• This site contains affiliate links. If you choose to make a purchase after clicking a link, Poker Chip Forum may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Not Mine CDI in Illinois (1 Viewer)

Friday at 6:42 with 19 hours left, $760 is the current bid. Just a bit more than $40.

It'll be interesting to see where the final bid ends up. I think $1,100.

She'll definitely have a story to tell her grandkids...

"Ya, these old junky poker chips, I was gonna sell em for $40, then someone messaged me and said they was worth more, so I sold em on eBay and got $1000... for poker chips..."

I have a similar story about a SNES video game cartridge tha sold for $290. Just the cartridge.

She'll definitely have a story to tell her grandkids...

"Ya, these old junky poker chips, I was gonna sell em for $40, then someone messaged me and said they was worth more, so I sold em on eBay and got $1000... for poker chips..."

I have a similar story about a SNES video game cartridge tha sold for $290. Just the cartridge.

And somehow those people that alerted her are the villains - helped her get the true value of her item, kept someone from ripping her off because they knew the true value was hundreds more than asking price, and they denied their acquaintenance the chance to further rip off, er I mean help out, their community by not passing this incredible theft on, and instead charging them full market value - and planning to do this the entire time.

Fucking douchebags. Somebody should question their integrity and values for doing such a thing. Maybe even call them names.

Yeah, I do have two copies of Earthbound, but I bought them brand new and didn't give some 10 year old two dollars for them.

I understand why @ekricket would feel that way, and I don't blame him for thinking we are douchebags. I thought the same thing and ended up telling some sellers that their goods were worth way more than asking price, and was called names by PCF people (link below)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/chip-picking.15632/

When I realized that most of these sellers were unappreciative after me sharing my insider chip knowledge with them, I did some reflecting. In any garage sale, flea market, etc, people are looking for a score. The hope is that they find something that has a greater value to them than it does to the seller. In any transaction that is not conducted at market price, someone is getting screwed, either the buyer or the seller.

To 99.999% of the world, Paulson/TRK/ASM/BCC/CPC/etc poker chips mean nothing, and spending more than $100 on any set of chips is absolute lunacy. We just happen to be part of a very niche market who values some chips very highly, and we are willing to spend disgusting amounts of money on them.

I believe the core of this comes down to ignorance. I have absolutely zero knowledge about stamp collecting, but if I sold a stamp for $1 (what it was worth to me) and it was worth $100 to stamp collectors, the buyer isn't a douchebag for not telling me, I'm ignorant for not doing my due diligence on my product's pricing. Then again, maybe I got that stamp for free, or possibly 5 cents, and $1 is a hell of a return. To many people who I buy chips from, they are happy as a pig in shit when I offer asking price, or more, for their chips.

As for turning around and selling them to the community for market price (or higher), this does certainly happen, and I do deem it distasteful in some situations. It's only natural to think that if I got these chips for $400 and turn around and sell them for $750, that's wrong. However, when you realize that several of us on PCF spend about 15 hours a week looking for chips to bring into the community, then send $400 to a stranger via Western Union, only to hope they mail chips, which are packed absolutely shitty if they do arrive, $750 doesn't seem so bad to offset the risk, especially when the market price is $1000.

I sell a lot of chips on PCF that I find on these sites, and I always try to offer a great deal (or share the ad so someone else can get the benefit). But why can't I just sell them for the exact price I got them for? Seems like the only respectable thing to do. However, there is a very fine line between giving chipper friends a good deal and selling so low that they will immediately be resold, perhaps outside of PCF, thus providing no benefit to the community. There will always be valid arguments on either side, and I respect both of their opinions.

Tl;Dr - If given the choice between helping chippers or helping external sellers, I choose chippers every time.

I'm glad that she put these up for sale at auction for anyone to buy and will get a market price. She initially offered these chips for 8 cents apiece in a non-auction format. A more efficient market will make sure everyone gets a fair price.

I understand why @ekricket would feel that way, and I don't blame him for thinking we are douchebags. I thought the same thing and ended up telling some sellers that their goods were worth way more than asking price, and was called names by PCF people (link below)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/chip-picking.15632/

When I realized that most of these sellers were unappreciative after me sharing my insider chip knowledge with them, I did some reflecting. In any garage sale, flea market, etc, people are looking for a score. The hope is that they find something that has a greater value to them than it does to the seller. In any transaction that is not conducted at market price, someone is getting screwed, either the buyer or the seller.

To 99.999% of the world, Paulson/TRK/ASM/BCC/CPC/etc poker chips mean nothing, and spending more than $100 on any set of chips is absolute lunacy. We just happen to be part of a very niche market who values some chips very highly, and we are willing to spend disgusting amounts of money on them.

I believe the core of this comes down to ignorance. I have absolutely zero knowledge about stamp collecting, but if I sold a stamp for $1 (what it was worth to me) and it was worth $100 to stamp collectors, the buyer isn't a douchebag for not telling me, I'm ignorant for not doing my due diligence on my product's pricing. Then again, maybe I got that stamp for free, or possibly 5 cents, and $1 is a hell of a return. To many people who I buy chips from, they are happy as a pig in shit when I offer asking price, or more, for their chips.

As for turning around and selling them to the community for market price (or higher), this does certainly happen, and I do deem it distasteful in some situations. It's only natural to think that if I got these chips for $400 and turn around and sell them for $750, that's wrong. However, when you realize that several of us on PCF spend about 15 hours a week looking for chips to bring into the community, then send $400 to a stranger via Western Union, only to hope they mail chips, which are packed absolutely shitty if they do arrive, $750 doesn't seem so bad to offset the risk, especially when the market price is $1000.

I sell a lot of chips on PCF that I find on these sites, and I always try to offer a great deal (or share the ad so someone else can get the benefit). But why can't I just sell them for the exact price I got them for? Seems like the only respectable thing to do. However, there is a very fine line between giving chipper friends a good deal and selling so low that they will immediately be resold, perhaps outside of PCF, thus providing no benefit to the community. There will always be valid arguments on either side, and I respect both of their opinions.

Tl;Dr - If given the choice between helping chippers or helping external sellers, I choose chippers every time.

I'm in 100%
Agreement with your post. The thing I found issue with was that -however it happened - this lady did get information and was no longer ignorant. And because she got enlightened a lot of name calling and moral judgement occurred - like it was ethically wrong for her to find out. Maybe her son cane home to help her sell stuff and said "what the heck mom? Those were dads prized possessions and they are worth a thousand dollars" and it had nothing to do with us.

As for Flipping chips, it's generally regarded as a bad thing here - picture Jim at the Chip Room selling these instead of an ignorant lady, and then someone selling them for four times the buying price and then think about how your attitude changes - and I see a lot of negative posting about this behavior.

You ever watch American Pickers? That guy will sometimes ask for a price, and when it's too low he will tell the seller because he is going to flip it and make money, so he ups his buying price to a more reasonable one that still leaves him room to resell and make money.

As to costing a chipper extra money and "hurting" their bank account by someone paying a seller a higher price - they certainly don't care about my bank account when the flip them to me at a jacked up price.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom