Building a poker table (2 Viewers)

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
I probably have another month to kill before my chips are in stock and I've managed to sell the crap in my to-be poker room. I didnt consider building a poker table because I'm not handy and dont have any tools etc. But as Craigslist is looking like a bust, it's at least something I want to consider (particular if I can get a group buy going with a couple of buddies).

I'd like to start a shopping list to get some idea of what a build would cost. I dont know where to start but this is sort of my thinking.

Tools:
-saw horses = ?
-jigsaw = ?
-sander = ?
-staple gun = ?
-staples = ?
-screws/nuts/bolts/washers = ?
-glue = ?
-wood stain = ?

Materials:
-2 X 23/32 in. 4 ft. x 8 ft. RTD Sheathing Syp = $54 (link)
-vinyl for rail = Whisper Vinyl Black, 3 yards = $38 at Jo-Ann (link)
-foam for table = Foam Backed Headliner Fabric Grey = $23 at Jo-Ann (link)
-foam for the rail = 1" X 54" X 108" PREMIUM 65lb. HD Rail Foam (2.0/65lb) = $79 at YAT (link)
-redesigned SSC 9 yards = $81 at TPS (link)
-folding metal legs = Ebco Folding Table Legs APF-B - One Pair APF-B = $48 at Rural King (link)
TOTAL materials = $323

I would appreciate any help on what components (and brands) I need to add and then I can do the pricing once I know what to look for. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
router >>>> jigsaw imo if you are going with an oval

i got all of the playing surface padding, rail foam, and rail covering from yat and custom gaming suede from @T_Chan

router >>>> jigsaw imo if you are going with an oval

i got all of the playing surface padding, rail foam, and rail covering from yat and custom gaming suede from @T_Chan

Do you mind posting a link for the router? I have no idea what to look for. TY.

You should check with your local Home Depot and see if they rent the router and jigs if you aren't a tool guy. Not much use for one of these after building your table, unless you do wood working.

They rent electric jig saws for $21 / day. I dont see any routers.

I would highly suggest you use a router rather than a jigsaw. Use a 1/4" upcut spiral bit and make each cut in 3 passes, dropping the router bit 1/4" at a time. Renting one is best if you don't do a lot of woodworking, next best is to try to borrow one from a friend and buy the bit if they don't have one. Last resorts would be to buy one on craigslist or new. You don't need a lot of HP for the router, just not a small palm router or laminate router.

For vinyl and foam, you can check out yourautotrim.com. They have good selection and prices. For vinyl, whisper is your best bet. 65lb foam for the rail, and 1/4" volara for the playing surface. I personally use something other than volara because (a) it's not readily available to me locally and (b) I find it dents easily and retains the dent which is the biggest downside of volara.

You shouldn't need any wood glue for the project, any glue you would need is spray adhesive to glue the playing surface to the foam and/or the rail foam to the rail plywood.

Thanks Tony. As always, top class info. I actually have a colleague who's husband is a carpenter. I think I may ask him to cut the wood for a fee and I can provide the materials and do the rest. I will ask him what tools he has and what he charges. Thanks!

I would highly suggest you use a router rather than a jigsaw. Use a 1/4" upcut spiral bit and make each cut in 3 passes, dropping the router bit 1/4" at a time. Renting one is best if you don't do a lot of woodworking, next best is to try to borrow one from a friend and buy the bit if they don't have one. Last resorts would be to buy one on craigslist or new. You don't need a lot of HP for the router, just not a small palm router or laminate router.

For vinyl and foam, you can check out yourautotrim.com. They have good selection and prices. For vinyl, whisper is your best bet. 65lb foam for the rail, and 1/4" volara for the playing surface. I personally use something other than volara because (a) it's not readily available to me locally and (b) I find it dents easily and retains the dent which is the biggest downside of volara.

You shouldn't need any wood glue for the project, any glue you would need is spray adhesive to glue the playing surface to the foam and/or the rail foam to the rail plywood.
Do you do anything to the rail after it is cut from the sheet? Round over the edges or leave them as is?

Wow the whisper vinyl at yourautotrim.com is crazy expensive, $210 for 9 yards. Doesnt seem right ($20 a yard without shipping?):

http://www.yourautotrim.com/black3.html
I think you are local to me? Jo-Ann's Fabric sells whisper vinyl locally so you can see the colors and feel the material for yourself (and avoid shipping). They may not have all the colors as YAT but they always seem to have at least some shade of black, brown, white and gray in stock...just make sure it says "Whisper Vinyl"

http://www.joann.com/upholstery-vin...z5x_VSovzAE5nTds9gRa02OfAjShhJuC20BoCLPbw_wcB

LMFAO. Now you know why I dont do wood working hahahahahaahahahaah!
Measure twice, cut once. I have found that after cutting, DO NOT measure it again, as you will realize you cut it wrong in the first place. Then you just pound it in, use extra nails or glue, step back and swear. Then hire a professional.

I think you are local to me? Jo-Ann's Fabric sells whisper vinyl locally so you can see the colors and feel the material for yourself (and avoid shipping). They may not have all the colors as YAT but they always seem to have at least some shade of black, brown, white and gray in stock...just make sure it says "Whisper Vinyl"

http://www.joann.com/upholstery-vin...z5x_VSovzAE5nTds9gRa02OfAjShhJuC20BoCLPbw_wcB

I found this store on Google. I dont know it, but they sell the black whisper vinyl for $13 / yard, no tax and no shipping :). Great deal, but its OOS. Thanks for the tip.

If the volara foam surface isnt ideal (i.e. the denting issue Tony mentioned), what are the alternatives?

If the volara foam surface isnt ideal (i.e. the denting issue Tony mentioned), what are the alternatives?
I believe some people use 1/4" carpet padding? Don't quote me on that though. :)

I always roundover the edges of the rail, inner and outer edges with a 1/4" roundover bit.

For foam alternatives, neoprene, ensolite and XPS are good alternatives. However, the first two come in limited lengths, usually 80" which isn't always long enough which is why I don't use them. I buy XPS by the roll, just a mere 500'.

I always roundover the edges of the rail, inner and outer edges with a 1/4" roundover bit.

For foam alternatives, neoprene, ensolite and XPS are good alternatives. However, the first two come in limited lengths, usually 80" which isn't always long enough which is why I don't use them. I buy XPS by the roll, just a mere 500'.

Thanks. I found this post on CT where they mention headliner foam. Is this stuff any good? I assume it needs to be closed cell foam to stop spills from penetrating correct?

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/question-about-foam-for-poker-table.7758/

Thanks. I found this post on CT where they mention headliner foam. Is this stuff any good? I assume it needs to be closed cell foam to stop spills from penetrating correct?

I've used headliner with pretty good results (along with chinese SSC). There's some debate on open cell vs closed cell. I generally come down on the "SSC prevents the liquid from ever reaching the foam" side, but I can see the arguments for closed cell.

Much better off with Volara IMO. More "push back" to resist imprinting when putting heavy obects on table (like chip cases/birdcages), and closed cell to keep from absorbing liquids. I also like the "bouncy" feel when doing chip tricks. :D

So the headliner foam is worse for denting vs the Volara? And Tony says he doesnt use Volara because of the way it dents. And neoprene is not an option because of sizing issues.

So what should I get?
I use 1/4" closed cell Volara on both of my table refinishes and am happy with it. It does dent - so you have to be careful in what you put and keep on top of the table. I didn't think about it and left my laptop on the table for a few days and the little square feet dented the foam. Good news it that it does bounce back after a few days. As long as you don't use the playing surface for storage, I haven't had a problem with the Volara.

I'd listen to Tony...as he has a TON more experience than I do with this. In my experience, Volara recovers fine...but it can be a while if you store something heavy on it for more than a few hours.

But as I said - the builder knows best. Especially if it's Chanman.

I've built like 8 tables...he probably builds that many in a batch.

I'd listen to Tony...as he has a TON more experience than I do with this. In my experience, Volara recovers fine...but it can be a while if you store something heavy on it for more than a few hours.

But as I said - the builder knows best. Especially if it's Chanman.

I've built like 8 tables...he probably builds that many in a batch.

I cant find the XPS foam online? Do they sell this stuff at Home Depot?

Seriously.
Listen to T_Chan:
For vinyl and foam, you can check out yourautotrim.com. They have good selection and prices. For vinyl, whisper is your best bet. 65lb foam for the rail, and 1/4" volara for the playing surface.

End of story. YAT is good people, they ship quick, and have the stuff you want for this project. No need to overthink this.

Got it, and the last piece on the materials list are the folding legs. What do you guys recommend?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom