Cash game: Stuck with your seat or not? (1 Viewer)

My cashgame nights usually draw enough players for 2 tables, usually you sit wherever you like.

One thing that we've done a few times which my players seem to like, and which was actually requested by one of the players, is to redraw seats every 50 minutes. It's actually really nice! Since your table changes both seats and players, the dynamic really changes! Like, once I was table captain for 50 minutes pushing everyone around, then I needed to nit up for the next 50 minutes against the perfect storm of loose agro maniacs.

I'd only recommend it if you're two tables, though.

As far as the Q in the OP: Your house, your rules, so you decide. But IF you choose to draw, then nobody should be changing seats. I mean, if he's allowed, then I'm allowed, so everyone is allowed, so why draw in the first place?

I remember being knocked out after someone didn't like their seat, switched tables, then sat to my right, we ended up heads up and i got felted. I should have the advantage. But I think the change tilted me because we drew cards for seats and they just decided they weren't having fun. No one sided with me when I brought it up. I was pretty upset that for a tourney, they just got away with changing their seat. Cash game is different. I'll leave it up to the group, but I'm sure they would allow the change, only after they were felted.

I remember being knocked out after someone didn't like their seat, switched tables, then sat to my right, we ended up heads up and i got felted. I should have the advantage. But I think the change tilted me because we drew cards for seats and they just decided they weren't having fun. No one sided with me when I brought it up. I was pretty upset that for a tourney, they just got away with changing their seat. Cash game is different. I'll leave it up to the group, but I'm sure they would allow the change, only after they were felted.
Changing seat in a tourney is not up for debate imo, that’s just plain wrong.

If you guys like it, that’s great. But every 50 minutes seems like a lot.
It's enough to get to know the table a bit and short enough to allow for several permutations in a single night.

But you can tweak as you see fit, e.g. every two hours etc. The general idea is to mix things up at regular intervals.

We don't do it every time, though. And never ever on post tourney cash games.

My cashgame nights usually draw enough players for 2 tables, usually you sit wherever you like.

One thing that we've done a few times which my players seem to like, and which was actually requested by one of the players, is to redraw seats every 50 minutes. It's actually really nice! Since your table changes both seats and players, the dynamic really changes! Like, once I was table captain for 50 minutes pushing everyone around, then I needed to nit up for the next 50 minutes against the perfect storm of loose agro maniacs.

I'd only recommend it if you're two tables, though.

As far as the Q in the OP: Your house, your rules, so you decide. But IF you choose to draw, then nobody should be changing seats. I mean, if he's allowed, then I'm allowed, so everyone is allowed, so why draw in the first place?
Haven’t tried it but I don’t think I would be a fan. I think table dynamic is a very important and fun factor and something that needs more time than that to develope over the course of the game. I’m all for drawing seats but only once per game.

Having thought some more, I think the answer to the OP is pretty clear: If you have drawn, then you can't change seats for the night (or until re-drawn, or until the host says "alright everybody, free seating!"). Allowing someone to move would completely undermine the draw, making it pointless. I would be curious to hear any counter-arguments to this.

Whether or not you draw seats or allow free seating is of course a completely separate question.

Last edited:
Haven’t tried it but I don’t think I would be a fan. I think table dynamic is a very important and fun factor and something that needs more time than that to develope over the course of the game. I’m all for drawing seats but only once per game.
I have done it before and it sucks. Everyone has to rack up and figure out where their new seat is. Then people take smoke breaks etc. You lose 10 minutes each time maybe more. So what I do now is offer people the option to switch tables. I Also don't like getting up from the table dynamic that's already been created. I have also done it where instead of a full redraw we just draw for 2-3 players to swap which is much better option imo.

I have done it before and it sucks. Everyone has to rack up and figure out where their new seat is. Then people take smoke breaks etc. You lose 10 minutes each time maybe more. So what I do now is offer people the option to switch tables. I Also don't like getting up from the table dynamic that's already been created. I have also done it where instead of a full redraw we just draw for 2-3 players to swap which is much better option imo.
This. Changing seats/tables every 50 minutes would be maddening. And the fact that he said every 50 min rather than every hour implies a 10 minute break. It's a cash game. You need a break for the restroom or a smoke? Then get up and take one and miss a couple of hands. You don't force everyone to take a break unless it's a super casual game and poker is not the main priority of the gathering. But regular 10 minute breaks, even if you don't change seats, is completely unnecessary in a cash game. I could see MAYBE making one seat change per night, if there was a very good reason for it. Definitely no more than that.

When’s that next deal coming out?! Some of us are stuck!

I can’t see slowing the game down for multiple redraws, I might go along for 2 seat changes in this manner but if I’m not happy with the seat or just put off. I’m going to to find a real game where the action is like @Goldfish ‘s and only the kids are playing musical chairs.

My brilliant on-topic, straight-to-the-point respons to the op didn't get much attention :LOL: :laugh: but the off-topic redraw one did!

Sure, redrawing is not for everyone, and we don't always do it, maybe a third of all pure cashgame nights and never on post tourney cashgames.

But it seams some of you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's the general idea that's important, not exactly how I do it (or, how some have erroneously assumed that I do it).

Having two or more tables and not mixing it up means you only get to play with half the players. So yes, there's a social aspect to it.

Not that it matters that much, but I would just like to clarify a few things:

Everyone has to rack up and figure out where their new seat is. Then people take smoke breaks etc. You lose 10 minutes each time maybe more
Not everyone, just a few! Because after we tried a complete re-draw for everyone we quickly went over to:
I have also done it where instead of a full redraw we just draw for 2-3 players to swap which is much better option imo.

I Also don't like getting up from the table dynamic that's already been created.
..in which case redrawing seats would be madness. The whole point, apart from the social aspect, is to create a new dynamic. But if you don't like sweet coffee, you should definitely not put sugar in it.

Changing seats/tables every 50 minutes would be maddening.
Baby/bathwater again:
you can tweak as you see fit, e.g. every two hours etc.

the fact that he said every 50 min rather than every hour implies a 10 minute break
It takes a lot less than 10 minues to move a few people.

You don't force everyone to take a break
Most who don't move just stay in there seats while the few people move. Like when someone is tanking.

I can’t see slowing the game down for multiple redraws,
Doesn't slow down that much.

My brilliant on-topic, straight-to-the-point respons to the op didn't get much attention :LOL: :laugh: but the off-topic redraw one did!

Sure, redrawing is not for everyone, and we don't always do it, maybe a third of all pure cashgame nights and never on post tourney cashgames.

But it seams some of you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's the general idea that's important, not exactly how I do it (or, how some have erroneously assumed that I do it).

Having two or more tables and not mixing it up means you only get to play with half the players. So yes, there's a social aspect to it.

Not that it matters that much, but I would just like to clarify a few things:

Not everyone, just a few! Because after we tried a complete re-draw for everyone we quickly went over to:

..in which case redrawing seats would be madness. The whole point, apart from the social aspect, is to create a new dynamic. But if you don't like sweet coffee, you should definitely not put sugar in it.

Baby/bathwater again:

It takes a lot less than 10 minues to move a few people.

Most who don't move just stay in there seats while the few people move. Like when someone is tanking.

Doesn't slow down that much.
I will say this - doing a seat change or two at a multi table home game makes sense for the social aspects.
On the other hand, if you ended up sending all the big stacks to the other table, that would stink.

Me: “May I move to the open seat?”
Host: “No. You have to stay there. Deal with it. My house, my rules.”
Me: “Cash me out.”
It was randomized, and if you’re unhappy with randomization then you’re not allowed at the game. Random is fair, whereas choosing your seat gives you an advantage.

Random question,

I've been running a home cash game now for about 6 months and one of my regulars does not like to sit to the right of me….ha.

So the other night i got him for a decent amount and he was asking if he could change seats after his next re-buy. i told him heck no.

Now, let me preface that I always randomize the seating prior to us taking our seats.

But…am I wrong? My thoughts are, one its my house my rules…..assigned seating was random and thats your seat for the night.

But do you guys allow for changing of seats in your home games?
Random is fair, whereas choosing your seat can give you an advantage. You don’t like your seat tonight? Well I didn’t like mine last time and Bob doesn’t like his, but Dave loves his.” If it’s random, it’s fair.

we used to have a “first come first sit” kinda game, then later had players draw for seats (especially when there’s two tables worth of players and almost everyone shows up on time)….we discourage switching seats for the most part unless there’s some open seats and someone is absolutely buried. Then they can feel free to switch to one of the open seats. We never really established this rule in writing or anything, it’s just kinda understood.

I prefer random seating, and that's your seat. But, if I know the game is going to last for a long time, it's fun to redraw seats every few hours. That way folks can move around, no one gets stuck in a seat they don't like for the whole game, and you get to sit next to/talk to lots of different people.

I’m a fan of changing seats at meetups. I’d actually support something along the lines of redrawing seats every 4-5 hours at meetups. Get to play and talk with more players. That’s a special occasion though.

One of the games I play at, if there’s enough players to go to 2 tables, has a rule to help mix things up: At regular intervals, say every half hour, a timer goes off. The 2 players who win the current hand at their respective tables have to switch. So no mass shuffling of players all at once, but it does mix the tables up a bit over time.

Most of my guys don't understand positional play. They bet their 2 cards.

They can move whenever they want, as long as they don't avoid the blinds.
Well it's pretty easy to enforce the rules around this. If a player moves away from the BB, they must either
1) Post the BB immediately from their new seat
2) Sit out one hand for each active player they pass and then be dealt in for "free."

A player may always move closer to the big blind with no penalty.

Cash game, I don’t care where anyone sits. Except @Josh Kifer, because he takes that literally.

Tournament, I can be a little bitch about merging tables and players picking seats instead of being seated randomly (because almost invariably players try to get to my left). I actually care when it comes to tournaments, otherwise, meh whatever.

I had players in my old game with vision issues that needed to sit mid-table so we worked around that in the past. It’s not that big a deal in cash games.

IMG_7767.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom