Ceramic Hybrid -- Rolling Edge poll (matte vs glossy) (1 Viewer)

When ordering Sun-Fly 43mm ceramic hybrid chips, which rolling edge style would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Survey poll to determine interest in a new matte-finish rolling edge mold for Sun-Fly 43mm ceramic hybrids. Comments welcome.

Vote today!

@SUN-FLY Poker Chips @SUN-FLY Ringo

When creating a new matte-finish edge mold, is it specific to part of an overall mold (example: HB005), or can it be used with other molds of the same diameter? How many molds are required to make a given ceramic blank -- one or two?

Last edited:
@SUN-FLY Poker Chips @SUN-FLY Ringo

When creating a new matte-finish edge mold, is specific to part of an overall mold (example: HB005), or can it be used with other molds of the same diameter? How many molds are required to make a given ceramic blank -- one or two?

It has to be a specific mold that can only be used for a specific chip size and type.

You can even consider to add in curved patterns (for example the PolyClay patterns) into this mold. I think back in March or April @p5woody mentioned this to me, but we were deeply impacted by the pandemic, almost everyone was quanrantined, we couldn't make any new molds at that time. Now is much better, so I think you can also consider adding patterns to the new mold as well.

I’m kind of all about more options. Waiting for the development of a 48/50mm hybrid.

I’m not familiar with ceramic hybrids, but, from what I’ve seen/read/watched, they seem to be a ceramic chip with an inlay. Is that correct? Also, do they have a squared edge, or is there a bevel to them like other ceramics? I can’t vote just yet because I’m not familiar enough with these chips, but anything resembling true ‘clay’ chips seems like a win in my book!

I’m not familiar with ceramic hybrids, but, from what I’ve seen/read/watched, they seem to be a ceramic chip with an inlay. Is that correct? Also, do they have a squared edge, or is there a bevel to them like other ceramics?
The Sun-Fly polyinno ceramic hybrid chips are ceramic material using a mold with a center recess that is designed to accept a laminated adhesive-backed label, which is added after the ceramic blank has been dye-sublimation printed.

Current versions have a slightly-rounded glossy finish rolling edge, similar to other Sun-Fly ceramic chips.

The Sun-Fly polyinno ceramic hybrid chips are ceramic material using a mold with a center recess that is designed to accept a laminated adhesive-backed label, which is added after the ceramic blank has been dye-sublimation printed.

Current versions have a slightly-rounded glossy finish rolling edge, similar to other Sun-Fly ceramic chips.

Thanks for the info! Are you in talks with Sun-Fly about potentially matte-edged chips?

Hopefully the next group buy will be using a brand new mold design, including matte-finish edges.

All 6D14 spots I hope!! ;)

How would that work since there are two different label sizes for both 39mm and 43mm chips? Would everyone have to vote for which version they like best?

The rolling edge style is specific to any given mold design, so to get a matte-finish on the rolling edge of any given mold, a brand new mold is required.

That means that none of Sun-Fly's existing molds -- polychrom, polyclay, or polyinno, in any size, style, or configuration -- will be affected, unless each one were to be retooled individually. That's a lot of molds to replace or add an alternate edge treatment to (at least 11 or 12).

The new mold we are designing will be something unique that has not been created before.... and will also have a matte-finish rolling edge as one of the features.

The rolling edge style is specific to any given mold design, so to get a matte-finish on the rolling edge of any given mold, a brand new mold is required.

That means that none of Sun-Fly's existing molds -- polychrom, polyclay, or polyinno, in any size, style, or configuration -- will be affected, unless each one were to be retooled individually. That's a lot of molds to replace or add an alternate edge treatment to (at least 11 or 12).

The new mold we are designing will be something unique that has not been created before.... and will also have a matte-finish rolling edge as one of the features.
50mm hybrid?

I believe the Polyclay currently is matte edge, and not glossy. Is that correct @Kid_Eastwood?

I definitely look forward to seeing how this develops!

My diamond mold polyclays are glossy edge. It is my understanding that all Sun-Fly products have glossy edges, as it is considered one of their identifying differences from competitors.
Well that's interesting. @Kid_Eastwood posted a lot of photos in his thread about his cards mold Polyclays. They didn't look near as glossy as the Prestige hybrids. But you can never be sure from just pics. I'm sure if your diamonds are glossy then all the Polyclays will be.

Well that's interesting. @Kid_Eastwood posted a lot of photos in his thread about his cards mold Polyclays. They didn't look near as glossy as the Prestige hybrids. But you can never be sure from just pics. I'm sure if your diamonds are glossy then all the Polyclays will be.
Fwiw, not all glossy edges are created equal, in my experience. I have some hybrid chips that barely look glossy at all, compared to other chips in the same set. I suspect that it is a function of mold age/usage.

My diamond mold polyclays are glossy edge. It is my understanding that all Sun-Fly products have glossy edges, as it is considered one of their identifying differences from competitors.

PolyClay have glossy edges.
I'll post a pic with :
PolyInno edges
PolyClay diamond mold edges
PolyClay cards mold edges
PolyChrom plaques edges

So that you can compare.

IMG_20200608_124222.jpg

From left to right :
- 5 x PolyChrom dealer 60mm
- 5 x PolyClay Cards mold
- 5 x PolyClay Diamond mold