• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine CDI in Illinois (2 Viewers)

So @ekricket, as I stated previously, there's nothing set in stone that requires someone to look out for fellow forum members. People are free to be as big a douchebag as they want. And you are correct, there's nothing wrong with vying for chips you might want. It's all fair game.

However, I'm not sure why you'd post that you'd offered the seller 9x the asking price, and that she was considering the offer, when you hadn't actually done so...? This, when a respected forum member had indicated he was 15 mins away, and attempting to negotiate for the chips. Don't you think your post might have affected the negotiations? And if that was your intention, it crosses into clear douchiness.

This forum doesn't have to be all rainbows and unicorns. God knows that would get old quick, but it doesn't have to be the "hunger games" either...

So @ekricket...This, when a respected forum member had indicated he was 15 mins away, and attempting to negotiate for the chips. Don't you think your post might have affected the negotiations? And if that was your intention, it crosses into clear douchiness...

Can we have a list of respected forum members vs. non-respected forum members? Just so I can be clear where everyone stands. I wouldn't want to sully my reputation or anything.

We've seen this thread over and over. Good luck ... to see which one of you guys get to take advantage of this lady and flip her chips.

Poor form.

Can we have a list of respected forum members vs. non-respected forum members? Just so I can be clear where everyone stands. I wouldn't want to sully my reputation or anything.
Good question. I already started one :p

List.png

What is the difference between a letgo listing, Craigslist or eBay?

If this was an eBay listing we would all be bidding it up to what we feel they chips are worth.

This is no different, just because someone isn't local they are still trying to buy them. Is the local person telling the seller these are worth $500 or more? Are they offering to pay close to the true value? If not then whoever is willing to do just that has every right to try to buy the chips.

Last edited:
Where do former long time residents of Maryland fit it?

Did I automatically become respected when I left 4 years ago, or is there a waiting period? :D
I should clarify that MD residents (or former residents) that will be staying at the compound in Amish country at the Massacre in Manheim are automatically on the respected list :)

Thanks to @uclaure for posting the listing in case a local could get them. Sometimes the prey gets scared and runs away when there is too much noise from the predators, so nobody gets to eat. I happened to buy a bunch of Starbursts that uclaure posted to the forum, and gave him a couple free racks as a finder's fee (selling the rest to the PCFers who had expressed interest). Keep up the good work, Aureliano, and it will pay off again for you one of these times!

P.S. My unsolicited advice for next time would be to use @detroitdad 's member location list (link below) to PM one person to try to get them, rather than the entire forum. Too many cooks in the kitchen ruin the dish.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/pcf-member-locations.9021/

Last edited:
Not sure exactly what you're getting at Jeff. Please elaborate.
I don't know anything about this lady, but I'm envisioning my wife looking at my chips after I'm dead and doing something stupid like putting them up for sale on Letgo at 1/10th or less of what they're worth and reputable people on this site falling all over themselves to take them off her hands instead of dropping her a line to tell her she might want to do some research as to what she has. The fact that you may know my wife and may not know this other lady doesn't change my OPINION about the right thing to do.

At the time @uclaure posted this thread, there were already at least two PCFers who had made a play for the chips. There is no guarantee that someone else local wasn't already trying to obtain the chips before @Payback said he was going to contact her.

Its all fair game. You find a deal and can't close it, you pass the information on. Hopefully someone else can close it. There was a bunch of starbursts recently. Someone picked them up, made it clear that he was going to add a little something for his troubles and distribute them to those that were interested. I think he even kicked a finders fee back. That's how things are supposed to go.

But once something is posted here, should I adopt an "Aw shucks" attitude just because someone else local saw it first? There's a way to be competitive and polite at the same time. And there's a way to be a douche bag. But trying for chips that someone else is also seeking is not automatically a douche bag move. IMO.

What is the difference between a letgo listing, Craigslist or eBay?

If this was an eBay listing we would all be bidding it up to what we feel they chips are worth.

This is no different, just because someone isn't local they are still trying to buy them. Is the local person telling the seller these are worth $500 or more? Are they offering to pay close to the true value? If not then whoever is willing to do just that has every right to try to buy the chips.
A letgo listing is not an auction. Craigslist is not an auction. eBay is an auction. That is the difference.

BTW, if you wonder whether I put my money where my mouth is, AMPasstime approached me to sell his Viva Las Vegas chips and I recommended he put them on eBay to get the maximum price and publicize it on Chiptalk. He sold them in lots, of which I bid and won several. Fair to him fair to me.

At the time @uclaure posted this thread, there were already at least two PCFers who had made a play for the chips. There is no guarantee that someone else local wasn't already trying to obtain the chips before @Payback said he was going to contact her.
A letgo listing is not an auction. Craigslist is not an auction. eBay is an auction. That is the difference.

Sounds like an auction to me.

I've always viewed things like Craigslist and Letgo as a garage sale.

People post a price. It's up to them to research what they're selling, and take offers accordingly. Who is to say how that person obtained those items, and how much they paid? Maybe the seller received them as a gift and would be thrilled with getting $40 for them.

I used to walk around to garage sales all the time buying things that I thought were a good investment. It's capitalism. People use their means to increase their status and situation. I didn't grow up with a lot, and I've done a lot of buying and selling of a lot of things in my life to try and improve my own situation.

I don't think anybody here did anything dishonest (unless someone lied about making an offer as was stated earlier.) She posted a price. She had several suitors at that price, and more who were willing to come in over her asking price. Nothing that happened was taking advantage of her.

If you don't know the value of what you have, don't post a set price. Say you're taking offers, or use an auction format. I'm not going to feel bad about offering someone more money than they asked for to try and secure something that is more valuable. If that makes me a bad person so be it.

I'd have loved to use those chips as a start for building a bigger set. I would probably have to pay $2 each or more per chip to fill it out as a playable set. If I'm paying 50c per chip for the first half and $2 per chip for the second half, maybe I'll feel a little bit better about the money I've invested per chip in the set.

Cliffs: I'm a bad person. Poker sorry.

If my recollection serves, she had 300 chips and a case at $40. That's more like $.14 per chip. Even better, I guess.

I offered more than $40, and also didn't know the exact chip count.

Make no mistake though, had I walked up to someone's garage and saw those marked for sale at $40 that's what I would have paid for them.

It's a little different when you have to compete with others for the item and also get the seller to hold the item for a few days until you can come get it.

If my recollection serves, she had 300 chips and a case at $40. That's more like $.14 per chip. Even better, I guess.

Actually wasn't it closer to 500 chips? At least that was what I think I remembered counting and regretting selling my CDI sets.

Upon my death my wife will receive a letter informing her of exactly how much i paid for all the shit in my basement.

She wont be happy, but at least she'll know what to do when @bentax1978 offers her $100 for all my chips to "help her clean out the basement"

Upon my death my wife will receive a letter informing her of exactly how much i paid for all the shit in my basement.

She wont be happy, but at least she'll know what to do when @bentax1978 offers her $100 for all my chips to "help her clean out the basement"

You're giving me far too much credit; I was planning on charging her $100 to clean out your basement.

My Dunes set is in a fully executed will. My 8 closest friends on this site basically run a PLO flip for the set, and then an entire bottle of Crown Royal needs to be consumed before they can leave.

Cliffs: don't go out like a sucka

EDIT: this might be the best reason to not sell the set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom