Planning on running tournament style to start and expect a cash game will probably start up when enough people get felted. My first thought was to get a versatile set that could accommodate either cash or tournament games or both. Even though I expect my games to be all friends, the thought occurred to me that "mistakes" might happen transitioning from one table to another. How do you guys handle this?

Should I just wait till color-up (and every chip is accounted for) before allowing cash game to start? Or just ensure the set is deep enough to not have same colors in both games?

Is there a way to safely do this without investing in multiple chip sets?

Define safe...

I guess it could be done...you likely wouldn't be using the same denoms in your cash game that you're using in tournament, unless you're doing a T25 tournament. What stakes is your cash game going to be?? If you're running a .25/.50 or even 1/2 you could probably get by with the same set. Do a T100 and don't give out 100's in the cash game.

You're just better off with getting two sets, especially if you want to be able to spread both simultaneously. Besides the obvious security issues (pocket a T25, now you have $25 extra in a cash game), the denominations won't line up well, and it opens people up to being confused or making honest mistakes.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd say you're better off going for less expensive chips that you can have enough of to make two sets. 20c/ea slugged chips are just as functional as nicer ones! If you're hosting 10 people, and need 1000 chips between cash and tournament, you can still get it for less than $300. If you're on an extreme budget, make one of the sets dice chips.

Or just ensure the set is deep enough to not have same colors in both games?
This is functionally the same as having a separate cash and tournament set. I would go with different designs simply to avoid any confusion between the two. Either way you go, just make sure there are no chips that play in both games.

Last edited:
Separate sets.

No other way.
Sure there is, but again, this all depends on how it's set up. Run a T100 and a cash game with fracs, 1's, 5's and 25's and the one set never crosses denominations. Simple.

I do agree with the sentiment though, Ken, that your better off just getting two separate sets.

One flexible set is always a way to go. With all my sets being cash only I have to pick up a tourney set for an upcoming event.

Many ways to skin that cat huh.

One flexible set is always a way to go. With all my sets being cash only I have to pick up a tourney set for an upcoming event.

Many ways to skin that cat huh.
And the clear answer is...WE BUY MORE CHIPS, WOOHOO! When one of the possible solutions is we get to buy more chips, well, that's a sign from the gods, that HAS to be the right way to go!

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I was already leaning towards two sets after thinking about it and you've all talked me into it. I just love it when strangers tell me to spend more money!!!
If you truly love that, you will fit right in here.

Welcome to PCF.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom