At The Wynn $1/$3 - KJs (1 Viewer)

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about this hand for quite a few months and have already discussed it live with some of you. Decided to post it here to broaden the discussion, specially about what happens at the end. Anyways:

Playing $1/$3 at The Wynn last year, during the WSOP. I had been at the table for about 30mins seating at about $700 on a $500 buy-in. Villain was already at the table when I sat down and had me covered by a barrel or two.

No major reads both from my perspective as well as from his. Villain is an older guy, kinda OMC-ish but at this point, it's hard to rely on this read. I had been pretty active and had won a couple of pots with no show down.

I'm in middle position with :ks::js: and open to $15, kinda the average opening for the table. Folds to Villain on the Button who calls. Blinds fold. Heads-up.

Flop comes :jd::ts::6d:. Hero's action (pot $34)?

Pretty much what DD said. Pretty wet board with multiple draws out there, but you are likely to have the best hand so need to get value with the best of it. Bet $25 and hope for a small spade.

Bet $20 or $25 as said.

But I could also go for a check/delayed C-bet to mix things up and disguise the strength of your hand. Your stacks are deep, if you don’t improve your should not be getting value from this hand on more than 2 streets. So checking here helps control the pot size since you are out of position.

I wouldn’t take this like all of the time, but sometimes for sure.

SPR is 20, we have TPGK. I don't want to bloat the pot. Check and see what develops.

But I could also go for a check/delayed C-bet to mix things up and disguise the strength of your hand. Your stacks are deep, if you don’t improve your should not be getting value from this hand on more than 2 streets. So checking here helps control the pot size since you are out of position.

I wouldn’t take this like all of the time, but sometimes for sure.

I'm assuming you guys are going for the check/call if bet into, right?

1/2 the time I'm betting here the other 1/2 I'm check calling.

Switzerland-flag-2.jpg

J/K of course Craig... It makes sense...

Situations like these are exactly why I hate playing KJ from early or middle position. As played I'm check-calling the flop and reevaluating the board on the turn. Villian has a huge range here on the button and many of those hands can connect with this board pretty hard

I'd much rather bet $25ish than check/call, since I get a bit more info that way, and he very well may fold. Various things can happen either way:
  • I check, followed by his bet or check. His check likely reflects weakness on this board, his bet could be a hit,a draw, or a bluff. I plan to call a bet.
  • I bet, followedd by his fold, call, or raise. His fold is welcome, a call may indicate a hit or a draw, and a raise could be a flush-wary set or a big draw. I plan to probably call a raise, but will be read-dependent.
I like getting the extra info (and the occassional fold) from betting.

Situations like these are exactly why I hate playing KJ from early or middle position. As played I'm check-calling the flop and reevaluating the board on the turn. Villian has a huge range here on the button and many of those hands can connect with this board pretty hard

I hear you man... So you rather fold KJs pre in middle position, Josh?

Personally, I'd probably limp vs raise unless the table was full of nits, or my table image was a rock.

Sure thing, Dave. I don't remember the last time I limped an unopened pot, that's why it didn't cross my mind asking Josh for that possibility. Maybe it's a leak of mine.

This is a must bet with Top Pair, 2nd nut kicker and a back door flush draw. You should only be checking the top and bottom of your range here, never the middle. I would argue that you should probably be betting your whole range in this spot heads up.

I’ll add maybe the open should be closer to $10-12

Fair enough, I'd prefer a small opening as well. For some reason the table was opening to $15 and I decided to keep my openings consistent.

Alright guys. That was kinda the easiest part. I won't take too long to advance this since it seems we are leaning towards a bet here, mixed in with some chack/calls.

I tend to lean more towards betting in this spot because of the wet board. I don't think I'm betting my whole range here but TPSK + backdoor flush is a bit too strong to check IMO. I probably check a hand like 99 and possibly AK/AQ. I totally see the merit in checking/calling for pot control though.

Anyways I'm holding :ks::js: mid position and flop comes :jd::ts::6d: pot is $34. I bet $23. Villain tanks for about a minute and makes it $80. So pot now is $137, and it's $57 to me.

Action to Hero?

Last edited:
kinda OMC-ish

Since we don't have any reads on him. I think OMC is similar for "tight" ish? Guess I should have googled it :) Feels like he might have a set? I want to say fold. In the moment I'm not sure that is what I would do. Honestly, I think Fold<Call. I'm not re-raising.

I call. His range here is pretty big, but the only things currently ahead are 66, AJ, and JT. I figure he would have raised pre-flop with JJ or TT in position, so I'm throwing those out. He more likely has a straight-, flush-, or combo-draw.

EDIT: Well, okay, AA, KK, and QQ are also ahead, but i'm throwing those out too, since he didn't re-pop it pre-flop.

Since we don't have any reads on him. I think OMC is similar for "tight" ish? Guess I should have googled it :) Feels like he might have a set? I want to say fold. In the moment I'm not sure that is what I would do. Honestly, I think Fold<Call. I'm not re-raising.

I call. His range here is pretty big, but the only things currently ahead are 66, AJ, and JT. I figure he would have raised pre-flop with JJ or TT in position, so I'm throwing those out. He more likely has a straight-, flush-, or combo-draw.

That probably makes more sense than my post. My biggest leak is "NLHE" :)

Since we don't have any reads on him. I think OMC is similar for "tight" ish?

Yep! A grumpy nit. But as I said, not enough time to form a good image of Villain. The good thing about putting someone in a "box" is that it makes decisions easier, however, those decisions are based on the read and not so much on ranges, if you know what I mean. Point being: if I tell he IS INDEED an OMC, it's always a fold.

I rather think about the hand readless and then maybe adjust slightly based on an eventual read. My preference anyways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom