About 18 months into the Hobby... 45k plus in chips... do we have a problem? (6 Viewers)

I've made some AMAZING Friends here!! You 2 are high up on that list! I enjoy out laughing stints talking on the telephone for hours at a time!
Thanks for all the "Props" you give which are unnecessary to say the least. In fact you should stop doing that as there are some around that are "Not a fan" of 'ol RD! :LOL: :laugh: , ahhh all kidding aside @Ben8257 I count myself lucky to call you friend! See you in the Mountains!

We‘ll revisit this at the Divide. Hell, I didn’t used to like winged sprint cars.
The general philosophy of many of the veterans chippers is that you have options to swap in and out different chips to keep the set fresh and changing. I like that philosophy, I feel like this one is pretty set, but also "not trully a mixed set" as others have pointed out. So not that I would ever let go of the Nugget $25s, but another 4d14 NV option would be pretty cool to add to the collection. Definitely finding myself "open minded" to the mix and match kind of a set!

I've made some AMAZING Friends here!! You 2 are high up on that list! I enjoy out laughing stints talking on the telephone for hours at a time!
Thanks for all the "Props" you give which are unnecessary to say the least. In fact you should stop doing that as there are some around that are "Not a fan" of 'ol RD! :LOL: :laugh: , ahhh all kidding aside @Ben8257 I count myself lucky to call you friend! See you in the Mountains!
Some personalities will always clash brother! If people choose to let that get in the way of a potential friendship... well that is there choice.

Sorry brother but with your help 2022 was an amazing year in chipping for @FordPickup92 and myself! Seriously thank you for the all you do for the community Danny!

Wanted to follow up on the "Red Denom" set. Still can't believe we built a set of THCs in 2022 which seems all but impossible anymore. Earlier this year I posted pictures of the start of the set
View attachment 1033626
But man OCD is a Bi*ch! That partial rack!! Uggh!

Well through some trading the only other member with a significant quantity finally decided to let go of his years of serching and efforts to build a rack, I know what goes into these efforts and I don't take it lightly when someone gives in to help another member of this amazing forum. Josh @flipupchipup seriously thank you so very much brother!! Also to @juankay20 again who spent a long time putting the first rack of these together and was working on the second when he selflessly understoodwhat they would mean to our set.

Also @RivieraDanny found an online auction from Carrol Shelbys private chip collection, what's the dang chances that he had another rack of what I though was "one of a kind" in our Tahoe Biltmore Colon Orange quarters. He purchased the rack knowing I would love them, set them to the side and said "when you have the funds they are waiting for you at cost!"

Again Brie and I are very grateful for the help, cleaned and oiled and finally ready to show!
View attachment 1033637
Not going to call it "finished" at this point I hope to maybe make it playable for two tables, technically it can but a few more wouldn't hurt! Lol

Once in a while it's fun to change things up and play different stakes and such. I had most of a rack of Nevada Landing Purple $.50 fracs, by chance I found a few sellers on eBay that had enough to finish up the rack!

Also being a "Red denom" set a good friend Tom @ReallyGoodUsername listed a rack of the beautiful (and highly underrated) Happy Knight $10s, while obviously not using them at the same time as the $25s, the red spots match perfectly! So on a low stakes kind of night (possibly this evening) I think they make a fantastic addition to the set!
View attachment 1033647
View attachment 1033648
Not so bright and flashy like many sets here in our amazing hobby, but the retro vibe and old school Nevada awesomeness, plus my obsession with 414 spots on a Maryland color (work horse) $5, the simplicity and rarity of the 214 Silver Clu $1s.

This has easily become one of my absolute favorite sets and generally not even a fan of mixed sets.
Love those blues! And the Happy Knights fit pretty nicely in the lineup. I had a rack once but never found a use for them.

You’ll need to update the name of this thread. Must be over 200k in chips by now :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Not even close brother! We really don't keep a close track on the #s but somewhere in the 80k range I believe.

We keep saying someday if we ever get "snowed in" (hasn't happened in years) that we are going to move all the furniture out of a room and take some proper family photos, at this point the idea of covering tables with chips will not work! Lol

On a side note, and I just shared this opinion with another user here today, building a rack of chips by the single is a feat to be admired, especially the rarer ones. The problem, as we discussed many times, is that when you build a rack that way, like lets say my Rivi $5's that someone may or may not have in quantity is that the value you put on the effort and moreso the money you have in them sets the price in you're mind if you try to sell later.

There's nothing worse than looking at a rack and thinking, "Damn I have $5000 in that rack, I should sell it, as the rest of the set is unobtanium and I give up"! trust me, your going to have a problem selling your rack. I ran into just this trying to finish the Granny $100's, but had the patience to wait it out and finished the rack and then some! there was a couple HIGH DOLLAR offers that were tempting to me but no way Jose, now, with me for sure anyway, you'll never move those chips at that price.

So my advice to any chipper is, yes build it out per chip! at any price you're comfortable with, IF IT'S IN YOUR LIFETIME KEEP PILE! Counting on moving it will not turn out the way you think and its value is, well, yea

I won't even go into the soooooo many other practices like the few that buy up things knowing that someone else is on it simply to incite a trade or sale at profit or simply hoard things that don't even fit in anywhere just to say you own it! That's a thread all its own and would probably end up a shitshow dumpster fire!!

The general philosophy of many of the veterans chippers is that you have options to swap in and out different chips to keep the set fresh and changing. I like that philosophy, I feel like this one is pretty set, but also "not trully a mixed set" as others have pointed out. So not that I would ever let go of the Nugget $25s, but another 4d14 NV option would be pretty cool to add to the collection. Definitely finding myself "open minded" to the mix and match kind of a set!
What he said. :unsure: 4d14 R2D2 C-3PO NV Option.
1670082479322.gif

On a side note, and I just shared this opinion with another user here today, building a rack of chips by the single is a feat to be admired, especially the rarer ones. The problem, as we discussed many times, is that when you build a rack that way, like lets say my Rivi $5's that someone may or may not have in quantity is that the value you put on the effort and moreso the money you have in them sets the price in you're mind if you try to sell later.

There's nothing worse than looking at a rack and thinking, "Damn I have $5000 in that rack, I should sell it, as the rest of the set is unobtanium and I give up"! trust me, your going to have a problem selling your rack. I ran into just this trying to finish the Granny $100's, but had the patience to wait it out and finished the rack and then some! there was a couple HIGH DOLLAR offers that were tempting to me but no way Jose, now, with me for sure anyway, you'll never move those chips at that price.

So my advice to any chipper is, yes build it out per chip! at any price you're comfortable with, IF IT'S IN YOUR LIFETIME KEEP PILE! Counting on moving it will not turn out the way you think and its value is, well, yea

I won't even go into the soooooo many other practices like the few that buy up things knowing that someone else is on it simply to incite a trade or sale at profit or simply hoard things that don't even fit in anywhere just to say you own it! That's a thread all its own and would probably end up a shitshow dumpster fire!!
You are right about building racks, chip by chip. I've been doing that forever on all kinds of racks. And I came to the conclusion early on that I would probably never get my money back, trying to sell as a full rack. That's why I don't keep track of how much money goes into the rack. It would be too painful, the only thing I can do is NOT SELL :p

You are right about building racks, chip by chip. I've been doing that forever on all kinds of racks. And I came to the conclusion early on that I would probably never get my money back, trying to sell as a full rack. That's why I don't keep track of how much money goes into the rack. It would be too painful, the only thing I can do is NOT SELL :p
but I bought that Riviera rack of 2's , back in the day , probably for 250 I think

but I bought that Riviera rack of 2's , back in the day , probably for 250 I think
Please don't go getting him all worked up Frank, have you seen how Red Bald Itlaians can get? It's like a steaming locomotive... not a pretty sight at all!

You obviously meant to say you spent $2k for a rack of Rivy $2s! Lmao

To me, it’s one of the best ways to go about this hobby - it keeps you busy. You just have to write off the costs of shipping.
And seriously, if I’m lucky enough to find one chip a week, yeah I’m writing off $5 a week. You could throw a lot more money away (that is unrecoverable) on other hobbies. Is it worth $5 a week to find something awesome in your mailbox each week? Hell yes!!

Wanted to follow up on the "Red Denom" set. Still can't believe we built a set of THCs in 2022 which seems all but impossible anymore. Earlier this year I posted pictures of the start of the set
View attachment 1033626
But man OCD is a Bi*ch! That partial rack!! Uggh!

Well through some trading the only other member with a significant quantity finally decided to let go of his years of serching and efforts to build a rack, I know what goes into these efforts and I don't take it lightly when someone gives in to help another member of this amazing forum. Josh @flipupchipup seriously thank you so very much brother!! Also to @juankay20 again who spent a long time putting the first rack of these together and was working on the second when he selflessly understoodwhat they would mean to our set.

Also @RivieraDanny found an online auction from Carrol Shelbys private chip collection, what's the dang chances that he had another rack of what I though was "one of a kind" in our Tahoe Biltmore Colon Orange quarters. He purchased the rack knowing I would love them, set them to the side and said "when you have the funds they are waiting for you at cost!"

Again Brie and I are very grateful for the help, cleaned and oiled and finally ready to show!
View attachment 1033637
Not going to call it "finished" at this point I hope to maybe make it playable for two tables, technically it can but a few more wouldn't hurt! Lol

Once in a while it's fun to change things up and play different stakes and such. I had most of a rack of Nevada Landing Purple $.50 fracs, by chance I found a few sellers on eBay that had enough to finish up the rack!

Also being a "Red denom" set a good friend Tom @ReallyGoodUsername listed a rack of the beautiful (and highly underrated) Happy Knight $10s, while obviously not using them at the same time as the $25s, the red spots match perfectly! So on a low stakes kind of night (possibly this evening) I think they make a fantastic addition to the set!
View attachment 1033647
View attachment 1033648
Not so bright and flashy like many sets here in our amazing hobby, but the retro vibe and old school Nevada awesomeness, plus my obsession with 414 spots on a Maryland color (work horse) $5, the simplicity and rarity of the 214 Silver Clu $1s.

This has easily become one of my absolute favorite sets and generally not even a fan of mixed sets.
Dibs

To me, it’s one of the best ways to go about this hobby - it keeps you busy. You just have to write off the costs of shipping.
And seriously, if I’m lucky enough to find one chip a week, yeah I’m writing off $5 a week. You could throw a lot more money away (that is unrecoverable) on other hobbies. Is it worth $5 a week to find something awesome in your mailbox each week? Hell yes!!
This is a purely North American luxury. Enjoy.

Fair point, I can buy singles on eBay almost affordable. It’s a bit of a privilege that I take for granted. But you live in the Mediterranean. Want to trade?
Living in the Mediterranean means you have to fight and die against Turkey. The bully of the neighbourhood.
I have said good-bye to my parents back in January 1996. It's been a harsh experience. Thankfullly, I didn't have to fight in a war (by a small margin).

Many of the projects I'm currently working on are going to take a long time to finish. I probably won't be able to find them in quantity to "finalize" the set like that, but I'm more than willing to go for a ride. If it takes more than a year, probably longer, to finish a few of these sets then what can I do. It'll make them that much more fun to play with, show off and talk about once I finish them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom