60"+ TVs (2 Viewers)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new TV when the man cave is finished. I was using a Sony Bravia 52" LCD that I bought in 2007 from the now defunct Circuit City. Now that the room is much bigger, I think a Samsung 65" would fit the space much better.

Our living room has a Sharp 42" LED LCD and we have a Samsung 32' LED LCD in the bedroom. If I upgrade, I can put the 52" in the living room, 42" in the bedroom, and move the 32" into the guest room. (or put it in my office in the basement :))

What size TV's do you have around the house?

We have a 46" in our living room that has been designated to our basement when it gets finished then we will likely get a 52 for the living room. We have a 27" in our bedroom

We've got a 51 inch Toshiba LED in the family room, a 40 inch LCD in the office, a 32 inch LCD in the bedroom, and my computer screen is actually a 32 inch LCD screen.

92" screen in my unfinished mancave. Projectors are made for basements :)

I'm thinking of getting a new TV when the man cave is finished. I was using a Sony Bravia 52" LCD that I bought in 2007 from the now defunct Circuit City. Now that the room is much bigger, I think a Samsung 65" would fit the space much better.

Our living room has a Sharp 42" LED LCD and we have a Samsung 32' LED LCD in the bedroom. If I upgrade, I can put the 52" in the living room, 42" in the bedroom, and move the 32" into the guest room. (or put it in my office in the basement :))

What size TV's do you have around the house?

I'm lucky to have a very nice 80" Sharp Aquos LCD with full array LED backlighting from pre-April 2013 (when Sharp, Sony, Samsung and others dumbed down their top-end TVs with less capable new models that have edge-lit LED backlighting only, among other downgrades). My older (previous top of the line) Sony XBR5 46" LCD was moved immediately adjacent to the poker table (as seen in a few photos I've posted), though both TVs are viewable from the table.

I like Sharp and Samsung TVs because they make their own panels. My 42" Sharp Aquos has the yellow pixel. Have you noticed a difference in having a 4th pixel?

Too late for a projector at this point. I pre-wired for a wall mount TV and I only have 7.5 feet ceiling height anyway.

I like Sharp and Samsung TVs because they make their own panels. My 42" Sharp Aquos has the yellow pixel. Have you noticed a difference in having a 4th pixel?
To be blunt, no.

Theoretically, the yellow pixel doesn't help, as you can already mix any and every color with red, green, and blue (the three "light based" primary colors). Technically, if you DID want to add a pixels of secondary colors for whatever reason, they should have added all three secondary colors - yellow, orange, and purple.

The yellow pixel is fine... it just didn't help.

Out of the box (perhaps a meaningless measure), the top of the line Sonys, Samsungs, and "Elite" branded Sharps all have better color than the Sharp Aquos. Once calibrated (IF calibrated?!), however, they're all very close, those most would argue that the Sony has a small edge over Samsung and Sharp. Even though I bought the Sharp Aquos, I would concede this point. The biggest reasons I went with my Sharp in March 2013 are:

1) at 80", it was significantly larger than the largest high end Sonys and Samsungs (other than Sony's $25,000 84" 4k TV).

2) Sharp's quality control and failure rate among the high end TVs has been better than Sony and Samsung recently.

3) The top of the line Sony at that time (no longer available) was the only other large LCD TV that had full array LED backlighting, as opposed to edge-lit LED backlighting, and that TV was "only" 65". That Sony was also the last TV to feature "local dimming" on the full array backlighting. A shame it's now gone. Looking forward to OLED becoming available in large sizes, and affordable, to be able to get back to the kind of contrast that was provided by "local dimming" on full array LCD TVs.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Just got a 60" LED over the holidays to replace a 38" LCD. nice little upgrade.

Apologies if you already know this, but BOTH of your TVs are LCD panels. The difference is that the 38" has fluorescent backlighting, while your 60" has LED backlighting. There are no TVs with LED panels. The closest thing would be the new OLED panel TVs that are just now starting to appear, and they are still quite expensive.

To be blunt, no.

Theoretically, the yellow pixel doesn't help, as you can already mix any and every color with red, green, and blue (the three "light based" primary colors). Technically, if you DID want to add a pixels of secondary colors for whatever reason, they should have added all three secondary colors - yellow, orange, and purple.

The yellow pixel is fine... it just didn't help.

Out of the box (perhaps a meaningless measure), the top of the line Sonys, Samsungs, and "Elite" branded Sharps all have better color than the Sharp Aquos. Once calibrated (IF calibrated?!), however, they're all very close, those most would argue that the Sony has a small edge over Samsung and Sharp. Even though I bought the Sharp Aquos, I would concede this point. The biggest reasons I went with my Sharp in March 2013 are:

1) at 80", it was significantly larger than the largest high end Sonys and Samsungs (other than Sony's $25,000 84" 4k TV).

2) Sharp's quality control and failure rate among the high end TVs has been better than Sony and Samsung recently.

3) The top of the line Sony at that time (no longer available) was the only other large LCD TV that had full array LED backlighting, as opposed to edge-lit LED backlighting, and that TV was "only" 65". That Sony was also the last TV to feature "local dimming" on the full array backlighting. A shame it's now gone. Looking forward to OLED becoming available in large sizes, and affordable, to be able to get back to the kind of contrast that was provided by "local dimming" on full array LCD TVs.

It's funny because Sony has used panels made by Samsung and Sharp in the past. I'll be shopping for a Samsung or Sharp when the time comes. 65" or 70". Samsung has a few decent priced sets that have the same great panel as their higher end models without the bells and whistles I don't care for. (no 3D, no wifi, no gestures) I would rather it have no built in speakers too. LOL

I don't need WiFi, gestures, or speakers (I've a 2 kilowatt sound system capable of just stupid SPL all the way down to 10 Hz). However, I used to look upon 3D as a novelty. Now my feeling is that you haven't lived until you've watched a good movie shot with 3D (stereoscopic) cameras (i.e. not a post conversion to 3D), on a good active shutter 3D TV.

For me, passive 3D, while much improved in the theaters, is still just a novelty - it's ok, but not great. Passive 3D TVs work in a different manner than the passive 3D in theaters, and they're good, too, but not great. Active shutter 3D on a high quality TV, when viewing content that was filmed in 3D (or an animated movie modeled in 3D CGI) is GREAT.

I wasn't looking for 3D as a feature... I just got it because it came with the Sharp model I wanted for other reasons. It was one or two months before I even bothered watching a 3D movie on the TV (no lie) using some PS3 active shutter glasses. I was floored. I will never be without great 3D again.

I think the best 3D I've seen in a movie so far was Monsters, Inc. The 3D was perfect... just absolutely convincing. The TV looked like a giant window into the world of the movie. Of the live action 3D movies I've watched so far, "Hugo" has probably been the best. In the mixed live action/3D CGI category, I'd have to say "Avatar". Sadly, many of my favorite movies that are available in 3D, including "Iron Man 3", "I, Robot", and "Jurassic Park" were not shot in 3D, but post converted (faked), and it's just not nearly as good as the real thing. I found "Jurassic Park" particularly disappointing - it looked so much like a storybook pop-up (2 dimensional characters and structures placed in 3 dimensional space).

Anyway, don't skip 3D in your TV! Also, be especially careful of Samsung these days. They're putting out a lot of units with defects of one sort or another. The average buyer doesn't even notice some of these defects, but if you're paying for a top-of-the-line TV, that's what you should get. Samsung has had a high failure rate in the past couple of years, too. If you can manage to get a Samsung without defects, and that doesn't fail on you within a couple years, they are absolutely awesome. Sony and Sharp are a safer bet, but all of the top manufacturers have been suffering declining quality and higher failure rates, and it killed me when they quit making LCD sets with local dimming (for better contrast) and full array backlighting (for uniform brightness).

55" Sony ordered which should arrive soon. This will replace the 42" Panasonic in the living room. Panasonic will most probably move into my poker basement.

46in Samsung has apparently been my staple because that's all I've bought in the last 6 years. I have 3 of them. Will probably upgrade to a 60 inch for the basement family room in the next year or so. Would love to go the route of a projector but we have a walk out basement and lighting would be a challenge to work with.

Nice...which brand?

Sony Bravia both.
Close call between the sony and the Samsung but it was extra 5" tv for the same price during the sale.

The smart" features on the Samsung seemed to be a lot better though. I wasn't too too interested in that stuff though.

I have a 73 in my living room 60 in my bed room and a 47 in my garage and I'm buying a 50 inch for my new borns room

Purchase a 70" Sharp today from h.h. gregg. I got a great price and 24 months interest free financing.

$2,699 - Price
$2,350 - Price matched to Amazon.com (Had to be sold by and shipped from Amazon - No marketplace sellers)
Paid $1,997 - After 15% off (10% one time Rewards member coupon and extra 5% for using my h.h. gregg card.)

SQ_PictureQuality_PixelsTabs_lg.jpg

Model:

Sharp LC-70SQ15U 70-Inch Aquos Q+ 1080p 240Hz Smart 3D LED HDTV

h.h. gregg dropped their price to $2,499 over night as did most other stores. LOL

Picked up the TV today. Hopefully I will be mounting it in about a month. :)

20140408_171033.jpg

these go with it too ;)...

7.jpg

Plus four Polk TL2 satellite speakers for a 7.1 system. Sold my Sony 52" and Polk RM95 5.1 system with 8" sub so it helped offset the cost of the upgrade. :)

I made this 70" TV template out of some trash bags about 2 weeks ago to get an idea how the TV would look and fit. The template is an inch shorter in height (36" instead of 37") but the width is correct at 62.5".

The green post it on the wall under it is 36" from the floor. I was trying to get an idea of what size credenza I can use. My center channel speaker is 20" w × 7" h and will sit on top of it.

uploadfromtaptalk1397224670213.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3.

After finding damage to the wet bar fridge, I unpacked the TV and tested it. I forgot to take a pic with it actually on. Lol. The picture is awesome.

uploadfromtaptalk1397606299047.jpg

The built in wifi on the LC-70SQ15 TV was not working. I will be returning it to the store on Monday and getting the LC-70UQ17 model instead. The UQ model is THX certified, has BrightView and Aquamotion 960. :)

Testing the new 70"

uploadfromtaptalk1398817319011.jpg
Downloading the latest firmware.

uploadfromtaptalk1398817344279.jpg
Getting ready for the Flyers game.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I have a 16in LED TV hanging in my poker room. I also have Apple TV hooked up, so i can have a really awesome blind timer.
everyone seems to love it. We can also tune in to ESPN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom