Bruce Springsteen vs Shaquille O'neal (1 Viewer)

Who is more famous, worldwide?

• Total voters
If im not mistaken, thats only Americans and only facial recognition; not even close, sure, but its not my argument. Hes more recognizable by face/picture in the US this says, but doesnt include worldwide and music or name based. I cant really use this source. Am I way off?

If Shaq ran for president he’d win easily. He doesn’t lie and people would get behind him. He also says Stevie Wonder isn’t blind .
that first sentence is completely ridiculous and wrong. No backing whatsoever. Why would he not have run by now? Why would more celebrities not have run?

Um the orange man was a celebrity. Arnold was governor as was Jesse the body .
Very small sample size, not sure what you can pull from that without names of the candidates whod didn't make it.

Survivor bias is powerful, and you haven't named anyone on the national scale other than Trump where theres massive numbers of variables.

Very small sample size, not sure what you can pull from that without names of the candidates whod didn't make it.

Survivor bias is powerful, and you haven't named anyone on the national scale other than Trump where theres massive numbers of variables.
All young people Would vote Shaq. That’s a lot of people

Shaq AINEC.

Seat them next to each other in a cafe pretty much anywhere in the world and three in ten people will recognize Shaq. Two in ten will ask him if the old white guy next to him is his manager.

Shaq AINEC.

Seat them next to each other in a cafe pretty much anywhere in the world and three in ten people will recognize Shaq. Two in ten will ask him if the old white guy next to him is his manager.
See, this is the problem: Im not asking who is more recognizable, but fame in general. Obviously the 7ft guy is going to garner more attention, but pitting that against the music and impact of a 40 year international music career.

I have no idea about international perception, but in the US, I think it's Shaq by a mile. I'm not sure how many people under 40 in the US could name one song Bruce sings. I'm 46 and I'm not sure I could name more than a few Bruce songs.

I think in the NE, he's a bigger deal. I grew up in the south, and I know no one that listens to his music. That doesn't mean he's not great. He just doesn't register in my cohort. Everyone I know, including my two kids, know Shaq and he hasn't played since they were born.

I have no idea about international perception, but in the US, I think it's Shaq by a mile. I'm not sure how many people under 40 in the US could name one song Bruce sings. I'm 46 and I'm not sure I could name more than a few Bruce songs.

I think in the NE, he's a bigger deal. I grew up in the south, and I know no one that listens to his music. That doesn't mean he's not great. He just doesn't register in my cohort. Everyone I know, including my two kids, know Shaq and he hasn't played since they were born.
Okay, surprising but relevant. I moved from NJ to Georgia and was amazed how often I heard him on the radio even here, but I understand.

Obviously huge in NJ so I imagine your familiarity with him helped identify him on the radio.

I can only remember hearing a few of his songs on the radio ever and none in the past 20 years. I only listen to terrestrial radio so no satellite.

My most vivid memories of him during my impressionable youth were the Courtney Cox video where I wondered who this goofball singing was trying to look like Fonzie, and that 2 Live Crew wrote a parody cover of Born in the USA.

Obviously huge in NJ so I imagine your familiarity with him helped identify him on the radio.

I can only remember hearing a few of his songs on the radio ever and none in the past 20 years. I only listen to terrestrial radio so no satellite.

My most vivid memories of him during my impressionable youth were the Courtney Cox video where I wondered who this goofball singing was trying to look like Fonzie, and that 2 Live Crew wrote a parody cover of Born in the USA.
Very fair, I'm incredibly biased. Thanks for your POV.

See, this is the problem: Im not asking who is more recognizable, but fame in general. Obviously the 7ft guy is going to garner more attention, but pitting that against the music and impact of a 40 year international music career.
Basketball is the number one sport in countries like China, the Philippines, and a top 3-7 sport in many, if not most other countries. Plenty of legitimate sports sites rank it the second or third most popular sport in the world. Shaq is easily in the top five most famous/popular basketball players of the last few generations - probably all time. He does ads in Australia on free-to-air TV (where he never bounced a ball) and in other countries across the globe. He has over 250 TV commercials to his name, many are international campaigns.

Springsteen is popular with a certain generation of music fans (and even then, he fits a genre so not even all music fans) and I'm not sure his music is playing on repeat in places China, the Philippines, Lithuania or Spain? Is he doing car commercials in Spain? Betting ads in the UK?

Springsteen hasn't had a top 40 single chart in the US, UK or Australia since 1997 - and even that was a re-release on the Jerry Maguire Soundtrack. His original music releases haven't been relevant since the late 80’s. Anyone under thirty would walk past him in the street without a second thought.

Shaq v Taylor Swift would be WAY closer.

The results of my in depth survey of 12 middle aged Scottish guys is in…

8/12 know who Springstein is.

2/12 know who O’Neal is.

4/12 haven’t even read the message yet.

I’m sure you will all agree that those results are conclusive and absolutely devastating for the O’Neal camp!!

Basketball is the number one sport in countries like China, the Philippines, and a top 3-7 sport in many, if not most other countries. Plenty of legitimate sports sites rank it the second or third most popular sport in the world. Shaq is easily in the top five most famous/popular basketball players of the last few generations - probably all time. He does ads in Australia on free-to-air TV (where he never bounced a ball) and in other countries across the globe. He has over 250 TV commercials to his name, many are international campaigns.

Springsteen is popular with a certain generation of music fans (and even then, he fits a genre so not even all music fans) and I'm not sure his music is playing on repeat in places China, the Philippines, Lithuania or Spain? Is he doing car commercials in Spain? Betting ads in the UK?

Springsteen hasn't had a top 40 single chart in the US, UK or Australia since 1997 - and even that was a re-release on the Jerry Maguire Soundtrack. His original music releases haven't been relevant since the late 80’s. Anyone under thirty would walk past him in the street without a second thought.

Shaq v Taylor Swift would be WAY closer.
Hmm maybe I’m completely off. I think this list is what I had in the back of my mind

IMG_8972.jpeg

But then then there’s this, apparently. Mostly shocked about number 2, to be honest. Can that be real?

IMG_8971.png

Hmm maybe I’m completely off. I think this list is what I had in the back of my mind

View attachment 1186442

But then then there’s this, apparently. Mostly shocked about number 2, to be honest. Can that be real?

View attachment 1186443
Cricket is the the number one sport in most of the ex-colonies of the ex-British Empire and it’s funny because all of those countries regularly beat England at it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

One match can last 5 days and nothing really happens for 4.5 of those days. A Test is 5 of those matches. Absolutely fucking brutal to watch.

Cricket is the the number one sport in most of the ex-colonies of the ex-British Empire and it’s funny because all of those countries regularly beat England at it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

One match can last 5 days and nothing really happens for 4.5 of those days. A Test is 5 of those matches. Absolutely fucking brutal to watch.
To be fair I’ve never watched it. Somehow that discription didn’t quite turn me on to the idea either :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1186442

View attachment 1186443
Yes, #2 on the list is real. Google the value of the Indian Premier League which is only 15 years old.

10 teams, only runs for 6 weeks a year, and is currently valued at more than 15 billion (up almost 80% on last year's value) owing to TV rights. Each game is watched by hundreds of millions.

Yes, #2 on the list is real. Google the value of the Indian Premier League which is only 15 years old.

10 teams, only runs for 6 weeks a year, and is currently valued at more than 15 billion (up almost 80% on last year's value) owing to TV rights. Each game is watched by hundreds of millions.
I’m not disputing this, or questioning the accuracy. Even still, this makes absolutely no sense - at all. Lol

China's population by age is interesting:

1000065624.jpg

I think it's a relatively fair assumption that, if you're aged 30+, you've heard of both.

China's population by age is interesting:

View attachment 1186551

I think it's a relatively fair assumption that, if you're aged 30+, you've heard of both.
Haha I mean how much music do Chinese people listen to that’s not even in their language ? Appears young people only and there are not that many young people.

FE723D65-7519-4AE4-901C-DAE1F19E8EA1.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom