Cash and tourney sets, preferred mold for hot-stamped and inlay (1 Viewer)

Heather

High Hand
Reaction score
In my fantasy world, I can afford to buy a master set that has both a cash set and a tourney set with one theme.

If you were going to build this set around one mold, which CPC mold do you think would work best for such a set--which would look amazing hot stamped and with an inlay?

Also, do you prefer cash set values as inlays or hot-stamped, and likewise, do you prefer tourney denominations as hot-stamped or inlayed?

Honestly, only you can answer these questions. You need to get some samples and decide what you like best. Preferences are incredibly subjective.
This.

Also, some molds can’t be hot stamped. I know that’s true for at least the scrown. Some molds are pretty generic, such as the CSQ or the DSQ. And others might work best with a certain theme, such as a western one on the horse head mold for instance. Or the name starting with a certain letter (A-mold, B-mold, H-mold).

But really, it’s all very subjective.

In my fantasy world, I can afford to buy a master set that has both a cash set and a tourney set with one theme.

If you were going to build this set around one mold, which CPC mold do you think would work best for such a set--which would look amazing hot stamped and with an inlay?
I personally think theme comes into play for CPC customs in deciding what mold to use. For example, CSQ is my personal favorite mold but I used DSQ for my set as it was a better fit theme-wise.

Also, I would recommend inlay over hot-stamp unless you use @Josh Kifer for stamps. Some molds likely stamp better than others too, so keep that in mind.

Also, do you prefer cash set values as inlays or hot-stamped, and likewise, do you prefer tourney denominations as hot-stamped or inlayed?
Up to you. No right answer here besides what you like best.

Some molds likely stamp better than others too, so keep that in mind
Circle Square, A Mold, and Horse head stamp the best. But I'll say a well designed stamp is the biggest hurdle. You want to stay away from super thin lines and small text, and super thick lines/coverage. Remember that clay has to be displaced in this. It needs room to go.

A meaningful theme/inlay is the only thing holding me back from pursuing a CPC set.
I prefer inlay over hotstamp but don't dislike hotstamp.
Regarding mold it would depend on a few things for me. If your theme started with a A, B, H I would say it's cool to go with that mold bc it's as if the mold is customize to your set. If its an old school vibe then I like Scrown mold. If its neither then if I were you just get a shuffle stack of the molds you like and pick the one you like and feels best.

Whatever anybody says take your time and as you look through thousands of chips, inlays, hotstamps on here hopefully you will find your way. You do you!
Good Luck!

Thanks, everyone. I have time to think about it. Probably by the time I could afford either, I would change my mind. But I appreciate everyone's insight because you brought up things I hadn't considered.

Sometimes the theme helps dictate the mold. A-mold or B-mold may work for people/rooms/themes that happen to start with A/B. Western theme might go with Horse Head. Circus theme might go with Elephant and Crown. French theme might go with Fleur de Lys. Et cetera.

But, as others have said, each mold also has a different feel and sound, so you should really evaluate each on for yourself to see which one(s) you like best.

P.S. My favourite mold is Large Crown, based on looks alone.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom