600 workhorse & 200 value: enough chips for a limit set? (1 Viewer)

Beakertwang

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Reaction score
With the bargain happening on the 8V's, I thought I'd do my limit set. Right now, our crew plays 5¢/10¢ NLHE, and have experimented with PLO. I'd like to introduce limit games, probably 20¢/40¢ stud, with a dealer ante, and 10¢ bring-in. Everyone could get 60 workhorse chips (dimes, in this case), and 4 value chips ($1) for a $10 buy-in. I'll leave them non-denominated in case I want to use them for higher limit games later.

600 grays, 200 purples gives me way more bank than I'll ever need.

Any other tips? Could I get by with fewer chips? I know all you chippers love ridiculous stacks for limit games, but I'm limited on funds and storage space.

Following. I know nothing about limit games or any poker other than Omaha and NLHE actually. Something I should probably read up on.

How many players (6) you'll be ok (8-9) you can make it work but I would want more workhorse chips. Winner will be selling chips back to the table a lot. Preferably the minimum I'd want is a rack of workhorse chips per player but I've played with less.

How many players? 8? I recommend 750/50 and don't label the chips. This allows you to alter the value if/when your game grows.

750 allows you to almost have a rack per player. The big chip (you have 50) is then valued at 10x your base chip. In your case, 20c/40c stud, your base chip is 20c, your big chip is $2.

The big chip is primarily used for rebuys... and to fill in for the 8th player that doesn't get a full rack of the base chip.

edit*** just re-read your post... you have a 10c bring-in... and already planned to have the big chip as 10x the small. I still think upping the qty of the small chip is better. Why not up the purchase to 900/100? :)

Think about the bets. Minimum is a 2 chip bet the first two rounds. 4 chip bet subsequent rounds. Capped at four bets means you could blow through 48 chips in one hand (in stud there is another 4 chip bet so 64). But you will not be playing with 10 more like 6-8. Not saying it’s going to happen a lot but it can and do you want to make change every hand (okay maybe not every hand). Plus can’t go to a 3/6 or 4/8 chip game.

actually... It just donned on me... my limit set is 950x $1 and 50x $20... my big chip is 20x the small... we play $2/$4 and our stud bring-in is $1.

So my updated recommendation is:
750x 10c
50x $2

This actually helps the bank a lot. It gives you $100 in big chips. Likely enough for several more buy-ins.

Yeah you really only need a rack of value chips (if that) and make the value chip 20x not 10x. Use those extra amount on the workhorse chip amounts.

Think about the bets. Minimum is a 2 chip bet the first two rounds. 4 chip bet subsequent rounds. Capped at four bets means you could blow through 48 chips in one hand (in stud there is another 4 chip bet so 64). But you will not be playing with 10 more like 6-8. Not saying it’s going to happen a lot but it can and do you want to make change every hand (okay maybe not every hand). Plus can’t go to a 3/6 or 4/8 chip game.

coffee first

I know nothing about limit games but I say just up to 800 small chips. It's only $20 more and will fit in a 1000 chip bird cage! 800 is an odd chip number for storage as most cases are 500, 600 or 1000. Also the boxes that Gene is using hold 500 chips so it'll probably cost the same to ship.

I know nothing about limit games but I say just up to 800 small chips. It's only $20 more and will fit in a 1000 chip bird cage! 800 is an odd chip number for storage as most cases are 500, 600 or 1000. Also the boxes that Gene is using hold 500 chips so it'll probably cost the same to ship.
900 chips is $16 shipping, 901-1250 is $22.05, according to Gene. Not a big deal, just FYI.

Another vote for more base chips, and fewer hi-denom chips (which should be 20x). Either 750/50 if sticking with 800 chips total, or 900/100 if bumping up to 1000 chips (my preference). Actually, 1000/100 would be even better, if you're ever going to seat 10 players.

Limit pros. I'm thinking of messing with a limit set for a mixed game every now and then. Would 25 cent and 5 dollar as the chips work for 25 to 50 dollar buy ins for us low rollers? Every set ive seen is much higher with the denoms so I'm curious if low stakes limit can still be fun with some nlhe and plo mixed in?

Another vote for more base chips, and fewer hi-denom chips (which should be 20x). Either 750/50 if sticking with 800 chips total, or 900/100 if bumping up to 1000 chips (my preference). Actually, 1000/100 would be even better, if you're ever going to seat 10 players.
I'm curious how do you store 1100 chips if you went this route? I am learning, have nothing yet, want to make a micro set and you seem to know way you are talking about lol

I'm curious how do you store 1100 chips if you went this route? I am learning, have nothing yet, want to make a micro set and you seem to know way you are talking about lol
If you want pretty storage you could bump it up another 100 and go either 1000/200 ....or....1100/100. Either if those in two 600 ct birdcages

If you want pretty storage you could bump it up another 100 and go either 1000/200 ....or....1100/100. Either if those in two 600 ct birdcages
My OCD would require 1000 CT birdcage not sure why....

Limit pros. I'm thinking of messing with a limit set for a mixed game every now and then. Would 25 cent and 5 dollar as the chips work for 25 to 50 dollar buy ins for us low rollers? Every set ive seen is much higher with the denoms so I'm curious if low stakes limit can still be fun with some nlhe and plo mixed in?
Yup. Those would work perfect. Really if you have a group that likes low buy in tourneys for say....$20-$25 they should also enjoy low stakes limit poker

Agreed.....but now that I've handled 600 ct birdcages, I really don't want to dick with 1000 ct cages much any more. They are easier to carry and feel much more stable single handed
Hmm I've never handled any... Where do you guys buy them from?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom