Cali vs Texas vs Delaware (1 Viewer)

Arizona is great. People are generally pretty nice, though they keep to themselves a little more than other places I’ve been (unless you’re visiting a touristy area like Scottsdale and then everyone is insanely friendly). South of Scottsdale is some fairly good school systems. Health care isn’t the greatest but it’s available - you just need to own following up and owning your own care.

Weather is amazing. Yeah it’s hot in July and August - so you spend most afternoons with drinks in your pool. June is 105 but you can still eat outside under an umbrella and with a mister it’s actually super comfortable.

Golf 10 months a year. Hiking 9 months a year. Multiple poker rooms spreading all kinds of games. 4 pro sports teams. Growing number of PCFers that are getting together for home games. Cost of living is reasonable (my $9600 MA property tax went down to $2900 here). Ton of cultural things to do. Insanely good food options in the greater Phoenix area (don’t get me started about Asian/Mexican fusion, it’s fucking mouthwateringly amazing).

And margaritas for days. And nights. Fuck it, and mornings too.
Lol it's not an open decision. Going to Philadelphia area.

Wife and kids just got back from Arizona this morning, had a blast. Downside of Arizona (if we even had a choice), the places we would actually live have no easy access to airports with regular flights.

I’m in the East Valley and it’s 22 minutes to the airport (28 minutes during rush hour).

Philly is dope too. Only three things to remember:

1) Cheesesteaks. Weekly.
2) Everyone from Philly wants you to know you’re from Philly and wants to fight you if you’re not from Philly. So just say you’re from Philly.
3) Find a winter home, lol.

The only, only positive that I know of so far. This is the backyard we could purchase in CA:
80148642a63ed935e1985e932715d4c5l-m4215279420od-w1024_h768_x2.jpg

This is the kind on east coast:
1676938690708.png

I'm sure there's other positives, I've just literally never been.

The only, only positive that I know of so far. This is the backyard we could purchase in CA:
80148642a63ed935e1985e932715d4c5l-m4215279420od-w1024_h768_x2.jpg

This is the kind on east coast:
View attachment 1084658

I'm sure there's other positives, I've just literally never been.
Yes. However, an outdoor pool is a massive PITA and more than it's worth in this neck of the woods. You'll only be able to use it 3.5 months of the year.

How close to Philadelphia do you need to be? Commuting?
Not on a regular basis. So even like an hour+ isn’t an issue, much much more focused on finding the right town/suburbs.

So Penn, NJ, Delaware all on the board.

Biggest focus will just be everyday living - good food, safe area, good schools. Not quite sure where to start other than flying out and driving through everywhere. Not sure if a buyers agent will cover that much space and across states.

Not on a regular basis. So even like an hour+ isn’t an issue, much much more focused on finding the right town/suburbs.

Biggest focus will just be everyday living - good food, safe area, good schools. Not quite sure where to start other than flying out and driving through everywhere. Not sure if a buyers agent will cover that much space and across states.
I'd avoid New Jersey. Any area, even around the Philly suburbs with good schools and good nightlife, restaurants, etc will have property taxes through the roof expensive. Not California bad but you'll likely not be able to get much more value than what you're getting now in California. You'll get the best value somewhere in PA. Delaware has no state income tax but I'm not so sure about the restaurants and schools there.

I'd avoid New Jersey. Any area, even around the Philly suburbs with good schools and good nightlife, restaurants, etc will have property taxes through the roof expensive. Not California bad but you'll likely not be able to get much more value than what you're getting now in California. You'll get the best value somewhere in PA. Delaware has no state income tax but I'm not so sure about the restaurants and schools there.
Yeah we need to talk to a professional regarding taxes. Wife will be overseas and the company is EU only, so doesn’t have folks that take care of setting up taxes and such for US folks.

So not sure yet what income tax and such will look like for us or what the implications are.

I love West Chester, but there are so many nice places to live in the Brandywine Valley. We have great schools and are a college town with a lively downtown. I wouldn't look any further south than Kennett Square or west of Downingtown. Avoid Delaware County. The Route 52 corridor between Wilmington and Kennett has some beautiful places to live.

Well, on the positive side, there are a number of PCFers in the area that are likely to descend upon any meets up you host. ;)
Continental 2024!
We have great schools and are a college town with a lively downtown.
Sounds lovely! I’m going to fly out and try to get a feel for the various areas before trying to narrow down and grab a buyers agent. I’m a lot more nervous than my wife on this move, East Coast just sounds different.

Texas was a bit hard because we chose a spot in a developing area instead of mature, CA is a little hard as we had to buy sight unseen and ended up in farmlands.

Really going to attempt for more of an educated on the area purchase this go round.

I love West Chester, but there are so many nice places to live in the Brandywine Valley. We have great schools and are a college town with a lively downtown. I wouldn't look any further south than Kennett Square or west of Downingtown. Avoid Delaware County. The Route 52 corridor between Wilmington and Kennett has some beautiful places to live.
Yep I was going to recommend chadd’s ford

Delaware has no state income tax but I'm not so sure about the restaurants and schools there.
Granted, I graduated from high school in DE in 96, but the state had the highest per capita number of private school students in the country. If you can afford to pay for school, there are excellent schools in DE. If you are going public, it is a total crapshoot. Some are good, some are terrible. Southern DE everyone goes public, but thats a different world down there.

Continental 2024!

Sounds lovely! I’m going to fly out and try to get a feel for the various areas before trying to narrow down and grab a buyers agent. I’m a lot more nervous than my wife on this move, East Coast just sounds different.

Texas was a bit hard because we chose a spot in a developing area instead of mature, CA is a little hard as we had to buy sight unseen and ended up in farmlands.

Really going to attempt for more of an educated on the area purchase this go round.
I'd be happy to show you around...

interesting, I'll be moving to DC at the end of August, so looks like I can still make Continental 2024! Albeit will be a 3-4 hour drive instead of 1 now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom