Apache 3800 Faux Pelican Case (Harbor Freight) - Now with photos! (2 Viewers)

I received my awesome new racks from @One Eyed Dollar last week and now I have a great setup for my somewhat over sized PGI 8V CC chips.

3D3P racks.jpg

These will do double duty both in my custom display case when it arrives in another week from @alecnetwoodworks and also my Apache 3800 as shown here:

Chip Case - Bottom.jpg

Chip Case - Top.jpg

Any thoughts on Apache vs. Versa cases?

Versa cases, at least the 500 chip case will probably survive the next nuclear holocaust. I have seriously considered using them for chip sets before I ended up with 600-800 chip sets.

Versa 1000s OTOH kinda suck. Apache cases are not the most durable things out there, I think a rival company had practically a bomb-proof warranty and this one doesn't, but what it does have is affordable storage that can weather the usual things that happen to chip cases.

My opinion is: if you're going to buy Versa, buy the 500s. If you can't make that work, go with an Apache 3800 or 4800.

Personally, I absolutely loathe pick n pluck foam. I also dislike the way racks rest together in the standard Apache arrangement. Also, those cases are pretty darn heavy on top of already heavy chips.

I move my chips around a lot throughout the house etc and care about durability and the Versa cases are plenty durable. They are solid.

I have several briefcase style Versas but I have moved my primary cash set over to to the new birdcage style Versa which I can also recommend if you like keeping your chips in racks.

Personally, I absolutely loathe pick n pluck foam. I also dislike the way racks rest together in the standard Apache arrangement. Also, those cases are pretty darn heavy on top of already heavy chips.

I move my chips around a lot throughout the house etc and care about durability and the Versa cases are plenty durable. They are solid.

I have several briefcase style Versas but I have moved my primary cash set over to to the new birdcage style Versa which I can also recommend if you like keeping your chips in racks.

I am yielding to you on the birdcages. I honestly only knew about the regular cases but now I gotta check those things out.

Versa cases are definitely sturdy enough for normal transportation but I'd go Apache for flying or if you were hardcore and bringing chips camping or something. Is there a reason you don't use birdcages instead of Versa for home storage? Do you have kids or something else in the house that makes it more dangerous for chips? :LOL: :laugh:

The pick and pluck issues can be solved with that coating spray (forget the name) that makes it one solid surface. That helps with indentations from the small surface area of the bottom of racks and gives a better overall look to the pick and pluck IMO.

Apache briefcases do suffer in that they require you to stack and hide half the chips (its not a display case in the least) and even with finger slots it's still just tricky enough to get the bottom racks out that it's a turnoff. What I have turned to however is Pelican laptop briefcases and the make your own foam insert websites. Top of the line protection, beautiful display layouts of your choosing, no need for racks or pick and pluck. A+++

I am yielding to you on the birdcages. I honestly only knew about the regular cases but now I gotta check those things out.

These have the durability of a Versa, lighter than an Apache, but allow you to store chips in racks like a standard birdcage. When this case recently launched people feared it would be too difficult to remove the bottom two racks so I made the video above to show how you remove and insert the racks.

These have the durability of a Versa, lighter than an Apache, but allow you to store chips in racks like a standard birdcage. When this case recently launched people feared it would be too difficult to remove the bottom two racks so I made the video above to show how you remove and insert the racks.

Do you know if those cases would hold 43's?

Versa cases are definitely sturdy enough for normal transportation but I'd go Apache for flying or if you were hardcore and bringing chips camping or something. Is there a reason you don't use birdcages instead of Versa for home storage? Do you have kids or something else in the house that makes it more dangerous for chips? :LOL: :laugh:

The pick and pluck issues can be solved with that coating spray (forget the name) that makes it one solid surface. That helps with indentations from the small surface area of the bottom of racks and gives a better overall look to the pick and pluck IMO.

Apache briefcases do suffer in that they require you to stack and hide half the chips (its not a display case in the least) and even with finger slots it's still just tricky enough to get the bottom racks out that it's a turnoff. What I have turned to however is Pelican laptop briefcases and the make your own foam insert websites. Top of the line protection, beautiful display layouts of your choosing, no need for racks or pick and pluck. A+++

I use Pelican cases professionally and may be biased because I honestly hate them for so many reasons. But yes, they are by far the most durable storage and transportation option. I do move my cases frequently around the house, but that’s it. So I don’t need that top tier level of durability.

Theoretically I feel birdcages are the most ideal solution IF the durability was there. I don’t use standard birdcages because I have had one break myself and seen one break at a friends house as well. It was a disaster and they weren’t even clay chips. I could potentially buy into extra heavy duty ones like Tchan was going order, but I can’t get on board with the standard duty ones. I do also like the fact that I can stack these Versa cases in a closet or storage shelves.

The spray crap is a partial solution but not absolute and I am slightly skeptical of that chemical. The better solution is designing and ordering those custom case inserts. I would recommend that over the spray and foam.

Few coats of Plasti dip rubberized paint will firm up the foam but still allow some give

I use Pelican cases professionally and may be biased because I honestly hate them for so many reasons. But yes, they are by far the most durable storage and transportation option. I do move my cases frequently around the house, but that’s it. So I don’t need that top tier level of durability.

Theoretically I feel birdcages are the most ideal solution IF the durability was there. I don’t use standard birdcages because I have had one break myself and seen one break at a friends house as well. It was a disaster and they weren’t even clay chips. I could potentially buy into extra heavy duty ones like Tchan was going order, but I can’t get on board with the standard duty ones. I do also like the fact that I can stack these Versa cases in a closet or storage shelves.

The spray crap is a partial solution but not absolute and I am slightly skeptical of that chemical. The better solution is designing and ordering those custom case inserts. I would recommend that over the spray and foam.
What was the cause of the birdcage breaks? I've banged my birdcages around a lot more than I'm proud to say (a lot :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:) and have had one or two small pieces of the casing chip but never anything where my chips were in danger of falling out.

What was the cause of the birdcage breaks? I've banged my birdcages around a lot more than I'm proud to say (a lot :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:) and have had one or two small pieces of the casing chip but never anything where my chips were in danger of falling out.

In both incidents the vertical segment detached (broke) from the horizontal base segment. I am sure there are better quality cases than the ones we had, but unless I can tell they are of significantly better quality I am unwilling to risk it. The cost would just be too high for my risk tolerance.

The Versa cases are the only sturdy, truly serious option when it comes to traditional aluminium cases, with no racks required for the chips. Pitty the (inevitably very heavy when full) 1,000ct version has no wheels.
Edit: And if you take out the middle space dividers (meant for card decks and dice :rolleyes: ), mostly with bare hands, from the 500ct version, you can host a total of 624 CPCs or 638-640 mint Paulsons:)

Pelican-type cases are a lot more protective (honestly, mostly overkill for poker chips). Not only are they shock-proof and dust-proof, they 're also waterproof and resistant in temperatures from -30C to 80C !
But you 're going to need racks for the chips (which many members here like anyway).
Among these, the faux-Pelican, like the Apache in North America or the B&W in Europe offer the best value for money.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I just got my 1000 chip set today and I'm not sure I want to deal with lugging that much weight around (even just around the house).

I was debating getting two Apache cases to split 500 and 500 or getting 2 Versa 500s or a Versa 1000 birdcage.

Few coats of Plasti dip rubberized paint will firm up the foam but still allow some give
I have not yet sprayed my newly assembled 3800 (pics above) with plasti-dip. I used my chips several times while on vacation last week and the pick and pull is starting to come apart. Should I glue it first? Is Elmers good enough glue? Also, will spraying them add much to the size? My racks fit really tight already. Will there still be enough give to get them in?

I have not yet sprayed my newly assembled 3800 (pics above) with plasti-dip. I used my chips several times while on vacation last week and the pick and pull is starting to come apart. Should I glue it first? Is Elmers good enough glue? Also, will spraying them add much to the size? My racks fit really tight already. Will there still be enough give to get them in?

I sprayed my top and bottom layers separate and about 6-7 coats on each. Haven't really looked at gluing them to make it one piece yet. As for the size, doesn't really add much as it soaks into the firm and then hardens a bit inside.

I literally just sprayed my Apache 3800 cases with Pasti Dip last week. No, it doesn’t add to the foam thickness. Some people glue the layers of foam together, but I kept them separate. I can always glue them later if I want.

I sprayed my top and bottom layers separate and about 6-7 coats on each. Haven't really looked at gluing them to make it one piece yet. As for the size, doesn't really add much as it soaks into the firm and then hardens a bit inside.

I think he means the pick and pluck where the bottom of the racks contact them coming apart not the bottom and side pieces.

I would glue it, can't hurt and even if the glue is visible before you spray, after you spray it'll be covered. As for adding size, it adds very minimal if at all but the foam is still cushiony and now one piece so it'll be easier to drop the racks in and not worry about pulling the foam apart by accident. You could also consider pulling out once more layer of pick and pluck if its really really snug already. Having that much more room in the case, width wise, won't cause the chips to fall out or have that much less protection however if you do, I'd pull from the top side near where the handle is (prob more likely to hit the ground on the other side).

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this video!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom