This got me tilted. What about you? (1 Viewer)

Kentucky

Pair
Reaction score
Still grinding those 2c/5c streets and started adding a third table this week to Pump Up The Volume. Anyway, this hand got me tilted at the time, and tilted again when I reviewed it...

9 handed.
Villain 1 passes my must-know-something test as he has a 180BB stack. Villain 2 has around the max buy-in, 100BB. Hero is a little under, starting the hand at 90BB.

Villain 1 is UTG and puts in the standard 3x raise to $0.15.
Villain 2 calls from the HJ.
Hero looks down at :jd: :ts: from the BB and elects to defend. I've been working on defending a little wider generally, but I don't think this spot is controversial, so I'll move right along.

Flop comes down monotone - :2c::jc::6c:
Pot is $0.47
I don't really have a donking range so I check in flow.
Villain 1 surrenders the betting lead with a check.
Villain 2 doesn't believe in free cards and goes for a chunky 2/3 pot bet at $0.34.

Action on Hero...

3 way with no position and one of the weaker kicker on a monogram flop with no club blocker, I will fold here

I might call sometimes thou if I have the position or is just a head-u

Last edited:
I agree with the fold. Sometimes Hero will fold a winner, but the prospect of two more streets with top pair / meh kicker on a monochrome board in bad position seems painful. And there is always the risk of a check/raise where Hero will be strongly encourage to abandon the hand after another 7bb tossed in the pot.

DrStrange

Last edited:
While J10 (suited) is my absolute favorite hold’em hand I have no issue folding top pair no kicker on a 1 suite flop multi-way. I guess I have played way too much PLO to give this hand on this board much consideration, but I’m never having to worry about going broke here either. For the few times Hero is ahead, it doesn’t make up for all the other times Hero is completely crushed and drawing to runner runner.

Seems like the hive mind is in agreement that this is an easy fold. In the moment folding seemed too exploitable to me with a top pair. I wasn't fist pumping but felt duty bound to carry on. It seems more obvious reading your comments that there is virtually no run out I'm going to like and I'm probably going to crumple to further aggression - especially vs. multiple opponents - having just tossed away 7BBs.

I'll run the rest of the hand out....

Villain 1 is UTG and puts in the standard 3x raise to $0.15.
Villain 2 calls from the HJ.
Hero looks down at :jd: :ts: from the BB and elects to defend. I've been working on defending a little wider generally, but I don't think this spot is controversial, so I'll move right along.

Pot is $0.47
I don't really have a donking range so I check in flow.
Villain 1 surrenders the betting lead with a check.
Villain 2 doesn't believe in free cards and goes for a chunky 2/3 pot bet at $0.34.

Hero calls, not loving it.
Villain 1 calls.

Pot is $1.49
Turn comes :2c::jc::6c: - :5h:

Hero checks
Villain 2 changes his opinion on free cards and It checks around.

River comes :2c::jc::6c::5h: - :5s:

Hero checks
Villain 1 over pots for $1.75
Hero is skeptical that run out helped anyone.
Villain 2 calls
Hero tanks a little while, and concludes he can't be good vs. 2 others here and lays it down.

Villain 1 shows :kd::ac: for a river bluff with the nut flush draw.
Villain 2 shows :tc::as: for a... ...a non-bluff catching bluff catcher?
Hero rotates off axis for a few minutes having laid down the best of it.

I live and learn...

Haven’t checked spoiler yet but here’s my 2 cents:

Pre: easy defend closing the action
Flop: Pretty easy call as well. He could (and prob should) take a stab with a wide range in position after the pre-flop raiser checks. Sure, you’re probably checking all of your hands here and could be strong, but I still think he has incentive to bet wide. Probably done if he keeps firing the turn.
Turn: obv not liking that villain 1 stuck around and I will be check/folding.
River: fold

Edit: checked spoiler; weirdos. Still happy with the fold.

kicker on a monogram flop

meh kicker on a monochrome board

IMG_4082.gif

IMO J10 is not a great defending hand anyway. If you were in position its not bad to see multiway with, but at the end of the day you're still only calling for a draw and not suited you're literally hoping for 2 scenarios:
A non connected board
A connected board in which you make your straight or are open ended
A jack high pair, with a 10 kicker

Probably better to just fold. The whole point of defending is to get yourself in a HU position. I'd find better stuff to defend with that plays better HU.
AJ, KJ, QJ all have you crushed

AX, suited connectors that play better post flop

In that same scenario J top pair with a bad kicker against 2 opponents, you really don't have any idea where you're at unless you have a bunch of notes on your opponents. Lets say the board wasn't monotone and it was like 2J6 all offsuit. Are you still comfortable calling the overbet against unkowns? If the answer is probably not you just wasted like 10bbs doing effectively nothing. If your answer is yes, you're just playing bingo.

If you're planning to open your defending range a bit try reraising pre? Might isolate some limpers with weird holdings, and allow the slowplayers with AK to wake up and 4 bet you, in which case you can comfortably fold preflop and save yourself the headache.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom