20 years late...I FINALLY watched The Big Lebowski (1 Viewer)

I was around 18 or 19 when this movie came out and the revelation that this was Kenny Rogers blew my mind. I had always thought of him associated with country music and Dolly Parton until that point.

A few years ago I saw a special screening of the movie at the Alamo Drafthouse with a pre-show talk by Jeff Dowd, the actual guy who inspired the character of The Dude. He talked for about 20-30 minutes before the show about how he met the Coens and other stories. After the show he hung around outside and smoked a joint with everybody. He was... incredibly boring. I have even more respect for the Coens afterwards that they turned this dude into such an awesome and memorable character. Their talent is immense.

Definitely a top-10 all time movie for me. Probably have seen it ~10 times, which for me is a lot. Last time I watched it was one of those special anniversary screenings. The movie was introduced by rapper Talib Kweli (some might know him from that poker-twitter back and forth a few years back) which was a cool scene. Every time I watch this movie I catch something new. A line here, a reference there. Great stuff.

This is one of two movies I remember watching for the first time, then immediately rewinding (wow VHS) and watching it again. The other was American History X.

I have probably seen The Big Lebowski 100 times now. It's pretty much perfect.

I'm sure this was already said but I'm too lazy to read 4 pages of posts that don't involve chips or pictures of chips, but you will defiantly pick up more and more each time you watch this film. It is a treasure trove of goodness. I totally get its not for everyone, my wife hates this move as much as I love it. Top 10 movie of all time for me. It should be watched at least once per year in a celebratory fashion similar to how sir Ian McKellen would read Tolkien to his friends once a year.

TBL is a friend's favorite movie. He named his band The Port Huron Statement.
OMG that's an amazing name! Love that... the SDS/sit-in reference in the film was one of those references I didn't catch until at least my 5th watch.

I'm sure this was already said but I'm too lazy to read 4 pages of posts that don't involve chips or pictures of chips, but you will defiantly pick up more and more each time you watch this film. It is a treasure trove of goodness. I totally get its not for everyone, my wife hates this move as much as I love it. Top 10 movie of all time for me. It should be watched at least once per year in a celebratory fashion similar to how sir Ian McKellen would read Tolkien to his friends once a year.
I have a few movies I do this with. The unmolested restored original trilogy of Star Wars and Fight Club come to mind, Tombstone is another, Lord of the Rings.

Definitely a top-10 all time movie for me. Probably have seen it ~10 times, which for me is a lot. Last time I watched it was one of those special anniversary screenings. The movie was introduced by rapper Talib Kweli (some might know him from that poker-twitter back and forth a few years back) which was a cool scene. Every time I watch this movie I catch something new. A line here, a reference there. Great stuff.
For sure. I saw it quite a few times before I caught the line by Walter as he rolls out of the car with the Uzi, "let's take that hill!" Just another moment where he's back in Nam. I like the fan theory that Donny isn't really there, and he's the ghost of Walter's old buddy from Nam, which is why the Dude never really pays attention to Donny. I also like the tip to just focus on Steve Buschemi in every scene he's in. Don't pay attention to anyone else. His reactions are the best.

Yes to all of those movies, and I am lucky enough to have the "unmolested" restored original trilogy of Star Wars as well, before Lucas lost his fucking mind.

I love this movie so much that I named two of my dogs after characters (Walter and Donnie). Half of my wardrobe is Walter Sobchak shirts. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen it, and it’s just as funny every time. My girlfriend thinks I’m crazy, but even she dies laughing at the “This is what happens, Larry...” scene.

I love this movie so much that I named two of my dogs after characters (Walter and Donnie). Half of my wardrobe is Walter Sobchak shirts. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve seen it, and it’s just as funny every time. My girlfriend thinks I’m crazy, but even she dies laughing at the “This is what happens, Larry...” scene.
This is one that I own and I shop here... https://thedudesthreads.com/pages/the-big-lebowski
DynamicImageHandler_b3a04b27-5c80-4e1e-8029-d5fd5a7f33d1_1155x.jpg

Love the Doc Holiday shirt!! Another one of my favorite movies. The one liners in there can’t be matched!

Love the Doc Holiday shirt!! Another one of my favorite movies. The one liners in there can’t be matched!
There's no doubt Tombstone has some of the best lines, especially from Doc. I think me and my friends reference these two movies more than any others :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom