My attempt at 3D printing racks (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
My latest 3D printer project is to make some racks. One of my goals is to print some custom-sized racks that will hold my 8V china clays that are too tall for normal racks. But to start with, I decided to model a copy of the Paulson rack as closely as I could. It was a good project to learn some new 3D modeling software, and it took me longer than I expected, but I'm happy with the result. I still need to do a few tweaks to the model, but I made a rough prototype print and the results are good. Here are some pictures. Keep in mind that this print is at very low quality to make it faster. Next I'm going to do a nicer print with a smaller layer height, so all the curves will be much smoother.

The chips fit nice and snug!

rack model.PNG
IMG_20191216_064101715.jpg
IMG_20191217_074411662.jpg
IMG_20191217_074444644.jpg
IMG_20191217_074528875.jpg
IMG_20191217_074555941.jpg
IMG_20191217_074701416.jpg
IMG_20191217_074732214.jpg

One thing that I didn't include in my model is this little lip along the bottom of the sides of the Paulson racks. I tried to take a picture of it, but my phone's camera is lousy at macro photos. Does this little lip serve any purpose, like holding the racks in place in a birdcage or anything? I could add it to my model if there is some reason for it.

lip.JPG

Thanks! This one used about $2 worth of plastic. I'm going to change the settings on the next one to make the walls thicker which will use a little more filament, but it's in that ballpark.

This actually seems like a viable price point. I am guessing you could sell a bunch at $4 each if you get it right for the 8v size.

Interesting. How much does it weigh, compared to a typical rack?
Good question. It's quite a bit lighter since the inside is an open honeycomb fill.
Paulson rack: 130g
Prototype print: 84g (final version with thicker walls will be a bit heavier)

It's surprisingly sturdy too, better than I expected for this rough print quality.

This actually seems like a viable price point. I am guessing you could sell a bunch at $4 each if you get it right for the 8v size.
Yeah, I'd be happy to print and sell some 8v racks once I get them dialed in. It just takes so long to print each rack. Maybe I'll buy another printer if there's a bunch of interest. I've got a few other chip-related projects in mind too.

I had considered getting a 3D printer and doing exactly this, except augmenting sidewall thickness to perfectly fit 20 "worn" chips. That way I could color coordinate racks per level of wear :) Following with interest.
I thought about offering different colors if I print racks for people, but color coordinating them by level of wear is a level of OCD that I had not considered. :LOL: :laugh: One of the tweaks that I'm planning to make though is to imprint the rack width on the underside so you can tell them apart if you have different widths.

This one took 13 hours. I might have the timelapse saved at home, I'll have to check. I have my printer hooked up to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi, which lets me view it remotely with a webcam and cancel jobs if it goes haywire, and it normally saves timelapses too, but I haven't looked at one in a while.

This one took 13 hours. I might have the timelapse saved at home, I'll have to check. I have my printer hooked up to a Raspberry Pi running OctoPi, which lets me view it remotely with a webcam and cancel jobs if it goes haywire, and it normally saves timelapses too, but I haven't looked at one in a while.

Whoa boy, so I jumped the gun on how "mass producable" these are.

Hey would you be willing to share the STL file for that rack? My friend had a 3d printing business and I know I could get him to make me some if I ply him with vodka.

Thanks,
Jody

First, that rack is awesome!

This one took 13 hours.
I'm curious to know the electric use (and cost) of running the machine. Can you look up the nameplate rating(s) of the machine in watts?

I'm guessing the motor load shouldn't use that many watts, but if there's a heating element for the plastic that would probably use the most watts.

For example, let's say the average power draw for the 13 hours is around 250 Watts for the entire time, then the cost of electricity used will be around $0.50 [assuming $0.15 per kilowatt-hour (KWh), which may be a little high for some areas.] 0.25 kw x 13 hours x $0.15 = $0.49.

Holy sht. $2 in plastic for a custom size 3D printed rack???

These would be sick if you could print a rack for the dimensions of your specific chips (heck even by denom, think China clays).

I’m very impressed and a great thread. Please keep us updated.

PS. Makes me wonder how much were over paying for $5 43mm racks...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom