Are these Roll & Play mats any good as a stopgap measure? (3 Viewers)

mcfjack

Sitting Out
Reaction score
https://www.thepokerstore.com/colle...lay-green-suited-rubber-poker-table-mat-70x35

I'm trying to just find something simple to lay over a kitchen table for an occasional micro/low stakes home game and I don't have the room for a dedicated table (goal for the next house), so wondering if these are worth it or if they're too cheap and crappy. I also looked at Viking Mats that someone else posted on here but they're nearly twice the price for the size I needed so I wanted to crowd-source a solution. First game in two weeks (probably should have thought about this a month ago)

Yes they are cheap and crappy but if that's your budget then yes they would work as a stop gap.

PCFers will point you to https://www.pokerchipforum.com/forums/action-table-toppers.158/ which while a bit more expensive can be completely custom and sized to fit.

For a game in a couple of weeks though you are probably looking at your initial options if it's an absolute must but personally I would get a custom topper and play on the wooden surface until it arrives :p

I have bought a similar mat from the poker store. It will definitely get the job done in a pinch, but there are better options for a little more. One thing that I found with my cheap mat is that it is difficult to pick up cards. But again, we all start somewhere.

Our group raves about this one. On sale for $32 via Amazon.

IMG_5411.jpeg

IMG_5317.jpeg

I have a practically brand new PCF mat (I've unrolled it just once) that I don't need anymore. Send me PM if you're interested. @mcfjack
These are solid. My group liked it so much I bought 2 more for a couple of them. They hit the market just in time. I highly recommend you snap this one up. Super easy to clean too. Already had a couple of fouls and it still looks brand new.
20231112_004933.jpg

IMG_20231002_104814.jpg

Table topper is fine especially if you not hosting regularly.

A poker table will be a plus if you are hosting at least twice a month.

I used to host using those China Poker Topper, not the best but it does the work, well better than just playing on a regular table without a topper

Those are very old pictures, when I am still a PCF freshman
IMG_3063.jpeg

cc9c761a-5cd6-487f-8ff4-c6005bfe4fba.jpeg
9e828057-56ad-4a1e-a5a8-8e4ccd6fa31d.jpeg

IMO the Triton toppers are nice for a hard table top because they are 5 mm thick and therfore have enough give to allow for easy pickup of the cards when dealt. I think the PCP one and even the Action Table Toppers are only about 2 mm thick. I use an Action topper on my existing poker table which already has foam underneath to supply that cushion. But when we play at my friends house we use a Trtion topper on his wood table.

You can get the Triton mats on Amazon and they range in price from $80 -120 depdning upon the color/style

IMO the Triton toppers are nice for a hard table top because they are 5 mm thick and therfore have enough give to allow for easy pickup of the cards when dealt. I think the PCP one and even the Action Table Toppers are only about 2 mm thick. I use an Action topper on my existing poker table which already has foam underneath to supply that cushion. But when we play at my friends house we use a Trtion topper on his wood table.

You can get the Triton mats on Amazon and they range in price from $80 -120 depdning upon the color/style
PCF toppers are 6 mm.

FWIW, I’ve been using a 3mm mat for four years without complaint or ill-effect. Only verified thickness due to other recent posts. Also, the 3mm mat is plenty heavy enough to carry along with a Nanuk case full of chips.

IMG_5418.jpeg

If you’re at all handy, I’ve posted before about making a simple topper from scratch.

Steps:

Buy some closed-cell foam, either online or from a local shop.

Cut the foam to fit your table.

Buy some speed cloth or other suitable felt/fabric that cards can move on.

Cut it with about 5" extra on each side to drape over the table edge.

Use 3M or similar adhesive spray to affix the cloth to the foam. You’ll want a friend to help drape it evenly.

Work out any air bubbles and stack books on it for a day.

Should cost about the same as a commercial topper, but it will fit your table exactly.

Only caveat is that some foam doesn’t like being rolled and can wrinkle. When I made one of these I used to hang it up on a basement or garage wall between games.

This one is really nice at a low price point. Easy to pick up cards, water repellant, rubber backing, various sizes & colors. Only hesitation is that the surface is so even that with thicker plastic cards the card edges "stick" to each other making it harder to wash the cards together.

https://www.allplay.com/playmats/
These look pretty nice. If only it came in a suited speed cloth design I would try to pick it up. I might consider it still.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom