A Glimpse Inside the Goldfish Bowl - poker analysis, pr0n and random thoughts (2 Viewers)

Big o all night. Let’s goooo!
IMG_7230.jpeg

Ok, let’s talk cards for a moment. Many of you know I use a set up once and retire it. Many of you also know that I pretty much exclusively use modiano platinums as I think they are the best. But truth be told there are other manufacturers out there that I have not really tried. As modiano has become difficult, if not impossible, to get in the states, I need to explore other options. Although Copaq are not as good as the MPs, I think they are good enough to get through a single night. So I am leaning towards them. But I am open to suggestions.

So, a call out to all the card experts, what other cards out there compare to the MPs? I would be looking for poker size, jumbo index.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ok, let’s talk cards for a moment. Many of you know I use a set up once and retire it. Many of you also know that I pretty much exclusively use modiano platinums as I think they are the best. But truth be told there are other manufacturers out there that I have not really tried. As modiano has become difficult, if not impossible, to get in the states, I need to explore other options. Although Copaq are not as good as the MPs, I think they are good enough to get through a single night. So I am leaning towards them. But I am open to suggestions.

So, a call out to all the card experts, what other cards out there compare to the MPs? I would be looking for poker size, jumbo index.

Let me know your thoughts!

Piatniks. Bridge / jumbo Index/

How would @Anthony Martino play this hand……

Playing 5/5/25. The 25 is a button straddle. I am on the button. Someone raises to 150….. I look down at :qc::tc::9h::6h:

I think Anthony would fold this hand….. but, I have position, I already have 25 in, multiple people have called, and most importantly momma didn’t raise no bitch. I call.

Flop is :kc::9c::6d:

Checks around to player on my right - we will call him pig vomit (movie reference?), who bets 425. Raising is probably the play here to isolate, but I just call to see what others do. Everyone else folds.

Turn is :4h:, not the jack I was looking for. Pig vomit bets 1k. Hmmmm.

What could pig vomit have here? What do you plo pros do? I should also say, that I am sitting on about 4500.

Playing 5/5/25. The 25 is a button straddle. I am on the button. Someone raises to 150….. I look down at :qc::tc::9h::6h:

I think Anthony would fold this hand….. but, I have position, I already have 25 in, multiple people have called, and most importantly momma didn’t raise no bitch. I call.

Checks around to player on my right - we will call him pig vomit (movie reference?), who bets 425. Raising is probably the play here to isolate, but I just call to see what others do. Everyone else folds.

What could pig vomit have here? What do you plo pros do? I should also say, that I am sitting on about 4500.

You'd think pig head would have raised pre with kings, right? Call and bomb away on any non club river.
In a multi-way pot, the number of times I see players wake up with KKxx in this spot is pretty high… lots (and lots) of players slow play big pairs in PLO… sometimes they are ‘trying to trap’, sometimes they are tight, and sometimes they have bankroll or liferoll on the table

Well, I just opt to call the 1k. Pig vomit typically is not the type of player to flat with kk, especially in late position so I didn’t put him on kk. I figured he had something like a k with nut flush draw.

Anyway, the river was :6s: and he shoves all in. Hmmmmmm…….

How much is the call relative to stacks? Given picture above in guessing this is trivial call. If you're deeper it might get trickier. Problem is that you are blocking missed draws so boats seem more likely.

I mean, how can I argue with "momma didn't raise no bitch?"

You do have position on the button which is nice. The pot being multi-way is less profitable for you, however. It increases the chances you'll make a 2nd best hand since your hand doesn't have much in the way of nut draws, it would play better headsup rather than multiway.

But, you called and here we are on the flop.

You've flopped the 2nd nut flush draw, bottom two pair and a gutshot straight draw. If there was significant action multiway here, it's easy to get enamored with this hand because you have so much "potential" to make a hand. However, you'll often wind up with the 2nd (or 3rd) best hand many of the time if there's significant action coming to you.

As it stands, it's checked around to the CO who opts to bet this flop fairly large in relation to the pot. He only has to get through you. If any of the other players had flopped top set here, they'd likely bet to protect it given the wetness of this board texture, unless they expect someone behind them will bet and they can checkraise.

But overall I figure you are ahead of the rest of the field, the only concern now is the CO. Is this player betting because everyone has shown weakness and he only has to worry about you? I don't know this player so I can't say, it's certainly a possibility in a vacuum.

He could conceivably be betting some sort of wrap straight draw with a weaker flush draw than you, he could be a player who just calls with KKxx pre and he actually has the goods here.

If I felt I was best on the flop I'm likely raising here to 1200. My hand has some strength and potential, but I don't want to take it multiway, and I want to put pressure on an opponent who is out of position against me and could just be making a move as well.

While him holding K6xx is unlikely (although I guess that depends on your player pool, I see plenty of people play trashy hands with danglers) he could have K9xx with other broadway cards.

As played, on the turn your hand looks like a draw that whiffed, so his bet makes sense if he believes he's trying to deny you that equity (without realizing you also have two pair, albeit a weak two pair, but it could be good, I've seen people overvalue top pair, top kicker or AAxx with no draw or blockers in spots like this)

I think a call on the turn is fine, you have position so your opponent is forced to give you information first on the river. If you raise on the turn you're likely only getting action when behind.

Well, I just opt to call the 1k. Pig vomit typically is not the type of player to flat with kk, especially in late position so I didn’t put him on kk. I figured he had something like a k with nut flush draw.

Anyway, the river was :6s: and he shoves all in. Hmmmmmm…….

I'm calling in this spot. I mean, he could have KKxx or 99xx (I have flopped all three pair and run into sets before) but your hand is extremely disguised. There's no way he's putting you on 96 in the hole here. Your hand looks like a draw or combo draw that whiffed given you haven't shown any aggression, you've just called on two streets.

If that's the case, why is he betting so large? It doesn't look like you should be able to call that shove, so maybe he missed a draw as well and he's trying to apply max pressure.

There are players who will shove there with the effective nuts as well, hoping you don't believe them or that you made a 2nd best hand and can call. But overall (without knowing this player) I think a call is fine here given how disguised your hand is and how your hand looks to your opponent (i.e. it looks like a draw)

Well, when he shoves I was not happy. But I know this player - he is no nit and is capable of bluffing or betting light in hopes that I missed my draw. Plus he was stuck a lot. I ended up calling and he turns over two red Ks. He actually had double suited kings, which he played very slow. Typically he raises that type of hand preflop. He changed the codes on me. I got felted and did not rebuy. I fully blame the dealer!

I fully blame the dealer!

When in doubt, it was the dealers fault 100% :p

Another reason to raise his bet on the flop, he's going to give you more information at that point with a shove, where you can safely get away from your hand.

As played, I dislike preflop and flop play, but I like how you played turn and river.

This highlights the need to play quality starting hands. Even heads up it’s hard to know what card I want to see on the river ( besides an off-suit jack obviously) with this hand. I was getting felted if he had a set of kings or nut flush draw cause I am not good enough to fold if a 9, 6 or club comes on the river.

And I agree I should have raised the flop to get information as well as to just get it all in and run it twice if necessary.

Oh well, chips please!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom