Cleaning Horseshoe Cleveland Chips Question ????? (1 Viewer)

BigSlick4523

Full House
Reaction score
Hey what's up everyone I am cleaning some of my Horseshoe Cleveland Chips I don't have a Ultrasonic or anything crazy like that just plain Dishsoap and Water

after cleaning them they ae very hard to shuffle and almost like a slippery feeling it's kind of hard to explain has anyone experienced this before ?

also I do not want to Oil the chips I find that makes them hard to shuffle aswell does anyone know what I could do to make them less slippery feeling

its just hard to shuffle them and when I sit at a poker table its just habit to shuffle you know how it goes any help would be appreciated thanks

Are there still traces of your dishsoap on there? The paulsons themselfes should not be slippery, so I suspect something that you should be able to rinse off with clear or distilled water and a toothbrush.

yes I wash them really good after cleaning them with the soap it's hard to explain its just hard to shuffle the chips in your hands once they are cleaned is all so I was wondering if there was something I could do to make them not feel like that

it's almost like a chalky feel to them and its just hard to shuffle them

Gonna stretch and say that I am pretty sure what you are experience is just clean chips. With a bunch of tacky grime on them they have better grip. But then they aren’t clean. I also like the feel of clean Paulsons but maybe not for everyone?

If they’re used RHC chips, they can feel quite smooth and slippery when clean, almost feel like plastic instead of the chalky clay of a new chip.
I also find after cleaning chips, my hands are also clean...and without any natural oils, handling chips feels slipperier than usual.

I've only ever cleaned used RHC chips in my ultrasonic. And I've oiled them after. They shuffle very nicely. The few that I've cleaned by hand that are used, I did not need to oil. And those also shuffle very nicely.

I would expect that any other RHC chip would behave similar to the horseshoe Cincinnati. So if they are used, I would expect them to shuffle very nicely after they were cleaned. They shouldn't be chalky. They should have a grip that's not as good as a chalky mint chip, but their smoother edges should make for easy shuffling.

what part of the shuffle are you finding to be too difficult? Is it that the chips are too slick and you can't grip them with your fingers? Or is it because they don't come together nicely and just stay as stacks in your hands?

the shuffling the chips is just hard cause after they are cleaned they just dont shuffle good prob just gonna take time yeah harder to comeplete the shuffle of the chips

I have been using this brush to clean them with

Attachments

• 61UonsfGwKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61UonsfGwKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
I have been using this brush to clean them with
The bristles on that may be too fat to really get in all the crevices, especially the corners of the hat and the cane.
i have been using a natural bristle nail brush. The bristles are very thin and they actually get thinner at their tips.
8956782B-7F70-408B-A27E-2BB2CD3D2FA2.jpeg

Maybe its the dishsoap??? I'm just throwing shit out there.

I'm very much a noob, but have managed to clean alot of chips on my journey, thus far.

I have ONLY ever used Dawn Ultra for washing. I pre soak, in warm soapy water. Barrel at a time or 5 to 10. It all depends how bad the chips are, how old they are, and how vulnerable the inlay looks. I don't want to soak a chip for too long. I also haven't yet soaked hot stamps.

I also use a toothbrush to do the cleaning. I find some soft forgiving bristles, help get into the Hat & canes and clean them out.

I oil each and every chip I clean. That's me though. I may start drinking the stuff soon, but that may cause some other unwanted reactions...

Get an ultrasonic. Just do it. You will curse yourself for having never purchased one before now. You can always resell it after your done if you want.

The bristles on that may be too fat to really get in all the crevices, especially the corners of the hat and the cane.
i have been using a natural bristle nail brush. The bristles are very thin and they actually get thinner at their tips.
View attachment 596452
are these bristles hard though ? seems like the harder the bristle the easier to clean

I used soft bristled toothbrush with hand soap in warm water. Soaked them in water for five minutes per batch and then got all the dirt off. Rinsed with clean warm water, and dried.

Make sure to oil after!

I just always thought a harder bristle brush would be easier to scrub the hooker juice off

I just always thought a harder bristle brush would be easier to scrub the hooker juice off
It is, but I am worried that the harder brush was too abrasive on the surface. Some of the chips had quite a bit of fading and/or the mold looked much less pronounced than a mint one.

True, a small soak then I use the side of the nail brush with the shorter bristles. They’re a bit firmer but still soft enough to be safe.
It gets out all the gunk.

My wife bought the one I have years ago, but I’ve seen them on Amazon, you might also try Walmart or bed bath and beyond.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom