Tourney How much should an 'add-on' cost (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to give the T2k stack size an audition as my qualifying rebuy threshold.

I think that I also have a mix of players who like and dislike re-buys/add-ons so this pre-buy tournament option feels like the right way to go.

Our buy-in, alot of the time, is $20. We offer rebuys up until the first break at 2 hours. At that point we also started offering a 5000 chip add on for $5.

The money raised from the add ons goes into a special pool that is paid out as additional prizes at the end of our season during our Main Event Championship Tournament and Cash Game.

This year we are using the money to add extra money into each bomb pot in the cash game, we are also doing a high hand and bad beat jackpot in the cash game. Other prizes include free buy in gift cards for our tournaments next season, that will be raffled off to our members throughout the night.

Our buy-in, alot of the time, is $20. We offer rebuys up until the first break at 2 hours. At that point we also started offering a 5000 chip add on for $5.

The money raised from the add ons goes into a special pool that is paid out as additional prizes at the end of our season during our Main Event Championship Tournament and Cash Game.

This year we are using the money to add extra money into each bomb pot in the cash game, we are also doing a high hand and bad beat jackpot in the cash game. Other prizes include free buy in gift cards for our tournaments next season, that will be raffled off to our members throughout the night.
Yeah if you want to use addons as a way to divert cash somewhere else, I guess that’s a different story.
But my feelings on addons are they should cost as much as the buyin. Make it hurt. Call it a rebuy, call it an addon, I don’t care. But I say charge them just as much for the same stack of chips that aren’t worth as much any more. Offering a $5 addon to a $20 tournament just usually seems like you’re actually running a $25 tournament. But if I had my way, there would be no addons or rebuys at all, so that’s where I’m coming from.

Yeah if you want to use addons as a way to divert cash somewhere else, I guess that’s a different story.
But my feelings on addons are they should cost as much as the buyin. Make it hurt. Call it a rebuy, call it an addon, I don’t care. But I say charge them just as much for the same stack of chips that aren’t worth as much any more. Offering a $5 addon to a $20 tournament just usually seems like you’re actually running a $25 tournament. But if I had my way, there would be no addons or rebuys at all, so that’s where I’m coming from.

I used to feel the same way until a few months ago. Generally I don't care for add ons. But in this case it allows us to fund extra prizes and payouts for our Main Event night. Only half our league makes into the championship tournament, so we thought it would be cool to give out more prizes to the players who didn't make the tournament. Our league is very competitive but it is also kind of like a big poker family. And this allows us to create more value for our players who join our league, even if they don't finish at the top of the leader board.

If the add on were not for this purpose then I would be completely against it. But in our case, I feel the good that we get from it outweighs how much I dislike add ons.

I like re-buys because I run short (4hr-ish) tournaments and people want to hang out for the evening. If they bust around hour 1 they feel like they wasted a Friday night because they can go home and do nothing or sit and watch if they wanna hang out. Add-ons keep people in a little longer too, but ultimately don't extend the game much because the blind increases get aggressive. Technically you "shouldn't" be busting out very often when you're still above 80bb+ but it happens often enough that I like the re-buy option.

Last edited:
I like re-buys because I run short (4hr-ish) tournaments and people want to hang out for the evening. If they bust around hour 1 they feel like they wasted a Friday night because they can go home and do nothing or sit and watch if they wanna hang out. Add-ons keep people in a little longer too, but ultimately don't extend the game much because the blind increases get aggressive. Technically you "shouldn't" be busting out very often when you're still above 80bb+ but it happens often enough that I like the re-buy option.
I hear you. As much as I bitch about addons and rebuys, I realize they’re totally necessary for home games and when I run one, I use them.
I like the 3 bullet tournament.
T100, 15,000 starting stacks, everybody has the opportunity to fire a second or 3rd bullet at rebuys, but if they have a bullet left at the first break, they can use that for a 20k addon.
So if the buyin is $30, most people just assume they’re in for $90, and if they don’t bust before the break, they’ll take a 15k rebuy and the 20k addon. But if gives people the opportunity to go cheap and only buy the addon (or nothing at all if they sunrun) and it keeps people from going too crazy because everybody wants to have that 3rd bullet available for the higher value addon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom