Cali vs Texas vs Delaware (1 Viewer)

Don't let the naysayers fool you. There's a reason Santa Clara County is so expensive. Prices are always driven by supply and demand, and there aren't many places on earth with more demand than the bay area. It's a nature lover's paradise here. We have perfect weather (not too hot, never cold, always sunny), great schools, less than an hour drive to the beaches, 30 min to hiking in the redwoods (the tallest trees on earth), less than an hour to SF, half a day's drive to Yosemite National Park, half a day's drive to Lake Tahoe, countless career opportunities that pay far more than you'd probably get anywhere else (often more than makes up for the cost of living), lots of legal poker rooms plus a large home game circuit, incredible restaurants from every culture imaginable, a good public transit train network, and politicians that don't suck (Ted Cruz is not your senator and your neighbors would never vote for him). It's also a great travel hub. We have 3 major international airports here. It's super easy to get around too.

The cost of living aspect is way overrated. If I were to move outside of Silicon Valley, I'd be taking a considerable pay cut anywhere else. Moreso than the cost of living differential for sure. The compensation works itself out here. And if you're buying a home, you're building equity with that money anyhow. Even if you're paying an extra $1000 or $2000 per month to live here, you'll most likely more than make up for that difference in your bottom line.

Don't let the naysayers fool you. There's a reason Santa Clara County is so expensive. Prices are always driven by supply and demand, and there aren't many places on earth with more demand than the bay area. It's a nature lover's paradise here. We have perfect weather (not too hot, never cold, always sunny), great schools, less than an hour drive to the beaches, 30 min to hiking in the redwoods (the tallest trees on earth), less than an hour to SF, half a day's drive to Yosemite National Park, half a day's drive to Lake Tahoe, countless career opportunities that pay far more than you'd probably get anywhere else (often more than makes up for the cost of living), lots of legal poker rooms plus a large home game circuit, incredible restaurants from every culture imaginable, a good public transit train network, and politicians that don't suck (Ted Cruz is not your senator and your neighbors would never vote for him). It's also a great travel hub. We have 3 major international airports here. It's super easy to get around too.

The cost of living aspect is way overrated. If I were to move outside of Silicon Valley, I'd be taking a considerable pay cut anywhere else. Moreso than the cost of living differential for sure. The compensation works itself out here. And if you're buying a home, you're building equity with that money anyhow. Even if you're paying an extra $1000 or $2000 per month to live here, you'll most likely more than make up for that difference in your bottom line.
oh I like California...but it’s crazy expensive. Houses are like 3-5x the price (go on Zillow and be astounded at Texas). And there’s a 10% income tax. If the wife is getting a comparable salary it’s a no-brainer

I don't know if it's like this across Texas in general or if it was specific to Dallas, but the property taxes there were insane. When I moved to Denver, my monthly payment for a comparable house was about the same even though the purchase price was considerably higher. Paying $1500 vs. $6000 a year in property taxes made a huge difference to the escrow payment.

Texas has no state income tax, but they have to get their budget money SOMEWHERE. Property taxes ftw. Indiana my property and state taxes aren’t so bad, but we have one of the highest sales taxes in the nation.

If you have a plan to make enough money to live in Palo Alto (probably involving big tech), then Santa Clara; look elsewhere otherwise.

Damn... Delaware was the only close option... I have nothing to offer other than in Texas and California you will not get the option to jump into @Lil Tuna Acura for an awesome PFC road trip and enjoy amazing sound tracks that at anytime may include Barry Manilow, Drowning pool and the Spice Girls... in no particular order! Also @MegaTon44 has the only poker tables I know with brass poles in the middle... not sure what goes on there, but don't you want to move to Delaware and find out?? Lmao ok I made all of that shit up but plus one for east coast because... well you're awesome Jeff, I'm selfish and would love to have an awesome chipping brother within driving distance! Remember you always have a room with Ben and Brie no matter where you wind up... and I can probably mix in some spice girls if we make an east coast swing of PCF meet ups! Get home so Brie and I can stop drooling on your chips!!

Forever your chippin brother Ben

No dog in this hunt, but my take is:
  • Delaware -- too cold
  • Bay Area -- too expensive
  • Austin -- too hot, but wins by default over the other two
However, if I lived in the northeast, it would probably be in Delaware (over any of the other neighboring less-appealing states). I turned down job offers in Hartford and Boston for cold weather and high cost-of-living reasons at the time.*

And if I lived in California, it would definitely be in the Bay area -- love that place (and would move there in an instant if I won the lottery). I turned down job offers in Santa Clara and San Jose (plus LA, ugh) due to the high cost of living and housing at the time.*

Parts of Texas have always been some of my favorite (San Antonio) and least-favorite (panhandle) parts of the country. I could easily live in the greater Austin area.

* While employed in the aerospace industry, I ended up moving from Detroit to Atlanta in 1987, and have never regretted the decision.

I’d have to agree pretty much with the general consensus of most here. I have been to all of the areas on your list.
California is probably the prettiest area but definitely the most expensive.
Delaware has some great areas along the coastline. Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach and Finwick Island are all really nice but I’m sure pricey as well.
Your bigger towns in Delaware are going to be along the Interstate 95 corridor. Not very attractive places to live but conveniently located to many other areas. Philly and Baltimore less than an hour drive, New York and Washington under 2 hours, that’s if traffic doesn’t hold you up. Best argument for Delaware is your less than 2 hours from the Borgata in Atlantic City. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Also your close to many great PCF members in the Mid Atlantic region.
I’ve only been to Austin Texas once but it would probably be my choice of the three you listed. I had family in the Waco area a couple hours north of Austin, seemed like a nice place to be when I have visited.
Would love to see you end up in Delaware if only for the option of it being within a few hours drive of splashing some pots with you.
Best wishes to you and your family wherever you end up. Look forward to margaritas, chips and cards next time I see you. :)
Stay safe my friend,
Matt

Last edited:
Stay clear of Delaware.
It’s super cheap and you’ll have some extra money pouring in.. But you’ll just be thinking, ‘We gotta use this extra money to get outta here.’

E9D5180C-9418-4457-A746-C970A96CC33E.jpeg

Last edited:
I lived in DE from 10 years old to 30. Our oldest was born in Christiana hospital. Grew up i Newark, lived in Wilmington right after college with a bunch of friends, and Pike Creek after getting married. Great place to grow up as a kid, but there is a reason that DE has the highest number of private school students per capita. depending on where you are, the public schools can be just ok, to not ok. Wilmington was a lot of fun in my young 20's, spent many a night at the Logan House. A real bonus is that you have NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC all within a 4 hour drive. Some of the beach towns are a lot of fun. Dewey is one of my favorite places in the world.

I have always loved going to CA and the Bay area is awesome, but I don't think I could live there. I always noticed that when I went to LA and SF, nobody i met was actually from LA or SF. It felt very fake to me. Not sure I could live there.

Never been to Austin, but my wife has gone for work several times and loves it. I have spent some time in Dallas, strip malls as far as the eye can see!

Good luck man!

Santa Clara, CA (bay areaish)
Austin, TX
Wilmington (by Philly), Delaware
Let me know your thoughts, whether you’re from one the areas or which you would choose!
Take a serious look at Logan or Mullica Hill, New Jersey as a potential alternative to Wilmington.
That area is close to the major highways, Philadelphia, Wilmington, and the communities over there are really nice.
I think it's a good place for families with young children who still need to work in the city.
With the exception of the Cherry Hill area, there are some really sad townships about 20 minutes in each direction surrounding Logan; but Logan is really quite nice.

The problem with the Cherry Hill area is that its overpopulated.
You won't really feel comfortable letting the kids outside to ride their bikes.. too much traffic, too much craziness..
It also means you see a lot of people who were displaced from the city or worse (Camden).
But yes, I imagine if you decide to move to Wilmington, you'll eventually end up moving to Cherry Hill.

--
A lot of the Philadelphia pro-athletes who have kids hideout in Swedesboro too... Always a treat when you run into those guys...

Last edited:
Why Austin? You can live in the outskirts for much less money than being in Austin.

The economy on Texas has historically been very good and I believe much better than the other two cities you are looking at. If you are looking at the future and the future of you money I would say Texas. Case in pint was during the 2008 bust of the economy many of us in Texas never skipped a beat.

If I did not mention it before. Do Not live in Austin Proper. Go a little further out and commute.

David

^^^ THIS... all day long ^^^

Don’t move to Louisiana. Finding a home game is impossible!

Good luck in your search!

Being a parent means thinking of the kids first, and as much as I hate to say it, the elementary schools in Austin TX routinely receive better scores compared to your two other places. Don't get me wrong I know every county has some good schools and some bad schools, but Austin TX seems to grade better overall

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone. This actually was all helpful information. Before reaching out, our initial thoughts were Austin, with the other two being tied at second. I did share with my wife and followed up/checked up on all the information given here, and it pretty much buttressed the positives and negatives for each location that we previously held.

For many reasons, most of them related to coronavirus and it's stupid financial impact, timeline was moved way up. Austin held on, and in less than two months wife and children are on their way. Temporary furnished housing and plane tickets are purchased, now it's just time to find a house, schools, and home games!

7 weeks. Just 7 more weeks. France is like the twilight zone. It’s groundhogs day, but every day presents just slightly different enough problems to not let you notice.

Saturday, someone broke our mailbox. Sunday, the neighborhood cat our kids had taken a liking to was hit by a car and came to our house to die. Monday, well this is Monday:
93744801-6F23-4BD5-B2D9-4B146A6DBB94.jpeg

Anybody know a good electrician/handyman/vet/plumber?:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::dead:

7 weeks. Just 7 more weeks. France is like the twilight zone. It’s groundhogs day, but every day presents just slightly different enough problems to not let you notice.

Saturday, someone broke our mailbox. Sunday, the neighborhood cat our kids had taken a liking to was hit by a car and came to our house to die. Monday, well this is Monday:
View attachment 457292

Anybody know a good electrician/handyman/vet/plumber?:ROFL: :ROFLMAO::dead:

I am reasonably good at 1 out of 4 of those o_O but am a distinct liability at the other 3 :unsure:

If anyone wants to buy a house in the Bay Area, I have one for you in August.

Also if anyone in driving distance to Philly is selling a house in August, I'm your buyer.

Here we fucking go again.
Bay area to Philly? Ouch.

Bay area to Philly? Ouch.
Hurts a little less cause I'm pretty far inland. But my head is spinning a bit right now.

I just can't imagine trying to find a house again in a place I've never been. I've never even been to the eastern seaboard. And with a 6 and 7 year old, there's so many giant important factors.

Man I'm just praying to find a nice quiet social neighborhood with some amazing neighbors and schools. Lol I'll forego everything else, please let me just find that.

If anyone wants to buy a house in the Bay Area, I have one for you in August.

Also if anyone in driving distance to Philly is selling a house in August, I'm your buyer.

Here we fucking go again.
PHL is in September, just saying....

@MegaTon44 @Klobberer @p5woody among others can probably give you a better idea of the area.

Hurts a little less cause I'm pretty far inland. But my head is spinning a bit right now.

I just can't imagine trying to find a house again in a place I've never been. I've never even been to the eastern seaboard. And with a 6 and 7 year old, there's so many giant important factors.

Man I'm just praying to find a nice quiet social neighborhood with some amazing neighbors and schools. Lol I'll forego everything else, please let me just find that.
Arizona is great. People are generally pretty nice, though they keep to themselves a little more than other places I’ve been (unless you’re visiting a touristy area like Scottsdale and then everyone is insanely friendly). South of Scottsdale is some fairly good school systems. Health care isn’t the greatest but it’s available - you just need to own following up and owning your own care.

Weather is amazing. Yeah it’s hot in July and August - so you spend most afternoons with drinks in your pool. June is 105 but you can still eat outside under an umbrella and with a mister it’s actually super comfortable.

Golf 10 months a year. Hiking 9 months a year. Multiple poker rooms spreading all kinds of games. 4 pro sports teams. Growing number of PCFers that are getting together for home games. Cost of living is reasonable (my $9600 MA property tax went down to $2900 here). Ton of cultural things to do. Insanely good food options in the greater Phoenix area (don’t get me started about Asian/Mexican fusion, it’s fucking mouthwateringly amazing).

And margaritas for days. And nights. Fuck it, and mornings too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom