Jig for cleaning chips (1 Viewer)

MemphisFats

Two Pair
Reaction score
I’m currently in the process of cleaning quite a few chips.
Rather than doing it one by one I had the idea of making a jig so I could do multiple at one time. I don’t know if other people are already doing this? I’ve never seen anything on here about cleaning/scrubbing more than one chip at a time.
I was able to get some thin acrylic like plastic from work and drill 10 40mm holes in it. The chips sit really nicely in the plastic and I can now scrub 10 chips at a time! It’s literally 10 times faster!
The before and after pictures attached are about 30 seconds scrubbing. I then take a toothpick and scrape out the gunk not removed by the scrub, a quick second scrub and they are good to go!
Just thought I’d share this incase it gives anyone the idea to do something similar. What’s the old saying, ‘work smarter, not harder’.
Memphis

Attachments

• IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5113.jpeg
    IMG_5113.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5120.jpeg
    IMG_5120.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5121.jpeg
    IMG_5121.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5204.png
    IMG_5204.png
    349.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5203.png
    IMG_5203.png
    749.1 KB · Views: 95
That's a cool idea!
I recommend a small soak in a bucket for a few minutes to loosen up the dirt first, then use a soft bristle brush, instead of that scrubber. If you use a brush and go in different directions, you may not even need the toothpicks.

That's a cool idea!
I recommend a small soak in a bucket for a few minutes to loosen up the dirt first, then use a soft bristle brush, instead of that scrubber. If you use a brush and go in different directions, you may not even need the toothpicks.
I do soak them in warm dish soap liquid first. I have started using a nail brush instead of the scrubber, as you said, it does a better job. Unfortunately still need the toothpicks though, these chips were dirty!!

Re the ultrasonic thread. warm water with soap will do nicely with a tooth brush after a brief shake. I fit approx 16 39mm and 18 36mm per tray and run approx 39-42 and I suggest 39ish for those leaded chips. the ultrasonic will loose the grime then a brush with a tooth brush to loosen the rest followed by a reshake in the ultrasonic and done. approx 30-40 seconds pre shake then 20-30 seconds post tooth brush or something.

I just used a 40mm hole saw in a standard battery drill, nothing fancy at all.
The hardest thing was probably finding a 40mm hole saw, it’s not a very common size. They don’t sell that size in Home Depot, here in Canada at least, I picked mine up in at local electrical supplier.
It’s also worth taking a bit of time to layout the chips on the acrylic to work out how to space them out correctly, roughly mark the centre of each chip and get drilling!
Good luck and send some pictures of the process and finished product.
Memphis

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom