About 18 months into the Hobby... 45k plus in chips... do we have a problem? (5 Viewers)

Wow, simply amazing, in 18 months, (but two chipper brains :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:, incredible collection you have. People hear about my collection, but that was done over , well coming up on 15 years next june, so a lot of new people to the hobby make me look casual :D A beautiful collection for sure, and hope to play cards with you some day . Tell me about your Santa Ysabel set and your frac choice. I am still searching for a frac and hundred .
Thanks Ovo... so when I saw the Santa Yasbel $1 chip I was hooked!! Sucked the undos didn’t exist but its not un common not to have a frac! We attended a meet up early this year at the legend @MegaTon44 compound!! Honest to god one of the nicest people you will ever want to meet!!

His set up is out of this world... I am pretty sure they based the size on an NFL football field off of his basement!! LOL Well the way he works it is, PCF circus games and fun early. Then the locals show up!! 4 tables with dedicated dealers... it was amazing. No I don’t have the space or clientele for such an event... but loved the idea!! I thought well maybe I can build a cash set to cover that game... at least feel like we are part of it down the road.

Also the chips are in good enough condition that they will be troopers for yeas to come... kind of a go to set for us also... Well In Maryland most of our games are $.25/$.50... i was thinking of going with a red frac (Aransas queens $5)... but many advised with the brown $5 it was not advised... we thought about the gray GReen Valley Ranch chips. Which honestly I think with the small matching edge spots are a fantastic option also... but I needed a bunch!! The set now is built to cover 3 tables. I like about 120 quarters per table.. not necessary but I always hate change making.

When we bought the Ash St.$1 chips which are THC, we also had the option to buy all of the Ash ST. $2 chips (400) but RHCs... a newer inlay on some, older on the others... a terrible mix but Brie wanted them. She didn’t know why but she had to have them.

Yes as far as edgespot progression it is a step in the wrong direction but we had 400 of them.. the colors match the pastel palette of the set... I like the pink frac in the line up with th purple edge spots just compliment it well in my opinion... ohh did I mention we had plenty to cover the set which weighed heavily on the decision.

I think there are plenty of options out there.. this one just worked for our set.

I actually think I am going to go with a plaque for the $100 in this set. I love plaques, the locals love plaques. I personally tried several different options for a RHC hundreds and haven’t found anything that really jumps out at me yet. So why not go with something fun on the top end!!

Let me know if you come up with anything for your set buddy!!

Ben

Allow me a short thread-jacking, 'cause I feel this is the only opportunity I 'll ever have posting in public custom-labelled plastic slugged crap and still get some sympathy :)
I didn't throw them away, out of nostalgia (served me for around 2 decades) and appreciation to my liver (many of them came with bourbon bottles):D
Still, I custom-labelled most of them for "rural travel" use.
View attachment 570842View attachment 570843View attachment 570844View attachment 570846
:whistle: :whistling:
My thread brother!! Post away!! That’s still cool man! I wouldn’t sell them either!! What are you going to get back? The value of the labels? Screw that, its an awesome conversation piece. And again when the family is over and nobody cares about chips, they are just as good as anything else!!

I disagree. A couple of AA batteries saves me having to put a shift in after a long day at work :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Post that in the Politics section and you 're going to be mutually ignored with at least a dozen Puritan members :D
Unless you could switch down to KK batteries:p

I don't know if I would qualify it as a "problem" because i myself have been a hoarder of money for decades and I can never seam to accumulate too much :cautious:

Although not particularly liquid, (some) chips are a store of value (I prefer gold myself ;)) so you still have assets for the balance sheet (i.e. you're much better off being addicted to chipping then to let's say, heroin :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:).

In case you are nostalgic for some of that "money" I might be talked into these (see my Wanted)

1604946268579.png

As a reminder, money doesn't weigh very much, takes up very little space, folds nicely and is widely accepted. :tup:

Thanks. :LOL: :laugh::sneaky:

Last edited:
Wow. I thought I was a baller when I hit the 10k mark. You at 45k and @Windwalker at 146k! I guess I just have to keep buying!!

So what lessons learned would you share about chipping?

Or is it just "Buy first, decide later."? ;)
I don’t think this answer will ever be the same for 2 people... buy what you like man!

I am not a huge fan of mixed sets... not my thing. But many on this forum buy and sell random racks constantly trying to make the perfect mixed set. A few are out of this world!! @AfterTheFact has a set with Claim Stake $5s that is to die for... but my OCD drives me to keep everything matching. I don’t have any random rack sitting around to buy/sell/trade because I am looking for specific chips that fit into the sets I have...

Lacking artistic flavor? Maybe... but I love custom CPCs, my hot stamp set is outlay mixed, high many out there are.. again just not really interested in mixing racks and trying to build sets like many do here... Now Brie absolutely loves buying racks and trying to build mixed sets... she will relabel eventually, but she gets a ton of enjoyment from the build!

Another thing I have definitely learned is that it all comes in waves... For months you won’t find a single 05 CDI chip... none to be found I don’t care how much you want them top pop up... checking classifieds and eBay 400 times a day... for the record these are the most produced home Paulson chip ever made... not just that I love them but the reason for this example!! So don’t stres... don’t pay out the ass and get raped over finishing your set... if its your only one, than understandable but if it is a secondary set... be patient! They will swing around again.

TRKs get love and hate all the time.. some times months go by with no chips to be found. Recently boom everyone wants them, members that have been on here for years desperately trying to get into that game.. again probably paying more than they should! Let the spot light move on to something else... just like what happened with the JACKS chips. They will come around again and hopefully find their way back into the reasonable market.

Avoid the next flashy thing!! This is one I stress the ost to new chippers! That spot light on isle three.. avoid it like the plague!! Let everyone else pay crazy over market values for chips because they have t get them on the felt next Friday!! The new will wear off... the prices will come back down.

Do your homework!! There are soo many members that new listings many times sell in seconds, you want to throw that dibs out there and grab it... but the thing is did you pay a good price?? Ohh let e go back to past listings and find out... oops too late!! I pride myself in my mental investment into this hobby. Brie and I both can usually tell you in the ball park of what chips should cost and why. If you know ahead of time it will help you make that snap decision much easier!!

Attend meet ups!! This forum s absolutely filled with some of the most amazing people in the world! The kindness and devotion of time to help others is amazing... we can all have a laugh behind the keyboards, but get out there and put a name to the face... splash some pots with seasoned chipping veterans! Not only will it probably be the most fun you have had in a while... the vast knowledge in that room came at those members own precious time!! If you become friends thy will be more willing to share than knowledge, help you find rare chips that they may know where they are hiding and have the influence to pry them loose. Also a meet up full of forum members will be the most organized well run game you will ever see! The joy of sitting at a table with 9 others that already know the rules and everything that is going on is soo worth it, even if just to experience it!!

I could go on and on... Brie and I are part of PCF now... this is our life!! Sad... I don’t really care your opinions!

Now when we plan vacations we want them based around traveling meet ups! I said this when I joined when I give something my attentionI go all the way... I can hardly remeber life before this forum... other than I could at least by and sandwich if I wanted one!

I have said it a thousand times but Thank You @Tommy and the Moderators that keep this site running. I appreciate everything you guys do! Day in and Day out!! It would be an honor to one day join the team as all that Brie and I ever do is try to give back to the community that has done so much for us!!

Sorry another Ben book.. but hey... this Time it’s my own thread!! Lol

Mission statement complete!!

Fellow Chipper Ben

I bought some crap early on, holy shit. It’s like looking at your dad’s 70s wardrobe and cringing.
Your scraps are my treasures Krish!! You are doing amazing buddy!! I was hoping maybe this one would pass you by... was afraid you would die laughing at our collection. They aren’t top end I know..(other than Bries chips) but they work for us and we love them!!

Your scraps are my treasures Krish!! You are doing amazing buddy!! I was hoping maybe this one would pass you by... was afraid you would die laughing at our collection. They aren’t top end I know..(other than Bries chips) but they work for us and we love them!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Ben. Everyone has different tastes. There’s chips that I love that give folk the dry heaves and vice versa. So you should be proud of your collection. It’s some achievement for such a short time.
Keep on chipping :tup:

Well, now I see what the problem is. You need more tables, lol.
We have 4 now man! I am planning on contacting a local table maker in the near future for number 5! I mean we can only fit 3 of them set up in the house... and this is only after throwing all of the furniature outside... but who is counting!! The collection would probably fit on 4 but it would be all over the damn house!! Lol

Again see post number 3! We will bring the party to you!! Haha

I just find it awesome that you have somebody you love to share this hobby with. I'm not sure many others are this fortunate. Great collection you two :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Ben. Everyone has different tastes. There’s chips that I love that give folk the dry heaves and vice versa. So you should be proud of your collection. It’s some achievement for such a short time.
Keep on chipping :tup:
We love our chips Tony... I am a construction worker man... I don’t care! Everywhere we take them we get compliments! If we ever find our selves at the table with @BGinGA, @k9dr, @inca911, @RainmanTrail... then i assure you they all have much better quality chips that will be in play. AND we will look forward to the oppritunity to share that felt time...

But for 90 plus percent on this forum.. and I would say 95% of regular home poker players, our collection works just fine!!

I am Blue Collar and never claimed to be anything else!! But you always want one fat poor drunk dude at the table... they are almost always the funny ones!!

On the Tourney side...
View attachment 570721
Still building and has grown since then!
View attachment 570722
View attachment 570723
This one is up to 500 now.
View attachment 570724
View attachment 570725
View attachment 570726
View attachment 570727
View attachment 570793
View attachment 570728
Older pic of the slugged sets!
View attachment 570743
The big chips!!

Storage... well there are cases and chips every where but I am pretty OCD so I try to keep it organized
View attachment 570736
View attachment 570737
View attachment 570741
View attachment 570744
Again I think a lot of veteran members wouldn't even play a game with many of these sets! I absolutely agree its quality over quantity. But I really want to offer our players a variety of chips, try to recruit to the forum!

Samples...
View attachment 570746
View attachment 570748
This one is getting close to full now
View attachment 570749
Buttons... this is sad... I really need a new photo... this one is over 300 now
View attachment 570750
Cut cards... again older. Probably 10 more sets now
View attachment 570753
Who knows what else!! Lol

Fellow Chipper Ben
Reminds me of myself a couple years ago! Great job you two!

Thank you Mike!! Hope to see you again soon brother!! Your Chips are on a whole different level sir!! Just crossing my fingers for an invite when they finally get felted again!! GO AWAY COVID!!
I’m looking at Memorial Weekend for the next Divide. The Pfizer vaccine announcement gives me hope!

I’m looking at Memorial Weekend for the next Divide. The Pfizer vaccine announcement gives me hope!
I’m one of the volunteers who took part in the Pfizer trial. They gave me it in tablet form.

5509574F-1EEA-4FA1-9FF8-33198C0E0BF7.jpeg

All that happened was that I found it really difficult to roll over during the night...

I think you and Brie have EXCEPTIONAL taste. Plus, you guys really know how to build mega sets, and you do it patiently. And — you’re all around fantastic chippers. Just love from over here, bud.

That is a huge collection!!!! Do you try to get them all in play in a regular rotation or are a lot of them to own to look at/collectable? I have 10 sets now and host 2-3 times per month during normal times and have a hard time not using my favorites more than the rest. The line between usefulness and hoarder is one I'm trying to stay on the right side of lol.

My CPC’s were just delivered, and I’m ecstatic at the thought of using them on a regular basis and letting them get worn in and used. Get some patina as it were.

For that reason collecting a massive quantity of sets isn’t for me, I’ve now got a cash set, custom tourney set and a limit set. Should be good for a while now. Collecting singles and sample sets will probably be my lane for quite a while.

More power to you for collecting sets, however. Of course it’s not a problem, though balance in life is everything. If you think you are dedicating an unhealthy amount of time or money to collecting chips etc. then certainly could scale back the investment for some other pursuits for a breath of fresh air.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom