Cash game: Stuck with your seat or not? (2 Viewers)

Me: “May I move to the open seat?”
Host: “No. You have to stay there. Deal with it. My house, my rules.”
Me: “Cash me out.”
This would be most players including me. Always another game to go to, not putting up with stupid rules.

It was randomized, and if you’re unhappy with randomization then you’re not allowed at the game. Random is fair, whereas choosing your seat gives you an advantage.
Preassigning seats is nonsense which is the question posed. All I hear from your response is "wah wah wah life isn't fair." I would gladly let you take my left and send you into tilt mode. Here fishy fishy

It's simple, tournament seats are drawn and you stay in that seat until tables break and you redraw, deal with it.

Cash games, sit in any open seat when you arrive or switch with someone if they agree, you can also buy someone off their seat. Switch tables or cash out and leave are also options.

I’ve considered drawing for cash game seats but people usually come staggering in minutes apart and sit down.

I’ve occasionally had a high school/ college friend of mine over for my lower limit 50/1 crew (he is usually an $1/2 and $2/5 player) and he always sits to my left. Problem is he is an extremely strong player. He basically got us all into poker in school and even taught us holdem a few years before the Moneymaker boom. He usually crushes the game. He makes it seem like that the best TV viewing spot but I think he is doing it on purpose.

If I did random seats I’m sure I’d catch flack but I’m going to at least tell him he needs to sit across from me from now on :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve considered drawing for cash game seats but people usually come staggering in minutes apart and sit down.

I’ve occasionally had a high school/ college friend of mine over for my lower limit 50/1 crew (he is usually an $1/2 and $2/5 player) and he always sits to my left. Problem is he is an extremely strong player. He basically got us all into poker in school and even taught us holdem a few years before the Moneymaker boom. He usually crushes the game. He makes it seem like that the best TV viewing spot but I think he is doing it on purpose.

If I did random seats I’m sure I’d catch flack but I’m going to at least tell him he needs to sit across from me from now on :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Maybe he just likes talking to you, that's a reason I sit next to some people. The other reason is for side bets, much easier to shift chips left/right than tossing across the table. If he really is that much more skilled vs everyone else it won't matter where he sits, he can squeeze and iso from any position.

I specifically hate seat 1 though. The dealer blocks the action and I never know when it's my turn.

Maybe he just likes talking to you, that's a reason I sit next to some people. The other reason is for side bets, much easier to shift chips left/right than tossing across the table. If he really is that much more skilled vs everyone else it won't matter where he sits, he can squeeze and iso from any position.

I specifically hate seat 1 though. The dealer blocks the action and I never know when it's my turn.
He isn’t just a poker friend …he is a pretty close friend and college roommate. His seat technically is the best for seeing the TVs but I have three in my poker/bar/home theater area. But I think he does consider the fact I’m the most aggressive player after him. Having known him for 35 years….he usually has a reason for anything he does when it comes to gambling

He isn’t just a poker friend …he is a pretty close friend and college roommate. His seat technically is the best for seeing the TVs but I have three in my poker/bar/home theater area. But I think he does consider the fact I’m the most aggressive player after him. Having known him for 35 years….he usually has a reason for anything he does when it comes to gambling
Tell him you think the tvs are distracting you so you want to sit where it’s harder to see them. That should put you across the table from him!

Rather be a tiny bitch than a huge bitch.
1692685068469.png

The sweatlord in my says "fuck no. take his money"... The host in me says let him do whatever and have fun... It's just a home game and having happy players is probably the most important part. I'd also be happy he even asked if it was okay. Shows that the player respects your rules, so letting him switch seats is probably for the best as long as it doesn't upset other players.

Just to carry on with this, I’m currently in the enviable situation of being able to run a 2nd cash game table.

Is it best to run it similar to tournament where the tables are balanced as much as possible? IE: if we have 16 players, run with 8 and 8 and it goes 8 and 6, one moves across?

Also if gets down to 10 players, do we combine or just keep playing as 5 and 5?

Just to carry on with this, I’m currently in the enviable situation of being able to run a 2nd cash game table.

Is it best to run it similar to tournament where the tables are balanced as much as possible? IE: if we have 16 players, run with 8 and 8 and it goes 8 and 6, one moves across?

If the tables became unbalanced, I would ask for volunteers to move from the larger table, but I don't think I'd make anyone move. I'd also consider requests from anyone who wanted to move or trade seats at any time during the night. Depending on if all your players are comfortable with the same stakes, I'd also consider playing different stakes at each table. I could foresee a time in my future where I might have 25c/50c at one table and $1/2 at a second table.

Are you running the same game(s) stakes at both tables? If no then it's not fair to move anyone. If yes, than I think you ask for volunteers, but otherwise you can run with a slight difference if it's not egregious.

If there are 10 at one table and 5 at the other and the stakes and games are the same you probably should move at least one if not two players. If there are no volunteers you have players draw (high card by suit) or deal out from a fresh shuffle (again, high card by suit) and move that or those players.

As soon as the second table starts play for the night you should notify ALL players that it is a must-move game and they can be moved at any time if there is an imbalance that meets your requirements.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom