10 k chip?? (1 Viewer)

tooth_doc

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I'm in the process of getting a tourney set made. We are planning a T10,000 with up to 40 players.
The question I have is this: chip denomination. As the chips progress form $25>$100>$500>$1000>$5000....$25,000, do I need a $10k chip? Or shoould I get more on the $5K to fill in the gap going up to the $25K chip. Sorry if this is confusing. I'm confusing myself :D
Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!
Charlie

I wouldn't do a 10k. Not necessary at all. If you max out at 40 players, it puts 400k on the tables. I'd make sure you have 400k-ish worth of 5k and 25k. Everything else will most likely be raced off by the end of the game. That way, you're covered.

What's your starting stack going to look like?

Short answer is probably no.

Long answer is more of a rant. With a T25 set, you might not need a 25k, especially if you’re doing starting stacks of 10k. If it’s a freezout, I’d say you definitely don’t, though that would probably be contrary to popular opinion here. Because if you have 40 players x 10k, that’s 400k on the table - I’d argue that a chip worth 1/16 of everything in play is pretty much useless. People love 25ks because they love big chips, but personally I wouldn’t consider them until I had well over a half-million chips on the table.
I used to play a tournament that would have up to or over 100 runners. It was a T25 and the starting stacks were 30k. A 10k chip was useful in that tournament mostly because it helped build the starting stacks. But I don’t see how it would be useful in your format, except for coloring up, and even then only if you have like 50% or more rebuys.

My thoughts? This will get the job done without having to buy a ton of unneeded chips. 40 players puts 400k on the table and you'd have those covered with 1k's and 5k's. No need for 25k unless you wanted them, maybe a cool plaque or something. Racing off the 25's on your model would be a royal pain.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 11.38.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-30 at 11.38.28 AM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 74
My thoughts? This will get the job done without having to buy a ton of unneeded chips. 40 players puts 400k on the table and you'd have those covered with 1k's and 5k's. No need for 25k unless you wanted them, maybe a cool plaque or something. Racing off the 25's on your model would be a royal pain.
I like these starting stacks for 10K
FYI -- your "total needed" for 1K should be 400, not 200

We do play add-ons and rebuys for some tourneys... kinda fly by the seat of our pants.. Some nights are crazy,others not alot of action.
Hope everyone hsa a Happy New Year.
Charlie

With a T25 set, you might not need a 25k, especially if you’re doing starting stacks of 10k. If it’s a freezout, I’d say you definitely don’t
+1
I’d argue that a chip worth 1/16 of everything in play is pretty much useless
+1
From my experience, more than 1/20 and you're just adding it because you desperately want it in play. Less than 1/50 and it's needed (e.g., 25k are needed if more than 1 million in play), and in between is a gray area.
In one of my sets I only have 125×5k, so there's a very natural chipcount when the 25ks are added (i.e. >625k)

We do play add-ons and rebuys for some tourneys... kinda fly by the seat of our pants.. Some nights are crazy,others not alot of action.
Hope everyone hsa a Happy New Year.
Charlie
Do you have an estimate for the largest required chipcount?

No, stay away from a $10k chip, its terribly inefficient.
I'm not big on your stacks either. For a 10K tourny I much prefer something more like:

12 x T25
12 x T100
5 x T500
6 x T1000

Without rebuys, and considering color-up chips (and rounding to barrel quantities) you will need
T25 x 480
T100 x 600
T500 x 320
T1000 x 400
T5000 x 80

for a grand total of 2000 chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom