Board Gamers, show us your loot! (2 Viewers)

What is everyone's favorite train themed game? I'd like to get another besides ticket to ride. The 18XX games look interesting. The wife likes to play board games but she isn't one to play for 4-5+ hours without some serious convincing. Most of the time she's up for a 2-3 hour game max so it can't be a crazy long train game.

For example we started Through the Ages a new Civilization game and we only made it about 3 hours she was calling it quits. I hope eventually we can get all the way through that game!

What is everyone's favorite train themed game? I'd like to get another besides ticket to ride. The 18XX games look interesting. The wife likes to play board games but she isn't one to play for 4-5+ hours without some serious convincing. Most of the time she's up for a 2-3 hour game max so it can't be a crazy long train game.

For example we started Through the Ages a new Civilization game and we only made it about 3 hours she was calling it quits. I hope eventually we can get all the way through that game!
18Lilliput is fun and shorter than the average 18xx game. I hear good things about the crayon rail games (have a couple on the way to me but haven't played them) and Northern Pacific is an amazing short filler train game.

18XX isn't great at 2 player anyways, I have 18CZ with its special 2 player mode and I like it but it's not quite the same, 1846 has a 2 player variant that is supposed to be good as well and it's cheap to buy. On the plus side, after 1-2 games I expect a 2 player 18xx would end up at 2-3 hours, especially 18CZ since it has a set number of turns.

2 player, good train games? That's a short list. TTR might be the only tolerable game on the list. There are some Railways of the World maps that work well with 2 players now that I think about it.

I have a smattering of board games, but my original first love is D&D. I have way more $$$ invested in 3D dungeon terrain from Dwarven Forge than I ever had in poker chips - no lie.

Last edited:
The Resistance gets played at least a couple times each board game night, its a great one for a group of poker players

I'm shocked that I haven't seen any X-Wing anywhere, maybe I missed some plastic tackle boxes in a pic somewhere, because it's a nightmare to store, but I have around $1200 in that game alone. Next on the list if it counts is D&D which I currently DM three separate campaigns each week. Such a friggin blast

The Resistance gets played at least a couple times each board game night, its a great one for a group of poker players

I'm shocked that I haven't seen any X-Wing anywhere, maybe I missed some plastic tackle boxes in a pic somewhere, because it's a nightmare to store, but I have around $1200 in that game alone. Next on the list if it counts is D&D which I currently DM three separate campaigns each week. Such a friggin blast
I prefer wings of glory to x-wing but my buddy has a ton of first edition x-wing stuff

I prefer wings of glory to x-wing but my buddy has a ton of first edition x-wing stuff

I'm a hobby pilot, so I'm sure I would love it, but my local store only has a Spitfire and a 109, are there many more options that I'm just oblivious to?

Chicago Express. Everyone I've played it with has enjoyed it.

When I was about 11-13 me and a few buddies played an old TSR game called Fight In The Skies, which was a WWI aerial dogfight strategic board game. I remember we made up all sorts of rules where you could "level up" your pilot and your plane based on the number of completed missions you had, or number of enemy planes shot down, etc.

Anyone here play The Resistance or Avalon? They're awesome board games, especially if you enjoy poker. You have to read other players and try to figure out who are the spies and who are the good guys. Involves bluffing and trickery. Great games for 5 to 10 players.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41114/resistance

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128882/resistance-avalon

View attachment 248152View attachment 248153

We used to play a lot of those, but then we got Secret Hitler and we haven't turned back. Similar game, but more fun theme and some streamlined play. Secret Trump expansion is a hoot as well, depending on which direction your group might lean politically.

When I was about 11-13 me and a few buddies played an old TSR game called Fight In The Skies, which was a WWI aerial dogfight strategic board game. I remember we made up all sorts of rules where you could "level up" your pilot and your plane based on the number of completed missions you had, or number of enemy planes shot down, etc.
Fight In The Skies was later re-released as Dawn Patrol. Another game that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately, the game was shunned by my RPG group as "too 'Bored'-Gamey" :unsure:. I would have loved to run it as an RPG, but seriously, you would go through characters a bit quickly. Real WWI pilots had a life expectancy of just 11 days. :eek:

Anyone interested in these? Giving OP dibs but I'm dreading listing these on eBay. Taking offers for 1 or all don't matter. Some are sealed still.

Attachments

• IMG_20190215_163338585.jpg
    IMG_20190215_163338585.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 207
So I've been testing a Diplomacy app, Diplicity (sorry, Apple users, only on Android as far as I can tell). So far, :tup:

Everything is done through the app... Orders submitted, maps, press...

Last edited:
Is anybody else backing Tiny Epic Tactics? I went for the Deluxe version with the extra maps. So far I have Tiny Epic Galaxies and Quest, but I haven't had a chance to play Quest yet. I just picked that one up. Tactics looks fun!

Anybody played Ex Libris? I think that will be my next purchase. I think that's right in the wheelhouse for when my wife and I have game night with some couples we're friends with. My wife used to work for the library back in college and right after, so the theme appeals to her.

I’ve played ex-libris, was a fine fun game but didn’t jump at me enough to buy it. However I do have a ton of medium weight worker placement games already so I’m picky there.

Lots of variability to setup and individual powers so it should have a lot of replayability

Agree with the assessment of Ex Libris. I'll play, but it will never be on my shelf. I'm about to spend too much on poker chips, so no Kickstarter backing for a while. I do have 7th Continent All In and Batman All In on the way, so that will be nice.

How would you rate it compared to Lords of Waterdeep? I like that one a lot, and it looked like there were some similarities between them.

About the same I think. Maybe a bit better because the secret objectives don’t overlap like they do in Lord’s of waterdeep so they can’t screw anyone.

I’m waiting for On Mars, Oceans and maybe Glenmore II to pop up on Kickstarter. And I’m planning to buy 1822CA so that is my board game budget mostly spent.

Tiny Epic Tactics

I went and got 2 copies of Tiny Epic Zombies from the KS, and regretted it. One's on my shelf of shame. The other has been languishing in a local online flea market. I have Tiny Epic Defenders, which I don't like much, and Tiny Epic Galaxies, which is also on my shelf of shame.

So I decided to pass on Tiny Epic Tactics.

Well, if anybody feels inclined to Like TET on BGG, I would appreciate it. If the game hits 2,500 likes then we get upgraded dice.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/272409/tiny-epic-tactics

I bought a used copy of Galaxies first because it seemed to be the most popular of the series. I've only played it solo as a lunchtime game so far, but it's fun for that. I picked up Quest used too for $15. The artwork looks really good and I like the theme. I'm hoping I can get my son to try it with me. The Itemeeples are a neat idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom