Basement Poker Room & Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Just catching up on this thread and the ceiling looks fantastic. Well done. Keep us updated with all the progress. Very much looking forward to seeing how this ends up

I, myself, was wondering if a wallpaper strip in something suitably "poker-room appropriate", like a baroque gold on maroon would work, unless it's a no-no to stick something directly on the ducting....

I, myself, was wondering if a wallpaper strip in something suitably "poker-room appropriate", like a baroque gold on maroon would work, unless it's a no-no to stick something directly on the ducting....

I have some remenants of suited speed cloth.... ;)

If the plank "veneer" doesn't look good, it'll just get painted.

Carpet installation is scheduled Friday! (y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup:

Prepping for the carpet installation on Friday by finishing up some accent painting, installing vinyl flooring under where the bar will be, and working towards finishing up the ceiling.

I covered that one duct in the ceiling in the previous photo with cedar panels. The duct is flush with the bottoms of the floor joists, so in order to hold them up, I had to make some custom trim pieces that would support the panels on each side and get tacked to the floor joints. I did this by ripping a 1x4 into 1/2" strips on the table saw, then routered a channel to catch (and hide) the panel edges and rounded the other side on the router table.

20181010_230434.jpg

20181010_230526.jpg

20181010_230529.jpg

So here you can see everything in place, I used a little adhesive to temporary hold the panels in place and then tacked up the trim piece over the panel edges. Came out pretty good.

20181010_230742.jpg

20181010_230559.jpg

Continued with the ceiling installation on the far side of the room, which won't have quite as clean of a look due to all the hvac ducts. I painted the old sheet metal ducts with the same hammered black enamel paint as the sewer and lally columns, it really cleaned them up nice. I have one newer round duct that I think I'm going to leave as is and not paint, the newer sheet metals seem to have a coating on them that makes painting them tough.

20181010_230652.jpg

And here's a quick shot of the bar area, I went with a weather wood vinyl tile for under the bar. ~2/3 of the bar base will be a counter top over refrigerators, one for bottles & cans and another for the kegerator, so I needed a finished floor in this area for the fridges to sit on.

20181009_222212.jpg

Updated sketch on the bar plan, I have a dimensioned sketch in the works as well:

Bar_Sketch_V2.jpg

Tonight will be taking off the door panels and clearing out for tomorrow's carpet install. Once that's in I'm taking a much needed break this weekend. :coffee: <- there will be lots of booze in that coffee lol

Yeah so that "take the weekend off" idea never materialized, I just can't fully relax when I know there's a project to finish.... So I painted and then reinstalled the doors, did some more of the ceiling and then spent most of the day Sunday moving the tables out of the shop & back into the room (needed my full shop back for poker table work). There probably won't be many more updates for a few weeks, have to switch gears and work on a couple of poker tables that customers have been very patiently waiting for. I did snap a few pics of the table in the room, once the room is 100% complete I'll be reupholstering the table with a new chanman cloth and a new suede rail:

20181014_200534.jpg
20181014_200558.jpg
20181014_200607.jpg

I got all the outlets & covers installed, so the room is now juiced. Also ran the gas piping for the ventless heater and then got the poker area TVs mounted up and cable back up and running so I could host a long overdue poker night. New Dia de los Muertos chips will be in play :)

20181026_165625.jpg
20181026_165740.jpg
20181026_165710.jpg

Nice! I'm only in Brooklyn so I'd love to make it out to one of your tournaments some time.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm only in Brooklyn so I'd love to make it out to one of you tournaments some time.

Would love to have another PCFer join us. I try to post the games here, though I'll likely start a new thread next year once the room is done, I can't edit the OP on the previous one any more.

Would love to have another PCFer join us. I try to post the games here, though I'll likely start a new thread next year once the room is done, I can't edit the OP on the previous one any more.
Great, I'll keep a watch on that thread.

After 3 hours of shit cards, the host ran KJ and flopped top pair into AJ and was knocked out. But these chips rock, they stack like bricks and shuffle great, got lots of compliments from the crew.

20181026_221430.jpg
20181026_224850.jpg

After some away time to address other projects, I was able to spend a good hunk of the weekend on the room. I got the remnants of the ceiling work finished, trim moulding cut, painted and installed, handles installed on all the doors, and the stereo and home theater projector mostly up and running. I also hooked up a small extra TV in the poker area so that I can broadcast the Tournament Director blinds screen into that area, this way I can keep the laptop out of the way.

20181112_002102.jpg

20181112_002008.jpg
20181112_001951.jpg
20181112_002047.jpg
20181112_001629.jpg

The weather turned pretty cold the past week, I've noticed an interesting effect from having the insulation in both the walls and ceiling. Since I typically don't keep the heat registers open down there, the room actually gets a little cooler than it used to when not in use (ceiling insulation keeps the heat from the main floor from leaking down). It's been hovering right at 60 degrees the past few days (outside temps in the 30s-40s). But once I turn on the heater, it warms up to 70 really quick, and the heater only comes on every now and then to maintain the temp, whereas I needed it on pretty much full time to keep the chill out of the room. The audio muffling from the sound insulation is tremendous as well. I'm very happy with how everything has turned out so far, and got a lot of good feedback from the guys when we played cards a few weeks ago. I still have a handful of things to finish up:
  • Finish installing home theater system:
    • Install a small shelf for the blu ray player in the media area
    • Run speaker wire for the subwoofer (I completely overlooked this :banghead: )
    • Install AV line to hook the laptop up to the receiver for music (need this until I upgrade the receiver to wireless blue tooth)
    • Run HDMI to new TV for TD blinds display
  • Faux beam cover for the main support girder
  • Build/install custom door for storage closet under the stairs
  • Install shelving in water meter closet (card/chip storage)
  • Start custom bar build (a whole other project in itself :) )
I'm going to shoot to get the home theater stuff tidied up this week, then maybe take a shot at the faux beam cover after Thanksgiving, if time permits before the holidays get rolling. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my boys and I put up a holiday train layout down in the basement, and this year will be no different :)

looks great! I like the ceiling, plush carpet, and projector setup. Very cozy and functional looking space!

Been very busy with life the last few weeks, but I managed to finish up the AV area, now the full surround sound system is up and running so we can start watching movies again.

20181128_223211.jpg

Setup for game nights with the laptop on the side and new TV installed for the tournament blinds screen. I also cut and installed the door for the storage area under the stairs, this was just a 1/2" sheet of plywood cut to fit the opening with some framing at the hinges, and I used a pair of magnetic spring loaded catches to avoid having to install a handle. I do need to install a small latch to help keep the door from opening if someone bumps into it.

20181128_223314.jpg

20181127_221000.jpg

And our Christmas train setup is now up :) This has been a Christmas time tradition with my boys the past 4-5 years, every year we try to add something new to the "permanent" portion of the layout. The first year we got the layout up and painted white for snow, another year we did the little ice pond on the right, another year we built the volcano (which yes does actually "erupt" with smoke - fog machine), and last year we added some hills & caves. Then the boys spend the next couple of weeks filling out the balance of the scenery with various lego creations. Keeps them busy all December lol.

20181127_221134.jpg

20181127_221047.jpg

I was going to wait until the order came in before posting anything, but after hearing the HHR mold will be in production soon, I'm too excited not to share a little sneak peak of the custom CPC tourney set that will be commemorating the new room:

mc_bh_mock_front.jpg
mc_bh_mock_back.jpg

Last edited:
Holy shitballs that set is awesome, you snuck that one in quietly.

You’ve done such a fantastic job with the spots and colours that I can’t even pick a favourite.

Strong work as always. I might suggest painting the storage area door to match the walls. I know your other doors are probably white but I think it would look nice to be more of a hidden door.

Curious and not a criticism, why the 20k and 25k chips in the same set?

Strong work as always. I might suggest painting the storage area door to match the walls. I know your other doors are probably white but I think it would look nice to be more of a hidden door.

Curious and not a criticism, why the 20k and 25k chips in the same set?

I really hemmed and hawed about painting the door blue or white, and ended up flipping a coin to make the final call :coffee:

The 20k/25k chips were an equally as lazy of a decision - I couldn't decide which chip I wanted so I got both :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: They likely won't be in play at the same time, I'll use the 20ks for T20k starting stack games (rebuys) and the 25ks for T25k/T50k starting stack games. Mas chips.

I really hemmed and hawed about painting the door blue or white, and ended up flipping a coin to make the final call :coffee:

The 20k/25k chips were an equally as lazy of a decision - I couldn't decide which chip I wanted so I got both :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: They likely won't be in play at the same time, I'll use the 20ks for T20k starting stack games (rebuys) and the 25ks for T25k/T50k starting stack games. Mas chips.

Moar chipes is always the correct answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom