Another interesting hand in a $200/$400/$400 ante NLHE game (2 Viewers)

Windwalker

4 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Joined
Jul 2, 2020
Messages
5,880
Reaction score
52,913
Location
Los Angeles
Per @DrStrange's request, I'm moving this to its own thread. If you haven't read through the previous hand, do so here. Villain is the same.

----
I'm posting a follow-up hand from last night with the same Villain. He came back to the same game, after having had his sunrun last week. First, how we ended last week's game:

- Villain in for $100K, out for $375k
- Hero in for $300K, out for $310K
- Host in for $600k, out for $230K

20 minutes in, stack sizes are relatively even to start.
Hero SS - $200K, Villain SS $100K, Host SS $200K
$200/$400/$400 BB ante.

Our read on V is still as being very tight, although he's loosened up his attitude a bit, after the big win last week.
Host is LAG.

Hero is in the HJ, V is in middle position, Host is on the button.

Villain raises to $1800 from MP. Folds to Hero in the HJ.

Hero has :ad::5d:.

Hero?

@Chippy McChiperson said, "A5 sooted is a pretty good hand to 3-bet with to balance your 3-betting range, I’d make it 8k here."
@Frogzilla said, "Im 3 betting to 5500"
@Kain8 said, "a nice 3-bet to secure the button is in order. Anywhere from 3x to 6x of the initial raise, opting for higher on the scale given the last hand we saw this villain table."
@JMC9389 said, "I like a three bet to about 6 or 6.5 thousand"
@cgpilot said, "Here we are going to want to make all decisions through the lens of getting our money back from the villain. We plan to go big, eventually, but not yet as to cause concern. This hand is at the top of our revenge range."
 
Raise to 6 or 6.5 thousand.

This is a hand that can play well multiways but you'd want to avoid it if you can.
 
Continuing...

- Villain in for $100K, out for $375k
- Hero in for $300K, out for $310K
- Host in for $600k, out for $230K

20 minutes in, stack sizes are relatively even to start.
Hero SS - $200K, Villain SS $100K, Host SS $200K
$200/$400/$400 BB ante.

Our read on V is still as being very tight, although he's loosened up his attitude a bit, after the big win last week.
Host is LAG.

Hero is in the HJ, V is in middle position, Host is on the button.

Villain raises to $1800 from MP. Folds to Hero in the HJ.

Hero has :ad::5d:.

We love this hand, especially in late position. A5s can flop flushes, straights, straight draws, flushes and flush draws, and has blockers against V's c-bet range.

Hero 3-bets to $8500.

Host on button calls.
Villain calls.

Pot is now $26,500.

Flop is :9s::2h::5c:

Villain checks.

Hero?
 
About as uneventful as it gets.

Bet smallish. $8500 again sounds fine.
 
3 ways against two ranges that can be pocket pair heavy, and sandwiched between the opponents, I think a 25% bet or check. I'd be happier about betting if there was a diamond on the board or another wheel card. The SPR is only 3.5, so we don't have a ton of room to maneuver.
 
The SPR is just over 8. ~~$220K / $27K < vs the host >

Let's make a small c-bet, its a dry flop and the villains could easily be behind and ready to fold. I'd try $10K but anything of this nature should get the job done. Not at all interested in playing a big pot with second pair with no redraws.
 
Check. There are only two turn cards we enjoy seeing. I guess we could bet small, but that feels like setting money on fire.
 
Continuing...

- Villain in for $100K, out for $375k
- Hero in for $300K, out for $310K
- Host in for $600k, out for $230K

20 minutes in, stack sizes are relatively even to start.
Hero SS - $200K, Villain SS $100K, Host SS $200K
$200/$400/$400 BB ante.

Our read on V is still as being very tight, although he's loosened up his attitude a bit, after the big win last week.
Host is LAG.

Hero is in the HJ, V is in middle position, Host is on the button.

Villain raises to $1800 from MP. Folds to Hero in the HJ.

Hero has :ad::5d:.

We love this hand, especially in late position. A5s can flop flushes, straights, straight draws, flushes and flush draws, and has blockers against V's c-bet range.

Hero 3-bets to $8500.

Host on button calls.
Villain calls.

Pot is now $26,500.

Flop is :9s::2h::5c:

Villain checks.

This is quite the bleh flop for us. Host’s range is pretty wide here, especially because he’s on the button. Suited connectors, small pair, random offsuit broadway cards.

Continuing with our tight read on the villain, maybe a medium pocket pair, or AxKx / AxQx. 9s is definitely in his range.

We decide on a smallish C-bet to test the waters.

Hero bets $6500.

Button folds.

Villain drops into his now familiar long tank. He calls.

We notice he uses $500 chips instead of $1k chips. Not sure if that means anything. But it’s interesting.

Pot is now $39,500.

Turn is :9h:

Villain checks.

Hero?
 
Board was very dry and we got called. Bet was small and opponent in-between folded. So villain can call fairly wide. However, the 9 is basically a brick as neither of you are going to have many 9s. We are beating all the over card and back door hands. But against any of his pairs, we are going to have to fire twice more to get those to fold. And even that's not a guarantee. I'd generally be inclined to just check and try to realize my showdown value.

All you can really rep at this point is an overpair. Repping a boat won't make sense even with the 5 blocker because you presumably aren't going to be 3 betting 55 very often, or 22 for that matter.

If you think the guy is so tight that you can blow him off 77, 88, TT, JJ, then I guess you can go for it. But if that's the case, we could be 3 betting this guy pre with basically everything.
 
I like a check back as above and try to set up a river bluff if you get a card that you can pull one off on.
 
Based on the hand last week V probably has 89 or 9 10 sooted and you’re probably drawing dead.
If I were first to act I’d bet big here to try and now represent an over pair but since he checked I don’t want to get check raised so I’d check back and be prepared to reluctantly call any river bet under $25k.
 
Continuing...

- Villain in for $100K, out for $375k
- Hero in for $300K, out for $310K
- Host in for $600k, out for $230K

20 minutes in, stack sizes are relatively even to start.
Hero SS - $200K, Villain SS $100K, Host SS $200K
$200/$400/$400 BB ante.

Our read on V is still as being very tight, although he's loosened up his attitude a bit, after the big win last week.
Host is LAG.

Hero is in the HJ, V is in middle position, Host is on the button.

Villain raises to $1800 from MP. Folds to Hero in the HJ.

Hero has :ad::5d:.

We love this hand, especially in late position. A5s can flop flushes, straights, straight draws, flushes and flush draws, and has blockers against V's c-bet range.

Hero 3-bets to $8500.

Host on button calls.
Villain calls.

Pot is now $26,500.

Flop is :9s::2h::5c:

Villain checks.

This is quite the bleh flop for us. Host’s range is pretty wide here, especially because he’s on the button. Suited connectors, small pair, random offsuit broadway cards.

Continuing with our tight read on the villain, maybe a medium pocket pair, or AxKx / AxQx. 9s is definitely in his range.

We decide on a smallish C-bet to test the waters.

Hero bets $6500.

Button folds.

Villain drops into his now familiar long tank. He calls.

We notice he uses $500 chips instead of $1k chips. Not sure if that means anything. But it’s interesting.

Pot is now $39,500.

Turn is :9h:

Villain checks.

Hero?
I’ve noticed I’ll call bets with my least favorite chips when I’m not happy with the call lol. $1-$2 game raise to $10 I call w $10 singles etc. and a weak hand.

In a tourney maybe a raise to $400 and I’ll get rid of as many T25s as I can.
 
Having a hard time balancing all these

-We have range advantage (more argument to bet)
-His range that will fold to our bet includes gutters with two overs, two random overs, those have lots of equity (more argument to bet)
-Probably can’t call a check raise so that’ll fold out equity (argument to check)
-he’s got 9x advantage (argument to check)
-Have showdown value (argument to check back)

Really don’t know. Fine with either to be honest.

The tank then call, if honest, strikes me as a “do I check raise here” which could be a mix of one pair hands (88, T9s, A5s, etc) and gutters (67s, 78s) and air w/ backdoor (JTs, etc). Probably can reduce freq of some of his floats with Ax as those shouldn’t be a tank.
 
Decent card for us, but I’m not sure what worse hands are calling a turn bet. Suited middling hands that connect with the nine and are floating flop for another of their suit or a card to give them an OESD or something brick hard on the 9. Obviously a hopeful 2 over cards float isn’t calling a turn bet either.

Check back for me.
 
your A blocks a pretty good number of his floats - more likely he has a pair but now less likely he has a 9. i'd bet 1/2 pot if i think he can fold TT JJ otherwise i'm probably checking
 
Continuing...

- Villain in for $100K, out for $375k
- Hero in for $300K, out for $310K
- Host in for $600k, out for $230K

20 minutes in, stack sizes are relatively even to start.
Hero SS - $200K, Villain SS $100K, Host SS $200K
$200/$400/$400 BB ante.

Our read on V is still as being very tight, although he's loosened up his attitude a bit, after the big win last week.
Host is LAG.

Hero is in the HJ, V is in middle position, Host is on the button.

Villain raises to $1800 from MP. Folds to Hero in the HJ.

Hero has :ad::5d:.

We love this hand, especially in late position. A5s can flop flushes, straights, straight draws, flushes and flush draws, and has blockers against V's c-bet range.

Hero 3-bets to $8500.

Host on button calls.
Villain calls.

Pot is now $26,500.

Flop is :9s::2h::5c:

Villain checks.

This is quite the bleh flop for us. Host’s range is pretty wide here, especially because he’s on the button. Suited connectors, small pair, random offsuit broadway cards.

Continuing with our tight read on the villain, maybe a medium pocket pair, or AxKx / AxQx. 9s is definitely in his range.

We decide on a smallish C-bet to test the waters.

Hero bets $6500.

Button folds.

Villain drops into his now familiar long tank. He calls.

We notice he uses $500 chips instead of $1k chips. Not sure if that means anything. But it’s interesting.

Pot is now $39,500.

Turn is :9h:

Villain checks.

---
Admittedly, we are still a bit shellshocked from last week's SF over SF loss to this Villain, and we're looking for revenge. We tank for a bit. What do we know?

- Not likely that he has a 9, although 99, 98s, 910s is possible.
- AxKx / AxQx is a definite possibility, which means a bet would induce a fold (unless maybe if he has AhKh or AhQh). If he does have overcards, a check just gives him a free card to pick up a better 2 pair than us.
- That said, he's ahead of us quite a bit here, with maybe 7s, 8s, 910s. Same hand (A5s) also crosses our mind.

Hero bets $17,500.

Villain thinks for a little bit, and calls. Pot is now $74,500.

River is the :5h:.

Board is now :9s::2h::5c::9h::5h:

Villain take a bit, and checks.

Hero?
 
If he has 95o, we officially stop labeling him as tight. *misread the board disregard*

If he has pocket 9s, we officially stop sitting with this player.

Betting, but what are we going to get called by? AK/Qh? Pocket 2s waiting to checkraise on the river like an idiot?

I cant even bring myself to type a bet amount because these are downpayment numbers, not poker numbers.
 
Last edited:
BING BONG

My first instinct was to check here and induce a bet since you’ve taken a strong line thus far and this brings in boats and (more importantly) flushes and makes an overpair seemingly comparatively stronger.

I probably check 40% of the time if I think I can induce a bet that way and bet about half the villain’s stack ($34K?) the remaining 60% of the time.
 
Hoping villain has a gunshy JJ or TT. I think we can get villain to call with TT here (or maybe even AK when the board double pairs).
 
BING BONG

My first instinct was to check here and induce a bet since you’ve taken a strong line thus far and this brings in boats and (more importantly) flushes and makes an overpair seemingly comparatively stronger.

I probably check 40% of the time if I think I can induce a bet that way and bet about half the villain’s stack ($34K?) the remaining 60% of the time.
hero has position, gotta figure out how to close the action.
 
BING BONG

My first instinct was to check here and induce a bet since you’ve taken a strong line thus far and this brings in boats and (more importantly) flushes and makes an overpair seemingly comparatively stronger.

I probably check 40% of the time if I think I can induce a bet that way and bet about half the villain’s stack ($34K?) the remaining 60% of the time.
Can't check to induce, I close the action, he's already acted.
 
I think there is a better chance that he is stringing us along with a monster than his having a mediocre hand we beat that he will call again with. Pushing him off a better hand than ours isn't going to happen. I'm fine with a check.
I cant even bring myself to type a bet amount because these are downpayment numbers, not poker numbers.
Just divide everything by $1000 lol.
 
I doubt you're getting called by a middle pocket pair now that any 9 or 5 makes a boat AND the backdoor flush came in.

Check back to win a decent sized pot.

If this villain does turn over a 9 in any way:

im-declaring-shenanigans-on-you-kyle-broflovski.gif
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom