About 18 months into the Hobby... 45k plus in chips... do we have a problem? (7 Viewers)

View attachment 570693

25 playable sets, 14 cash and 11 tourney...... do we have a problem?
12 or 13 sets is not that unusual around here, and since there are TWO of you, 25 seems relatively reasonable..... for a five- or ten-year run.

But in just 18 months? That's definitely standing on the gas. :tup:

Only a problem if you're no longer eating or making the mortgage payment. :)

That Ash St set is wow! Feel like pictures don't do that chip justice, the colors really pop!

7907E4FF-4FC3-4D6E-BDFF-2F8D8178A159.jpeg

That Ash St set is wow! Feel like pictures don't do that chip justice, the colors really pop!

View attachment 570765
You have no idea how excited I was to have the opportunity to build a limit set of those! All thanks to my absolute brother Derek @juankay20!!

My favorite song is "Ventura Highway" by America... I am obsessed with Green $1 chips (my favorite color) I love anything luck themed with clovers. Freaking textured inlay, blazing bright color THCs?? Are you kidding me? Absolute dream come true!!
20200525_140519.jpg

20200525_141802.jpg

Dirty little bastards though!!
20200525_140424.jpg

Not minty but all still stand on edge!
20200618_070334.jpg

One of the only sets I am building I consider Meet up worthy... Bries PCAs and the Artichokes... I don't think many would even care about the others.

Last edited:
12 or 13 sets is not that unusual around here, and since there are TWO of you, 25 seems relatively reasonable..... for a five- or ten-year run.

But in just 18 months? That's definitely standing on the gas. :tup:

Only a problem if you're no longer eating or making the mortgage payment. :)
Well I am trying to do well in the "friendly fit competition" Dave. Down 55 pounds in about 10 weeks. So eating... not much anymore!

I am still making mortgage payments... just not much left for anything else!! Haha

it’s only a problem if they don’t make you happy, and it doesn’t look like it’s the case
:)
great collection! (And, more important than just the size of the collection, thanks for being super helpful members of this community :tup:)

Did I mention every single chip is hand cleaned and compression oiled in our entire collection! 4 - 5 hours of cleaning every single day. Almost 365 days a year!! We are almost caught up again though!!
WOW! That's an unreal amount of work! Do you not like how ultrasonics clean chips?

Wow, simply amazing, in 18 months, (but two chipper brains :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:, incredible collection you have. People hear about my collection, but that was done over , well coming up on 15 years next june, so a lot of new people to the hobby make me look casual :D A beautiful collection for sure, and hope to play cards with you some day . Tell me about your Santa Ysabel set and your frac choice. I am still searching for a frac and hundred .

Just hoping @Klobberer doesn't see this thread... he will yell at me about retirement again... lmao kidding

Some have stocks and bonds... some high grade 401ks... we invest in discs of clay!

I said I was a red neck and didn't make wise choices in life... hopefully the Union I am in takes care of everything else...

Otherwise a castle of chips, under an old dilapidated bridge doesn't sound too bad!! Haha

For the record... I am not rich... but we aren't doing too bad!! Its not a Castle or 6000 sq ft basement... but its home!
20201109_122357.jpg

Besides... my divorce cost way more than this hobby has!! Lol

Ben

WOW! That's an unreal amount of work! Do you not like how ultrasonics clean chips?
Not a fan of the finished product with ultra sonics... to each their own I guess. The ones I have bought that were US cleaned have a rough surface... I have had 100 convos on this exact topic. In my opinion (may be wrong) but isn't the cleaner breaking off microscopic pieces of the chips while its "cleaning"?

There is a reason people will not put expensive TRKs or other valuable chips in those right?

I love hand cleaning. Yes tons and tons of work! But I get to spend time with each and every chip in the collection. Makes me feel like they are mine and that I earned them, just that much more!

Also I look at it as a service to the community. When we do sell chips, I sell at my cost or below. I do not include my time and effort to bring them back to beautiful!!

You would honestly be amazed the condition of chips people are willing to put in play or call clean, minty... there are a lot of terms that get thrown around that just aren't true!!

If you spend the money to put them in your collection. Even from chip room sales... why not take the time to clean them and protect your investment??

Just my 2 cents

Honest question: Why keep all of the cheaper (slugged/plastic) chips (no disrespect to them, just they take up a lot of space) when you have so many nice sets put together that probably (rarely?) get put into play. Is it mostly nostalgia or does it feel like they are serving a purpose?

Honest question: Why, with keep all of the cheaper (slugged/plastic) chips (no disrespect to them, just they take up a lot of space) when you have so many nice sets put together that probably (rarely?) get put into play. Is it mostly nostalgia or does it feel like they are serving a purpose?
When we play with family, most don't give a rat's ass about the quality of chips... why put wear on the expensive ones all the time... for me it has always been about set rotation!

The ole comment you will never wear down home chips... BS!! Just look at those 98 CDIs I recently sold. Not far from bike tires.

I realize this is an extreme example and they were probably used all the time, maybe even in a legit card room. But not only wear there is also the cleanliness factor. I don't want to have to reach and oil all of these chips all the damn time. If they hit the felt once or twice a year... it will probably be 5 plus years before I have to go through this torture again...

Ohh and they make nice poker room decorations of course!!

They are part of my chipping journey. Some of them haven't seen felt yet! Why sell for 50% or less what I have in them? I don't need the space. In time they will get used! And it cost more to ship the bastards than they are worth!

No we both can feel a mild pitting that occurs to the surface of the chips. Plus chips like the Mardi gras and the PCAs are very easily damaged by water and cannot be submerged
Not a fan of the finished product with ultra sonics... to each their own I guess. The ones I have bought that were US cleaned have a rough surface... I have had 100 convos on this exact topic. In my opinion (may be wrong) but isn't the cleaner breaking off microscopic pieces of the chips while its "cleaning"?

There is a reason people will not put expensive TRKs or other valuable chips in those right?

I love hand cleaning. Yes tons and tons of work! But I get to spend time with each and every chip in the collection. Makes me feel like they are mine and that I earned them, just that much more!

Also I look at it as a service to the community. When we do sell chips, I sell at my cost or below. I do not include my time and effort to bring them back to beautiful!!

You would honestly be amazed the condition of chips people are willing to put in play or call clean, minty... there are a lot of terms that get thrown around that just aren't true!!

If you spend the money to put them in your collection. Even from chip room sales... why not take the time to clean them and protect your investment??

Just my 2 cents
That's dedication! Obviously they all came out looking fantastic!

When we play with family, most don't give a rat's ass about the quality of chips... why put wear on the expensive ones all the time... for me it has always been about set rotation!

The ole comment you will never wear down home chips... BS!! Just look at those 98 CDIs I recently sold. Not far from bike tires.

I realize this is an extreme example and they were probably used all the time, maybe even in a legit card room. But not only wear there is also the cleanliness factor. I don't want to have to reach and oil all of these chips all the damn time. If they hit the felt once or twice a year... it will probably be 5 plus years before I have to go through this torture again...

Ohh and they make nice poker room decorations of course!!

They are part of my chipping journey. Some of them haven't seen felt yet! Why sell for 50% or less what I have in them? I don't need the space. In time they will get used! And it cost more to ship the bastards than they are worth!
It's all very impressive and I get the logic. I think for me, living in a small apartment in New York City, I get nervous seeing so many cases of chips all together!

Allow me a short thread-jacking, 'cause I feel this is the only opportunity I 'll ever have posting in public custom-labelled plastic slugged crap and still get some sympathy :)
I didn't throw them away, out of nostalgia (served me for around 2 decades) and appreciation to my liver (many of them came with bourbon bottles):D
Still, I custom-labelled most of them for "rural travel" use.
Dice Custom1.jpg
Dice Custom2.jpg
Dice Custom3.jpg
Dice Custom4.jpg

:whistle: :whistling:

Woah, those plaques are great to look at. Impressive set in that time period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom