Building a poker table (1 Viewer)

So the headliner foam is worse for denting vs the Volara? And Tony says he doesnt use Volara because of the way it dents. And neoprene is not an option because of sizing issues.

So what should I get?

Here is the headliner stuff from Jo-Anns:
http://www.joann.com/foam-backed-headliner-fabric-grey/3496064.html

That's the right headliner. It seems to bounce back pretty quick, but I don't store stuff on the table either. You can bottom out against the wood if you toss a button or chip. That bothers some people, but I think I'm ok with that vs. the rubbery feel I've heard people use when talking about volara. I've never had a sample myself though. Give Tony's advice way more credit than anything I say though.

My shipping for just folding legs would probably be worse.

Seems like YAT is the best option for the rail foam but the cost is high if I want to do a budget build:
http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/rail-foam-1-or-2-table-build-finished.83078/

Look at this sexy thing:

4a58294ed9ee4cb24162190a52ba62b1.jpg

Seems like YAT is the best option for the rail foam but the cost is high if I want to do a budget build:
http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/rail-foam-1-or-2-table-build-finished.83078/

Look at this sexy thing:

In the thread you just quoted, 90% of the posters recommended YAT's 65lb foam. Why is it still a question which to buy? Sometimes getting the right thing for the job costs a little more. If you are like me, a budget build just means I have to redo it later with the right materials. At a higher overall cost, not even considering personal labor.

I really like Joanna fabrics. They often have 50% off coupons (with a standing 40% off coupon you can DL online). Brings the price down considerably. no shipping.

They also have the headliner foam, but I dislike this stuff. I've used Volara for all my tables, and never had a problem. I have used the headliner foam on one drink cart table a long time ago, and it was too soft/squishy.

YAT is confirmed awesome for foam (both rail and play surface). Tony is right about glue, just the spray adhesive. You lay out the play surface foam (flat) on the table. You peel one side back, then spray adhesive on the table, then work the foam back onto the play surface, repeat for the other side.

About routers and cutting the wood. I think the cuts are the most important aspect. If the cuts are wrong, everything else is wrong. If the cuts are right on, then everything else is much easier. A router gives near perfect cuts (assuming you measured correctly). It also creates a perfect sized gap between the rail lip and the play surface. I might try to get your buddy to help with the cuts. Should be pretty simple for a carpenter. Better yet, ask him to come over to help for an hour, pay him in Pizza and Beer. Win!

As for staplers. Go pneumatic/powered or go home... A mechanical stapler will KILL you, and take forever. A decent table involves literally 1000's of staples.

I bought the 1/4" thick foam padding for the playing surface (on YAT site in the poker tables section) and really love it. It's a little firmer than headliner but not quite as hard/firm as volara. I had volara on a table but changed it out with the other foam (it seemed harder to pick up cards with the volara).
Re: table legs: I used an old banquet table with the folding legs....works great. Built my poker table top and attached it to the banquet table.

How do you get the raised rail like in the pic? Add another 3/4 layer of birch?

How do you get the raised rail like in the pic? Add another 3/4 layer of birch?

I'm going out on a limb. That lighted raised rail table build might be biting off too much too soon.

You can't go wrong with YAT, but if you are looking for options, the last two tables I built I used Foambymail.com. I was very happy with price, shipping, and the quality of the goods. For a round I built, I bought a 60" by 80" sheet of 1" thick foam for $33 plus shipping. About $45 delivered. That was several years ago though, prices may have changed.

For a raised rail, you either use spacers you can cut from another sheet or scrap, or another full sheet if weight isn't an issue.

You can't go wrong with YAT, but if you are looking for options, the last two tables I built I used Foambymail.com. I was very happy with price, shipping, and the quality of the goods. For a round I built, I bought a 60" by 80" sheet of 1" thick foam for $33 plus shipping. About $45 delivered. That was several years ago though, prices may have changed.

For a raised rail, you either use spacers you can cut from another sheet or scrap, or another full sheet if weight isn't an issue.

Yeah I don't want to do it. I was just curious how you get that extra layer.

My first table I ordered from the same place to get one piece of foam big enough for my 56" round. Very happy with them.

Building poker tables is relatively easy with the correct tools. Building really nice poker tables requires attention to detail. I recommend buying versus building if you lack either.

Otherwise, it's a great feeling to play on something you actually created with your own hands, and that feeling lasts for a very long time. Plus it's cheaper. :)

There is definitely pride and satisfaction in building a nice table and playing on it. Especially when the other players enjoy it and remark about how nice the setup is.

There's pride in building any piece of furniture really.

Can I ask why you're buying "nice" plywood? Unless you're planning a racetrack, The wood will be covered.

I use headliner foam, because I like the soft feel of it. I used Volara for my first couple builds, but headliner foam since. I prefer it, but I know other don't, for their reasons.

Also, I'd try to find plans for the table style you're building. I'd suggest full felt no-cupholders.

Can I ask why you're buying "nice" plywood? Unless you're planning a racetrack, The wood will be covered.

I use headliner foam, because I like the soft feel of it. I used Volara for my first couple builds, but headliner foam since. I prefer it, but I know other don't, for their reasons.

Also, I'd try to find plans for the table style you're building. I'd suggest full felt no-cupholders.

What wood do you recommend?

What size and shape table are you building?

Oh brother... now you've done it... lol

mummel has posted a few threads on the topic of size/shape, lol. I personally am not sure where it was left, or what was decided, lol

:)

Sorry should have clarified. 8 person or 10 person oval is where I landed, mostly because of cost. No working plans yet. Just wanted to price out the components for my own curiosity / decision making. Right now I'm at $377 without tools or labor, kinda meh if you think I could get a Chanman table for $620. But shipping to Mass crushes Tony's tables (like 40% of the cost). Real bummer because he makes amazing tables. I asked him about a "group ship" idea (i.e load 10 tables in container etc). Hopefully he can figure something out.

So this RTD sheathing would save another $50 on the build, which is great, but I havent seen it mentioned anywhere. More likely to warp? Less durable? Cant take as much weight?

Sorry should have clarified. 8 person or 10 person oval is where I landed, mostly because of cost. No working plans yet. Just wanted to price out the components for my own curiosity / decision making. Right now I'm at $377 without tools or labor, kinda meh if you think I could get a Chanman table for $620. But shipping to Mass crushes Tony's tables (like 40% of the cost). Real bummer because he makes amazing tables. I asked him about a "group ship" idea (i.e load 10 tables in container etc). Hopefully he can figure something out.

So this RTD sheathing would have another $50 on the build, which is great, but I havent seen it mentioned anywhere. More likely to warp? Less durable? Cant take as much weight?
I MIGHT be interested if we can get a combined shipping discount. I'd have to sell some more chippies though so I would need to really think about that.

So this RTD sheathing would save another $50 on the build, which is great, but I havent seen it mentioned anywhere. More likely to warp? Less durable? Cant take as much weight?

Durability is fine. The surface finish won't be as smooth, and you might be more likely for it to start out warped. Just pick out a nice smooth flat piece that doesn't have any of those oval patches on the good side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom