As a dealer, how do increase more hands per hour? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, other than increasing my shuffling & putting out the community card speed, what are some tips to increase hands per hour? I've only been dealing for 2 years, so I'm sure there are some shortcuts or techniques that I could be implementing — whether it's telling newer players that they will be first to act before the hand is dealt or moving the burn cards out of the way after the river is dealt so I can ship the pot across the table with no obstructions. Idk, I figured it would be worth asking y'all for any over your wisdom!

The most important time a dealer has to take control is in between showdown and until the last card is pitched on the next hand. During that period, its 100% on the dealer how fast/slow the pace moves. Other than that, if you are just paying attention and following the action, you should be doing just fine. Make sure everyone knows when its their turn. Counting out bets and stacks so they are easy to read is another thing to cut time and confusion. the goal is to crank out 30+ hph. I found the dealers who are trying to go even faster have to rush the players and that is unprofessional. I go at a very smooth pace and focus on preventing mistakes from players instead of rushing them.

The most important time a dealer has to take control is in between showdown and until the last card is pitched on the next hand. During that period, its 100% on the dealer how fast/slow the pace moves. Other than that, if you are just paying attention and following the action, you should be doing just fine. Make sure everyone knows when its their turn. Counting out bets and stacks so they are easy to read is another thing to cut time and confusion. the goal is to crank out 30+ hph. I found the dealers who are trying to go even faster have to rush the players and that is unprofessional. I go at a very smooth pace and focus on preventing mistakes from players instead of rushing them.
Thank you! Question: Do you always set the pot and mucked cards on a particular side? This accounts if the dealer is also playing

Thank you! Question: Do you always set the pot and mucked cards on a particular side? This accounts if the dealer is also playing
If I'm going to deal the whole game, I place the pot to my left and the muck to my right and keep the stub in my hand from first pitch until the river is dealt.

If I'm going to deal the whole game, I place the pot to my left and the muck to my right and keep the stub in my hand from first pitch until the river is dealt.
I'm going to try this ! I haven't picked a consistent system. Sometimes i'll keep the pot on the right if all the action is happening on the left side of the table. However, a consistent system would create a nice habit

In the room I worked at, both the pot and the muck were on the left side. muck should usually be on the same side as the pot so it is protected a little bit.

we use 2 decks
oh yeah. This is huge. I wasn't thinking about home game play. using two decks can be faster than a shuffle machine. Pitch out the cards, and then immediately drop the deck and shuffle the other one. you should be able to get the next deck shuffled before the preflop action is over. then drop the shuffled deck and pick up the current deck and you're good to go. A lot of work, but great to have a shuffled deck in the chamber at all times.

When I am dealer/player for the night, I ask another player that is a good shuffler to shuffle the deck just used while I start with the new deck immediately.

Two biggest things I can think of.

1. Use two decks. Have another player at the table shuffle the unused deck during the hand.

2. Remind players when the action is on them.

Waiting for shuffling and players not realizing its their action is going to cost wayyy more time than anything like how quickly you spread the flop or burn cards.

Local games I'm in have 2 decks, shuffle either on or behind the button. Two dedicated player/dealers. Each one just does the cut themselves as they didn't shuffle.

I have a shuffle tech, but hand shuffling works just as fast until we get down to 4 or fewer players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom