Chip Milling: preferred method? (1 Viewer)

TheDuke

Full House
Reaction score
It sounds like there are 2 main approaches to chip milling. Drill press and using a router. CNC is another option but seems cost prohibitive for a DIYer.

Between drill press and router, which one produces better results? Does anyone have experience with both techniques and able to speak about the pros/cons of each?

I'm leaning towards drill press just because of the potential mess of chip dust vs chip shavings.

People should look for Maker Labs or the equivalent in their large cities. My brother joined one and they have CNC, laser cutter, etc.... and it’s like $20 a month to use anything there. He started a setup for me on the CNC but he’s not a chipper so he was suggesting things like turning down the radius of the chip to get sharp edges, removing material across the whole face to “clean them up” and the few chips I gave him he CNC’d a circle completely out to and through the hats “because it looked cleaner”.

I haven’t given him any more chips and I won’t unless I’m there to supervise.

but he’s not a chipper so he was suggesting things like turning down the radius of the chip to get sharp edges, removing material across the whole face to “clean them up” and the few chips I gave him he CNC’d a circle completely out to and through the hats “because it looked cleaner”.
Your chips had some Top Hats and Canes on them. Let me take care of that for you...
1614445214155.png

As someone who uses the router method, I would generally recommend the drill press method. The waste that it produces is easier to clean up, if you've got a good way of centering then it can be done fairly quickly.

The router method offers consistent depth of milling. You can theoretically get more precise in your calculated milling diameters using the same bit as long as you have a good series of jigs. It creates A LOT of dust, so should be done in a dedicated workshop space or outside where cleanup is easier.

CNC milling is best. It also offers the ability to do shaped recesses for the appropriate labels.

Flatten your chips before milling. Mill depth is always screwed up by chip warping, no matter which method.

removing material across the whole face to “clean them up” and the few chips I gave him he CNC’d a circle completely out to and through the hats “because it looked cleaner”.

I haven’t given him any more chips and I won’t unless I’m there to supervise.

That's not murder, that's a massacre! Oh, the humanity!

I initially tried the CNC route but the tolerances are hard to overcome. Chips are all different heights ( fractions of a mm, but that matters when you only want to remove ~1mm . So I switched to using a drill press and once I got it dialed in with a holding secure and centering, its all good.

PXL_20210220_225244005.jpg

My preferred method is to have someone else do it(out of context)

That's probably ideal. But I do enjoy working with my hands so figure it may be fun to give it a try. Although there will likely be a major chip massacre and some chips will die during the learning process.

I would have bet money on the plunger router being the best solution for milling, i really am surprised the drill press won the battle. Now i am not knocking the drill press, i actually love my drill press.
I just thought that with upcut router bits, slow ramp up start, better micro depth control, more speed control it would just win the challenge.

I’ve milled about 3 racks so far, drill press with the Magnate 7/8” bit. Beautiful control on the depth, but needs to be done freehand for each side (not using stop guide).
I found I have better control if I mill it in stages, going up and down to remove rather than trying to get to the right depth on the first pull. It takes longer but less chance of going too far.
My only casualty was early on when I hadn’t secured the chip well enough and it spun and wobbled, making a quasi-star-shaped inlay.

i wasn't arguing the technique, it has been posted many times as highly successful process.

I was just stating that i was surprised the drill press is better than the plunger. it even wins financially; what does a drill press with laser cross hairs cost $140 while a plunger router costs $250

i wasn't arguing the technique, it has been posted many times as highly successful process.

I was just stating that i was surprised the drill press is better than the plunger. it even wins financially; what does a drill press with laser cross hairs cost $140 while a plunger router costs $250
It gets even cheaper...I bought the Harbor Freight drill press for $53 on sale. I figured if I only got a few racks done with it I’d be happy, anything beyond that is gravy. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I would have bet money on the plunger router being the best solution for milling, i really am surprised the drill press won the battle. Now i am not knocking the drill press, i actually love my drill press.
I just thought that with upcut router bits, slow ramp up start, better micro depth control, more speed control it would just win the challenge.

I've milled with a bottom mount router. I think the depth control is superior. Speed of milling would be roughly similar. Selecting material for a jig is quite simple as well.

However, for lower setup cost, clean up time, and safety, the drill press method is superior.

Thanks!

All the bits are arriving this week :) Might have gone slightly overboard on the drill press!

Chris
Just bought my drill press today and will be getting my rig set up soon as well. This will really open up the door for building a custom set of chips!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom