Age 45 to 55 - 401K retirement goals and status (1 Viewer)

Between ages 45 - 55, How much money do you already have saved for retirement

• $100,000 or less

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • $200,000 < $300,000

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • $300,000 < $400,000

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • $500,000 < $700,000

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • > $700,000

Votes: 24 42.9%

• Total voters

joseywales

Straight
Reaction score
Retirement goals are very subjective. It's mostly about what you expect your standard of living to be, what your hobbies will be, travel habits, health, etc., etc. The list goes on. I have a pretty good bead on that, but after speaking with a few advisors, it's clear that NONE of them want to provide a guesstimate, at all.

So the poll is anonymous and I'm curious. Between the ages of 45-55, what do you have, right now, saved for retirement?
If you want to also post your goal, that's fine too. I'm not convinced $1M would be enough to live on for 20 years, but again that depends on lifestyle, geography, etc., etc.

Not in that age range (35-39 here), but my goal is to retire at 60 with a combined IRA/401k with the wife of over $2M. Most of the calculators suggest I am on track, but who knows because the market could dive at any time.

In regards to living on the investment - as long as you don't take more than a few % of what you return every year, the savings should last. But that too is dependent on the investment strategies. Worst case scenario is there will be Social Security, Right????

Heh, 36 here.. but I already know I don't have enough... Not nearly enough.

It's funny, but this is the most important thing to plan ahead for yet it's alarming at how few people do.

Forgot to get eggs at the store? Turn around and go back and get them.
Forgot about that Dr appointment? Reschedule it.
Forget to plan for your retirement? Now that your 62 you can't go back and resave, you can't reschedule, it's here and you have to live with it.

Anything at any age is better than ignoring it.

I retired (for the most part ) at 40. We were lucky and also "worked hard". Let's be clear - the hard work that pays off the best is what you do between 14 and 24. If you laugh off your high school and college years and work your ass off the next 45 years, you will normally retire poorly. We got paid so well during our working years because we learned highly marketable skills in college. It is possible to overcome a poor start in life but it is not so easy to do - most people don't. In my experience, there are not very many lazy people but there are vast numbers of people who got off to a slow start with their education and never had good enough skills to get paid well for their life time of hard work.

A million bucks might earn 4% / yr after taxes and adjusting for inflation or $40,000 per year - I would call that optimistic but not crazy. If you want to take the risk that you would live longer than 20 years you could draw down on the million itself. Let's just call it $5,000 / month. If you own your home outright and don't have other cash drains, that seems like enough to get by.

Please don't ignore the effects of inflation. The USA and much of the rest of the world is in the midst of a remarkable run of low inflation, "only" 2% / yr. But even that low rate means your million bucks today is worth $670,000 in twenty years. In other terms - you need to leave an extra $20,000 behind this year to keep your $1,000,000 whole.

One last note - at item on the legislative table that got cut in 2017 was a proposal to renege on the tax treatment of retirement accounts. Just the idea that congress considered changing the rules of the game after 40 years of self funded retirement accounts is shocking and alarming. There once were provisions for excise taxes on retirement accounts grown "too large", do not be too shocked to see something like that again. (and considering the ways wealthy folks can abuse retirement accounts, it wouldn't be all that unreasonable if the definition of "too large" were set high enough. )

Currently on track as long as we both stay employed and healthy until our planned retirement age. That’s a big if, but a risk we have no control over. I fret about that.

I'm saving my butt off and looking ok.

When all the tax discussions were going on, I was fine with losing my SALT and mortgage deductions, but grabbed my pitchfork when they looked sideways at my 401k.

Does chip collection count? If so, I am in at at least $10,000 saved!!

Kidding aside...I am WAY behind in saving!

The truth is, yes, some hobby items can be considered savings - part of net worth, part of your portfolio If chip value remains steady, or increases, I'd say count it. Some items, can drop, such as, I believe, model trains. I think that market is dropping and I don't see the future generations having much interest in those items, or even items from their childhood. They just don't seem like they'll care about those items, when they have discretionary income in their 40s and 50s. But I'm no expert.

part of my posting this, was to bring awareness as well. Folks don't often think about retirement costs and it's different for everyone.

Too many folks marry young, as opposed to working harder. Our society almost drives them to that. Nothing at all wrong with marriage, but you have to find the right partner, best if that's the FIRST time around. I hate that the word partner, or lift partner, is now a lesbian, gay, etc., term. The fact is, every spouse should be a partner, or things won't work out well, even if you don't divorce. partners are usually on the same page. They challenge, but support each other, etc. Pick the right partner in marriage and rich or poor, things will work out.

Retire? HA! Who can afford that! No sir, I don't intend to spend my elder years infirm and eating cat food, I plan to go out with a bang and take a whole buncha mutha**** with me!

carboat.gif

Wife retired...she's having lots of fun traveling with friends - without me!

I'm almost 55. Worked/saved hard my entire career. Have enough saved that I can retire anytime (...my "I don't give-a-shit switch" has officially been switched ON) but, have a goal to pay off the house before retiring. House will be paid off in less than two years.

Last edited:
so, I am 44 and just starting. had a major life event not that far back which required a full withdraw. having a non-working wife for years and 3 young kids, there wasn't time to save.

that, and this darn house we are stuck in which has sucked me absolutely dry. Long Story...

If you are in personal finance and can offer some "free" financial advice, I would love to speak..

The poll, or it's results are a bit misleading. What you need for retirement varies on multiple factors. An incomplete list:
  • How long do you intend to live? If you are fit, parents/grandparents living into their 90s you need more tucked away than the overweight person whose parents passed in their 60s.
  • Standard of living: If you've living on a $50,000 salary, you need far less than the person that says "I'm not rich" but spends over $150,000 a year, and still socks money away.
  • Options: People break down when they get old. Who is going to help you out? Kids are much cheaper than an assisted living center.
  • Kids. 2 edged sword here. They can help you out, but you might want to leave them, or your grandkids a little something when you pass, so you need to save for them. If you are like me and have no kids, you have no worries about being felted at death. Reverse mortgages are the no-inheritor's friend.
Finally, @DrStrange nailed it with the inflation. Personally, I don't think $1,000,000 is livable for 20 years. Medical costs go up far more than any other item in the Consumer Price Index. As you get older, medical costs become a much bigger piece of your expenditure pie, so that high rate of inflation is compounded.

My current plan is to retire at age 64, provided I'm still fit enough to keep fighting fires at that advanced age. At that time, I will have a projected $1,921,904 (yep, I'm a spreadsheet geek that likes everything very to be well calculated). That amount should carry me along to my death (life expectancy: 76 years), and carry Mrs Zombie well into her 80s.

Yeah, retirement planning can't be done without looking at your expected life-span. Some call it morbid. I call it practical.

If you are having a hard time saving now, there are always late-life options that you can start practicing for now. Find a nice slab of concrete and stand on it for 6 hours. Every 5 minutes, say "Welcome to Wal-Mart".

I'll bet "retirement savings" moves way up your list of things that are important.

so, I am 44 and just starting. had a major life event not that far back which required a full withdraw. having a non-working wife for years and 3 young kids, there wasn't time to save.

that, and this darn house we are stuck in which has sucked me absolutely dry. Long Story...

If you are in personal finance and can offer some "free" financial advice, I would love to speak..
Free generic advice:
1. If you have a 401k/403b match from your employer, contribute whatever you need to get the full match. No matter what.
2. Then, pay down your expensive debt (credit cards, etc)

Those two apply the vast majority of the time, after that it gets more individually specific, but usually:

3. If you have no expensive debt, contribute more to either your 401k/403b or an IRA/Roth account.
4. If you max your tax deferred savings, either pay down moderately expensive debt (mortgage) or setup a brokerage account and invest there.

Watch the fees you pay closely.
Invest mostly in equities

Not sure what @Poker Zombie means by misleading. The results are the results. It doesn’t state or ask what people should save. Simply, what do you have.

@krafticus , good advice to contribute everything you can to get a match. Not a bad idea to contribute more, but make sure you don’t hit the max before December. Here’s why:

A coworker of mine said she was contributed over the annual $23,000, so the company stopped withholding in November. She was happy she hit the legal limit. However, because she hit the limit in November, she missed out on two of the company's matching 5% deductions. She left money on the table. Not an issue for a slot of folks, but if it go full tilt in contributing, you could run into this.

I had a solid plan and put a chunk away for a good while but life gets complicated. The reality is every plan can go up in smoke quickly. The stability of the 20th century is long gone. All the financial safe guards are eroding politically, on regulation, on infrastructure and of course climate change. Our world is going to to be much more different place 20 years from now then the amount it has changed from 20 years ago. Save and plan but get ready to change plans on the fly. And cat food. We should all get used to cat food.

Not sure what @Poker Zombie means by misleading.

One could look at the results and say "The vast majority have saved over $700,000". That should be my goal.

However, those people may need more money than you. They may be more likely to live longer or may have higher spending habits. We really don't know what motivates people to hoard money. It's definitely not as nice looking as poker chips, but plenty of people die with a lot left in their bank accounts.

Also, nobody picked $450,000. I wonder why that is... :whistle: :whistling:

Between ages 45 - 55, How much money do you already have saved for retirement
  1. $100,000 or less
  2. $200,000 < $300,000
  3. $300,000 < $400,000
  4. $500,000 < $700,000
  5. > $700,000

I'm 35, she's 33 [and been married for 11 years...zomgmarriedsoyoung] and we both started contributing to our retirement funds right out of college in 2006/2007 and have since started putting money toward other investments. My company also offers an ESPP which seems like a good thing. We have zero debt, just the mortgage (hope to have it paid off in 10ish years). I hope to retire at 55, she repeatedly says she's fine working until 65+ (hey, those country club dues aren't gonna pay themselves...). We seem to be in a good spot at this point...but we realize we've got a long-ish way to go and things can change.

Currently 45. Can retire with pension at 50 (with some penalty), so I plan to retire at 52 with zero penalty. I will get a pension of 60-70% of my current salary, and we have several tax deferred retirement accounts (and a few brokerage accounts). I also will continue to work part time teaching and playing poker in retirement. My wife will likely work until she is 60.

We are not rich. We live within our means, save/invest when we can, and we don’t live paycheck to paycheck.

The poll, or it's results are a bit misleading. What you need for retirement varies on multiple factors......

Both me and my wife retired last year, which was the year I turned 55. That was important because I could access my 401k with no penalty, leaving me and my wife's pensions for later (we took lump sum) and my wife's 401k until she turns 59.5.
After I announced my retirement I had literally dozens of coworkers call me up or come by for advice. They had all worked about the same number of years as me , 25-30, had all the same programs, bonus options, medical plans, etc.... but it was surprising how different everyone's situation was.

I've also helped others recover from bankruptcy or other seemingly dire situations. It's one of the reasons I kinda hate Dave Ramsey. His program, while sound (pay off debt, don't spend more than you earn) treats everyone equally, and we are not all equals. Real financial help requires personal attention, not blanket statements or one-size-fits-all solutions.

Then what do I know? I'm working in a firehouse right now. Out my window I can see a ~44,000 sq ft (not counting the 2 garages) house. Dave Ramsey lives inside.

Here’s an interesting question in my mind. How much money would you want to retire early, say 45-50ish early?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom