A Collection of My 3D Renders (1 Viewer)

Colquhoun

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted a few of these in other threads but thought I'd consolidate into one discussion.

I've been creating 3D models of chips and rendering them for a little while in my spare time. It's fairly laborious right now, creating the mold and a different model for each edgespot design. So far, I've created models for THC, SCrown and CSQ. What mold should I tackle next?

Here are some examples:
willies_5_23a.jpg

5_24a.jpg

for @Machine :
5_13b.jpg

for @OfficerLovejoy:
5_23c.jpg

5_23a.jpg

and even done some dealer buttons:
9_19a_cropped.jpg

Right now, I'm just fiddling with this in whatever time I can scrape together, but may offer as a service in the future if there's enough interest.
Cheers!
Steve

Attachments

• willies_5_23a.jpg
    willies_5_23a.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 5_15b.jpg
    5_15b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 5_23c.jpg
    5_23c.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 5_23a.jpg
    5_23a.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
WOW. If you'd want to offer this as a paid-for service then I would concentrate on the CPC molds and edge spot patterns. If I am spending thousands on a custom set, making sure they look great together for a reasonable fee before placing an order would be a no-brainer IMHO.

The CPC design tool is great but doesn't really give you an idea of how the chips look together - specifically in splashed pots, mixed stacks for looking for dirty stack issues and/or tournament starting stacks. I have spent many an hour hacking stacks together in MS Paint trying to test for dirty stack issues!

Oh, and I guess you could also check for potential issues in low light conditions? Plenty of opportunities here if you can streamline the process and you wanted it. Good luck!

WOW. If you'd want to offer this as a paid-for service then I would concentrate on the CPC molds and edge spot patterns. If I am spending thousands on a custom set, making sure they look great together for a reasonable fee before placing an order would be a no-brainer IMHO.

The CPC design tool is great but doesn't really give you an idea of how the chips look together - specifically in splashed pots, mixed stacks for looking for dirty stack issues and/or tournament starting stacks. I have spent many an hour hacking stacks together in MS Paint trying to test for dirty stack issues!
I’ve been toying with the idea of becoming a vendor and doing the service, but wasn’t sure if these renderings were something that was desirable enough to pay for.

I hadn’t considered the dirty stack issue when making these, I guess it would be helpful.

Getting the colors completely accurate is a bit of a problem, though. I’m using colors grabbed from the CPC chip images, which aren’t entirely accurate to begin with. In addition, the lighting and color cast that are in my renderings can alter them a bit further. Right now, the colors are only a loose guideline.

I’ve been toying with the idea of becoming a vendor and doing the service, but wasn’t sure if these renderings were something that was desirable enough to pay for.

I hadn’t considered the dirty stack issue when making these, I guess it would be helpful.

Getting the colors completely accurate is a bit of a problem, though. I’m using colors grabbed from the CPC chip images, which aren’t entirely accurate to begin with. In addition, the lighting and color cast that are in my renderings can alter them a bit further. Right now, the colors are only a loose guideline.

I can loan you a color sample set if you would like?

Getting the colors completely accurate is a bit of a problem, though.
I am sure the usual suspects (AKA artists) @JeepologyOffroad , @timinater and/or @Gear (sorry if I've missed anyone) probably have fairly accurate color match info for the CPC colors. In fact, I think there was a post with the CPC CMYK colors somewhere too...

At the end of the day, it'll only ever be a representation unless you have a correctly calibrated display/monitor.

Very, very nicely done! I can image that, in addition to colors being hard to represent accurately, cross hatching also has to be a pain!

I started to look into converting some of my 3D models into renders using Blender, but I'm in way over my head. I think I need to stick to 3D printing and software development :)

I can loan you a color sample set if you would like?
Thanks for the offer! I probably only need an RGB or CMYK equivalent for them right now, I’ll look around for it. As @BillyBluff mentioned, it’s still just a representative color match, and there’s so many variables in the process that follow which can throw it off further.

I guess I should have looked for this first before taking the time to starting my own chart... :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Thanks for this!

The crosshatching on a chip wasn't too bad, I just had to figure out how to do it. I ended up making a displacement map from a black and white grid, then blurred in photoshop. It basically cuts down into the surface of the chip making little bumps:
5_24a.jpg

Where are you? Long Island; I'm in NJ - we gotta meet up for a beer and talk about 3D stuff and mosaics!

Fantastic approach; it doesn't produce anything in the mold recess either, which is really nice. Have you considering finding a way to get the texture to go on the inlay. Not that it needs it, but just curious is all. I don't think it would add much to the 3D renders, but some chips do have that textured inlay (including some CPCs)

Where are you? Long Island; I'm in NJ - we gotta meet up for a beer and talk about 3D stuff and mosaics!

Fantastic approach; it doesn't produce anything in the mold recess either, which is really nice. Have you considering finding a way to get the texture to go on the inlay. Not that it needs it, but just curious is all. I don't think it would add much to the 3D renders, but some chips do have that textured inlay (including some CPCs)
Mmmmmm…..beeeeeeer. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The way I get the hatching only on the outer surface is that I set it as a different color profile than the rest of the chip. I also need to do each edgespot the same way. It takes a while!

Can you do a chip that looks like a oreo but has the kgb bear where it would say oreo?
Were you looking to make a set with that Oreo/bear idea? Might be cool.

That may take me a while to mock that up. I got the Oreo in the OP online....these 3D artists are amazing. My 3D background is architectural, so moving to chips was a bit of a jump.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom