1000 Milanos or 1000 Spirit mold (1 Viewer)

ChrisB

Pair
Reaction score
I ordered a stack 50 milanos and really like the friction they have and 50 tall is really stable. The sample of majestic s is really slick so a stack of 50 would topple over if barley bumped. I cant get my hands on spirit mold samples but I found 500 x 2 with cases for $248 including shipping. $300 no case for milanos including shipping. How do the spirit mold chips feel. Are they grippy like milanos?

Unrelated but where did you find the Milano for such a cheap price if you don't mind sharing?

I received the Spirit molds and i'm not disappointed! I find these really chalky. I love that the shoulders are square with no bevel. The edges are chalky too and the samples of other china clay's, esp on the edges feel more plastic like. They sound and feel closer to the Paulson River City New Orleans samples I have than other china clay chips. They are also thicker that Milanos and Majestic's, 20 just barley fit in acrylic trays. Thank you BGinGA for the recommendation!
20170401_105937.jpg

I bought a set of the Spirit mold chips from HTD for a relabel project and have been very happy with them.

I bought a set of the Spirit mold chips from HTD for a relabel project and have been very happy with them.
I am thinking of a non traditional relabel project. I am thinking of buying a mini laser engraver. It can engrave wood plastic acrylic. I was going to paint the center with white acrylic paint and then laser engrave logo and denomination. It should have a nice contrast if the laser engraves it black like it does on most materials. First im going to buy acrylic paint and test its ability to dry and stick to the chip along with testing how durable it is to scratching. If all turns out good with the acrylic paint then I have two choices. White centers with laser logo. Or i can laser the logo onto the existing label sticker using the label as a masking then paint over the label. Once dry remove/weed the label and the logo and denomination will be left on and into the chip in the color acrylic i choose.

I am thinking of a non traditional relabel project. I am thinking of buying a mini laser engraver. It can engrave wood plastic acrylic. I was going to paint the center with white acrylic paint and then laser engrave logo and denomination. It should have a nice contrast if the laser engraves it black like it does on most materials. First im going to buy acrylic paint and test its ability to dry and stick to the chip along with testing how durable it is to scratching. If all turns out good with the acrylic paint then I have two choices. White centers with laser logo. Or i can laser the logo onto the existing label sticker using the label as a masking then paint over the label. Once dry remove/weed the label and the logo and denomination will be left on and into the chip in the color acrylic i choose.
I think you will want to do some more paint research and experiments. Most acrylic paints can scratch and flake very easily. This can depend a lot on the texture of the painted surface. More texture equals a better bind. Applying a clear coat sealer prior to engraving may be an option. Ideally you will use an air brush with masking on the chip to get an even coat. An uneven coat will flake during engraving I think.

You may want to consider a modeling enamel. Be aware that a lacquer can be an attractive choice because it is so much more durable (used as automotive paint) BUT it can melt many plastic types. I am not sure how it would react to a clay composite. Both enamel and lacquers are more of a pain to use becasue they need solvents to clean up, require string ventilation when using and have a strong odor.

I would speak to somebody at a really good model shop if you have one in the area. This page has a good paint for model work overview: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/painting-guide/paint-types/

Is there a place to buy blank spirits that has all colors available?

I think you will want to do some more paint research and experiments. Most acrylic paints can scratch and flake very easily. This can depend a lot on the texture of the painted surface. More texture equals a better bind. Applying a clear coat sealer prior to engraving may be an option. Ideally you will use an air brush with masking on the chip to get an even coat. An uneven coat will flake during engraving I think.

You may want to consider a modeling enamel. Be aware that a lacquer can be an attractive choice because it is so much more durable (used as automotive paint) BUT it can melt many plastic types. I am not sure how it would react to a clay composite. Both enamel and lacquers are more of a pain to use becasue they need solvents to clean up, require string ventilation when using and have a strong odor.

I would speak to somebody at a really good model shop if you have one in the area. This page has a good paint for model work overview: http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/painting-guide/paint-types/
Thanks for the advice!

Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the spirit mold relabel. I got the purple and green chips from HTDepot and the remainder from Chips and Games. The labels are from Gear, For the background Spade he used a metallic ink. I love it.
IMAG0233.jpg

Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the spirit mold relabel. I got the purple and green chips from HTDepot and the remainder from Chips and Games. The labels are from Gear, For the background Spade he used a metallic ink. I love it.View attachment 91243

Looks great mate. Could I trouble you for some pics of the pink in stacks please? :).

Ha! Earlier today I ordered some because of this thread. I wish I wasn't always so interested in chips... but... well...

View attachment 91330
Only problem for you with this chip is there is limited stock and no more production that I know of. So not something you could recommend to the masses.

Only problem for you with this chip is there is limited stock and no more production that I know of. So not something you could recommend to the masses.

Yeah, I knew this would not be part the the adventure, but remember, I'm also starting a custom series and might need some guinea pigs ;)

Yeah, I knew this would not be part the the adventure, but remember, I'm also starting a custom series and might need some guinea pigs ;)

John I thought I saw one of your vids a while back where you were looking through your whole inventory. There was some box that you opened where you said the chips were crap and arrived basically in a big dust heap. What were those?

John I thought I saw one of your vids a while back where you were looking through your whole inventory. There was some box that you opened where you said the chips were crap and arrived basically in a big dust heap. What were those?

I was wondering that too! My money is on PGI.

I was wondering that too! My money is on PGI.
I'll take that bet. PGI china clays are the only ones produced using virgin raw materials and not scrap recycled plastic, resulting in a chip that is vastly superior to other china clays.

I'll take that bet. PGI china clays are the only ones produced using virgin raw materials and not scrap recycled plastic, resulting in a chip that is vastly superior to other china clays.

Given that your such a fan of spirit mold chips is it likely they are from the same manufacturer. Do they also use new raw materials for production?

... There was some box that you opened where you said the chips were crap and arrived basically in a big dust heap. What were those?

Chips actually feel great, the shipper just threw them all in a box, loose. Then UPS dropped a pallet on them repeatedly (obviously kidding). Lots of damaged chips. I'll get pictures and start a new thread when I get back. They were Key Mold somethings, eBay purchase so we may never know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom