8V Compression Clay Blowout Sale (4 Viewers)

So I'm working on modeling racks for 3D printing as documented in this thread, and I'm currently printing a prototype of a rack to hold these 8V china clay chips. Hopefully this doesn't bother Gene, but I think he has sold out his inventory of the 71mm racks for these chips, so I'm not making anything that competes with his product line. I'm just trying help out those of us that were lucky enough to get in on the awesome Black Friday sale but don't have racks that will hold these chips because they're so thick.

My question for the hive mind is: are there any colors of these chips that are even thicker and don't fit in the 71mm racks? I only have blue and brown chips in my set to measure. Can someone with more colors confirm the height of a barrel of them?

I'll post an update here when I finish the 71mm rack model. Here's a progress shot of my mock-up print. Almost there!

71mm rack progress.JPG

So I'm working on modeling racks for 3D printing as documented in this thread, and I'm currently printing a prototype of a rack to hold these 8V china clay chips. Hopefully this doesn't bother Gene, but I think he has sold out his inventory of the 71mm racks for these chips, so I'm not making anything that competes with his product line. I'm just trying help out those of us that were lucky enough to get in on the awesome Black Friday sale but don't have racks that will hold these chips because they're so thick.

My question for the hive mind is: are there any colors of these chips that are even thicker and don't fit in the 71mm racks? I only have blue and brown chips in my set to measure. Can someone with more colors confirm the height of a barrel of them?

I'll post an update here when I finish the 71mm rack model. Here's a progress shot of my mock-up print. Almost there!

View attachment 386270
I can't remember which colour but there's definitely one that barely fits the 71mm rack - i.e. you have to really squeeze the last chip in.

I have blue, black, brown, white and gray. They all seem to be the same size. A couple of the grays might be very,very,very slightly taller. But it is not even measurable. Guessing more of a random general — not color specfic — manufacturing variance. You can’t really measure the difference. Just “feels” a touch snugger when putting in rack.

Thanks a ton for doing these!!!!!

Question for you: Was looking at the option of sending a file out to 3rd party online 3D printing service. Googling it up, I see there’s tons. Do you, or anyone have an recommendations?

View attachment 386270
Certain purples
Edit* added picture
EDIT** the edge spots are more pink versus red.

purpcomp1.jpg

If someone with snug chips has a caliper and can measure a barrel, I would appreciate it! If the chips are snug but still fit, I'm thinking I could just increase the width of the rack slightly by 0.5mm or so and it would work for all colors.

Question for you: Was looking at the option of sending a file out to 3rd party online 3D printing service. Googling it up, I see there’s tons. Do you, or anyone have an recommendations?
I haven't looked into it myself, so I don't have any recommendations, sorry. I can tell you that printing one rack myself costs about $2 in plastic, maybe $0.25-0.50 in electricity, and lots of time. I like to print them at a fine resolution to make the curves smoother, which can take 24-26 hours for a rack. If you have it printed by a commercial service, can you select how fine of a resolution you want?

Best I can tell its pretty prohibitive to send these out to a commercial printer... which, in hindsight, I guess makes sense given the amount of time it takes to output (even if the materials are cheap). Depending on options selected, the avg price I found was $150-250 each. Found some in the $47 each range, but that was as cheap as I could find.

Looks like you need to have your own access to a printer thru friends/family/work to make these cost effective. Damn.

(FWIW, your STL file appeared to render perfectly in the online quote engines)

Best I can tell its pretty prohibitive to send these out to a commercial printer... which, in hindsight, I guess makes sense given the amount of time it takes to output (even if the materials are cheap). Depending on options selected, the avg price I found was $150-250 each. Found some in the $47 each range, but that was as cheap as I could find.

Looks like you need to have your own access to a printer thru friends/family/work to make these cost effective. Damn.

(FWIW, your STL file appeared to render perfectly in the online quote engines)
That's... friggin insane! I can't even fathom how they come up with those prices.

Check to see if you have a library near you that has a 3D printer. Although they might not be fond of you hogging it for a day at a time. :LOL: :laugh: My library has a printer but I've never used it.

I'm willing to print small batches of stuff too, especially for locals. Maybe I need to reconsider buying a 2nd printer to churn racks out if that's what the commercial places are charging. Those prices are ludicrous. I'd be happy to sell stuff with a markup of a couple bucks per rack for forum members. I just don't want to make it a full-time job tying up my only printer. If I had a second, I could crank out racks and keep my original for other projects. For normal stuff you're probably still better off buying the nice clear acrylic racks that are already out there, but the 3D printer is a nice option for custom stuff.

Yea, I was shocked too, but I guess the time component plays into it. If it ties up a printer for a day, you have to factor how much money per day that printer could be making on several smaller/faster jobs.

That's... friggin insane! I can't even fathom how they come up with those prices.

Check to see if you have a library near you that has a 3D printer. Although they might not be fond of you hogging it for a day at a time. :LOL: :laugh: My library has a printer but I've never used it.

I'm willing to print small batches of stuff too, especially for locals. Maybe I need to reconsider buying a 2nd printer to churn racks out if that's what the commercial places are charging. Those prices are ludicrous. I'd be happy to sell stuff with a markup of a couple bucks per rack for forum members. I just don't want to make it a full-time job tying up my only printer. If I had a second, I could crank out racks and keep my original for other projects. For normal stuff you're probably still better off buying the nice clear acrylic racks that are already out there, but the 3D printer is a nice option for custom stuff.
Most commercial printers are SLS printers, not FDM and $10k plus. I have a 10k laser and I charge it out at minimum $1 per min.... and think how long a print takes

Just received some spirit molds and was pleasantly surprised for the price of these things.

Do they feel similar to the 8V?

ZprXLuY.jpg

Just received some spirit molds and was pleasantly surprised for the price of these things.

Do they feel similar to the 8V?

ZprXLuY.jpg
The spirit molds feel and sound more like actual clay chips than any other china clay, IME. The downside of these is that they tend to be very brittle.

The spirit molds feel and sound more like actual clay chips than any other china clay, IME. The downside of these is that they tend to be very brittle.
Hmmmm brittle enough to where I'd regret putting together a large set because 25% or more end up broken? I really am a fan of em.

If someone with snug chips has a caliper and can measure a barrel, I would appreciate it! If the chips are snug but still fit, I'm thinking I could just increase the width of the rack slightly by 0.5mm or so and it would work for all colors.
I don't have a caliper but from the original 8V GB (at CT) here are the chips in order of hickness.

Original GB
Thickest: Red, Brown, Black & Blue
Mid level thickness: Green, White & Pink
Thinest: Yellow, Gray & Purple (Gray was the thinest)

The second GB batch that Palm ran had some production differences with the Purples coming out much thicker in the second run.

Any tray need to have a 71.4mm - 71.5mm barrel length to accommodate all of the 8v CC chips.

Hmmmm brittle enough to where I'd regret putting together a large set because 25% or more end up broken? I really am a fan of em.

I think the solids were the ones people had breaking issues with. All mine have edgespots and while the blues are showing some flea bites, overall they've held up rather well over the course of about 40 games in the last year.

I think the solids were the ones people had breaking issues with. All mine have edgespots and while the blues are showing some flea bites, overall they've held up rather well over the course of about 40 games in the last year.
Good to hear. These spotted chips I just got seem really stout. Actually drop a couple from pretty high up onto tile and didn't see any damage.

Are purples tough to find?

Probably not. More prone to fleabites than breakage. I believe some colors tend to have more issues than others. For instance, the solid grays I had were like those rye wafers in the Gardettt's mix. They would snap easily with just a little pressure from my thumb and index finger. YMMV.

Probably not. More prone to fleabites than breakage. I believe some colors tend to have more issues than others. For instance, the solid grays I had were like those rye wafers in the Gardettt's mix. They would snap easily with just a little pressure from my thumb and index finger. YMMV.
I think I will go ahead and piece a set together in that case. Red solids also garbage?

Good to hear. These spotted chips I just got seem really stout. Actually drop a couple from pretty high up onto tile and didn't see any damage.

Are purples tough to find?

You're probably already aware chipsandgames.com has had them on closeout for a while. You can usually find some on eBay by searching 'Real Clay Poker Chips'...but the listings are often overpriced. You may want to try negotiating with them.

You're probably already aware chipsandgames.com has had them on closeout for a while. You can usually find some on eBay by searching 'Real Clay Poker Chips'...but the listings are often overpriced. You may want to try negotiating with them.
Thanks Mike. I would probably just buy yours if I wasn't planning on relabeling myself!

Looks like you've had your set in play for a while and quite a bit. These chips I have seem solid. How many have you lost due to breakage?
Only 2. There are plenty of fleabites though. If you do buy them buy a lot. I will say a white dollar is a good idea those whites and oranges are sturdy.
The blues have been the worst....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom