My attempt at 3D printing racks (4 Viewers)

When do we get to see the 3D printed deck tray / rack? :sneaky:

1577677558528.png

I just ordered a photon resin printer. Unfortunately it won’t likely print large enough for chip racks. I do plan to print some poker related items. I’ve already created a workstation to include venting and a UV resin curing box. I’m excited as the resin printers appear to print much greater detail than filament printers. :)

27E7631C-B904-48CF-BA8E-73DEF698268E.jpeg
B29AC3F7-7A14-480D-BCA9-BB0CC485D316.jpeg

I just ordered a photon resin printer. Unfortunately it won’t likely print large enough for chip racks. I do plan to print some poker related items. I’ve already created a workstation to include venting and a UV resin curing box. I’m excited as the resin printers appear to print much greater detail than filament printers. :)
Very cool! I'd like to get a resin printer next for doing D&D minis with better detail. For big prints though, FDM is still the best option.

yeah, that would be cool, and that was one of the comments on the site. i'd love to get back into d&d, i haven't played in the better part of 20 years :(

yeah, that would be cool, and that was one of the comments on the site. i'd love to get back into d&d, i haven't played in the better part of 20 years :(
I just got back in with 5e last year. 2 of the guys in my group had not played since 2nd ed. It's great! Check out the D&D thread that @Trihonda started.

I'm curious about durability compared to traditional acrylic racks? Have you done drop test yet?

Following this thread. Awesome project!

I'm curious about durability compared to traditional acrylic racks? Have you done drop test yet?

Following this thread. Awesome project!
They seem very strong. I've dropped empty racks on carpet with no damage. I'm thinking about dropping one full of dice chips on my driveway to see what happens to a loaded rack hitting concrete. I'll take video!

FWIW, I like these low profile trays better than racks. And a 43mm is around the same footprint as a traditional 39mm rack... I have no doubt a 43mm tray would fit in a standard birdcage... In fact I bet they'd even stack 6-high in a 1000-count birdcage.

They have "tabs" and "grooves" to lock in place and are therefore sturdy (not sure if they are sturdier than traditional racks with a fair amount of overlap...)

img_20191227_130059671-jpg.385058

FWIW, I like these low profile trays better than racks. And a 43mm is around the same footprint as a traditional 39mm rack... I have no doubt a 43mm tray would fit in a standard birdcage... In fact I bet they'd even stack 6-high in a 1000-count birdcage.

They have "tabs" and "grooves" to lock in place and are therefore sturdy (not sure if they are sturdier than traditional racks with a fair amount of overlap...)

img_20191227_130059671-jpg.385058
What are these racks?

My test print just finished. To start with I just copied the card tray that I have. Next I'm going to do some remixes of it for different variations like storing a dealer button under the cards. Teaser photo (this one warped up from the bed a bit so it isn't perfect):

Card_rack_in_progress.JPG

Here are some shots of the test print. The bottom walls did not print well, I think because I skimped too much on the support underneath. I decided to thicken the walls on the bottom part slightly too, and I'm running another test print with more support. Still working on some remixes with a recess for dealer buttons and other variations.

IMG_20200107_080746602.jpg

IMG_20200107_080800517.jpg

Here's a shot of the original for comparison and to show how it stacks:

IMG_20200107_084331467.jpg

I think I know someone with a printer I can use to try make some of these!

What I would love is a rack for oversized Paulsons 43mm chips and a rack for regular 39mm chips that can stack on top of each other and preferably all fit in a birdcage. Do you have any idea on how to make that? Would it be possible to make some 43/39mm racks that are stackable with each other and still all fit in a bird cage?

Here are some shots of the test print. The bottom walls did not print well, I think because I skimped too much on the support underneath. I decided to thicken the walls on the bottom part slightly too, and I'm running another test print with more support. Still working on some remixes with a recess for dealer buttons and other variations.

View attachment 389052

View attachment 389053

Here's a shot of the original for comparison and to show how it stacks:

View attachment 389056

So sick @One Eyed Dollar!!! In for a bunch of these once your get your design dialed in!

I think I know someone with a printer I can use to try make some of these!

What I would love is a rack for oversized Paulsons 43mm chips and a rack for regular 39mm chips that can stack on top of each other and preferably all fit in a birdcage. Do you have any idea on how to make that? Would it be possible to make some 43/39mm racks that are stackable with each other and still all fit in a bird cage?
I'm going to work on some 43mm racks soon, and @justsomedude has some bird cages I can borrow to experiment with what will fit. I'll see what can be done.

Super cool!

How does the Paulson rack fit on top? Is there some flange pieces to "lock it in" or it just sits on top?
The top of the card tray is sized to fit just inside the bottom of the Paulson rack. The inside of the Paulson rack has two little "fingers" on each end that protrude out, and those rest on top of the card tray. It's probably not the most stable because there isn't a whole lot of overlap and all the weight is on those little fingers, but it's possible. If you have a tall stack, it's probably best to put the cards on top of the stack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom