Chipco Chips stored in racks - Damage? (1 Viewer)

NotRealNameNoSir

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hey party people. I just got a set of ChipCos that I love, wow, feel/weight/texture/sound is all really great, very happy. Anyone on the fence reading these, definitely try them, qua-li-ty.

I've got racks for them, but many of the barrels fit very tight to them, takes some thumbwork to get them 20 across, shown below. I dont mind, the racks not breaking and they look fine, but is there a chance this slightly damages the chip over time? What if the bagpiper kills me and I keep them stored like this for a year+?

They stack perfectly now, I'm just paranoid about losing that. I searched but most discussion is about racks damaging chips is worried about the chips below the rack
20240507_224015.jpg

Shown below is with only a little pushing. Slight push down would make it uniform but its a tight fit and does take a little effort.
20240508_081718.jpg
20240508_081846.jpg

Chipco's do fit snug in their branded racks, one of the things I always like about them. My fear is that loose fitting chips can lead to warpage over time.

My experience had been that rotating the barrel, slightly, while inserting the last chip will usually do the trick.

Chipco's do fit snug in their branded racks, one of the things I always like about them. My fear is that loose fitting chips can lead to warpage over time.

My experience had been that rotating the barrel, slightly, while inserting the last chip will usually do the trick.
Thats good to hear, okay. I was surprised at how snug. Ive got new toy syndrome, I didnt want to end up damaging them in some way so I'm overprotective!

The only problem with Chipco racks is usually in two of the barrels. They have a little nipple of plastic you have to pop off with a flathead screwdriver.
Agreed. The extra flashing can be quite sharp. I used an xacto blade to take the flashing off, and it seemed to be on every Chipco rack I had.
The flashing tends to be toward the ends in these spots:
flashing.jpeg

I would be very surprised to hear of ceramic chip warping due to storage in any normal temperature setting, even tight in racks.
Love to read this. Most likely racked in a Versa or birdcage in a home, not warehousing it so we're good. Its not like they're Kems or something!

Nipples identified, but the barrels are tight as soon as I go to put the barrel in the rack, its not that it doesn't lie flat the barrel is just wider than the rack in certain cases.

Wonderful people have talked me out of my fears, these are tough well made chips that can withstand the slight pressure. Thanks y'all, highly advise these chips.

Nice pickup on the Chipco limit set.

:tup:
Thank you! Very excited, really did fit the bill, ridiculously cheap but in great condition, and I now feel why people prefer this texture/weight/chip to the other ceramics/blanks, love it. These are not leaving my possession.

And WTF, why did nobody tell me I spelled Chipco wrong in the thread title? I was sober too, damnit. Fixed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom