Zombie layover in Vegas: 2019 (1 Viewer)

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Getting ready for the Chateau de Noix meet-up, I found out it was cheaper to fly from Nashville to Las Vegas to Seattle than it was to just fly Nashville to Seattle.

A lot cheaper.

$250 cheaper.

I'd like to say we would just land, change planes, then complete the journey. But I'd be lying - unless they opened a cardroom in the airport. That would be awesome... except that we all know it would have a 50% rake with no top-out.

However, there are card rooms in Vegas with more reasonable rakes. A quick online check finds a room at the Plaza for $25 a night. There is also a $25 a night "resort fee". I guess I'm going to pay that 50% rake anyway. Even so, with taxes added in, it will cost $167 to stay 3 nights in Vegas. A $83 savings. Now to convince @Mrs Poker Zombie . I'm going to need a spreadsheet, key talking points, and some fall-back compromises. Maybe offer to do the dishes for a week. I wonder if a PowerPoint presentation is going too far.

Me: "You want to go to Vegas on the way to Seattle?"
Mrs Z: "Yep"

That was easy. Mrs Zombie is awesome. Besides we all know I wasn't really going to do the dishes.

Flight in, the obligatory Airplane table shots:
1569848176059.png

2019-09-29 15.06.18.jpg

The table always catches the attention of the flight crew. Shaking a martini in a cocktail shaker turns everyone's head. It's like a cat hearing a can opener. The look, then the look of disappointment when they know it's not for them. Hopefully none of them come over to shed on my table.

We land at the airport, grab out bags and head to the car. Nothing against Uber, but it costs $42. A limo costs $158. I'm already saving $83, so that's only $75 more than flying directly to Seattle, and Southwest doesn't offer a bottle of champagne.
2019-09-29 16.59.49.jpg

After checking in we slip the check-in girl $20. We get a room. Was it an upgrade? Hard to say. It's a room valued at $25. It has a great view, so there's that. It's also pretty spacious. I could set up a poker table in here. How do they do it for $25? They rob Peter to pay Paul. Or in this case, they rob John. The bathroom is tiny. Like, bedbugs wont fit in here tiny. It's so small that the door only opens about a foot.

Not kidding.
2019-09-30 06.18.13.jpg

You can put a little shoulder into the door to get in the rest of the way, but you will meet resistance.
2019-09-30 06.18.40.jpg

What is the appropriate tip to leave the maid when you decide to poop in the sink?

After checking in, we head out for dinner. About a block off the end of Freemont we find Flock and Fowl... and it's happy hour. We sit at the bar and chat with the bartender. He's drinking bourbon. We're having wine, and the pours are generous. Food was beyond outstanding. This place has been nominated for a James Beard award for the Best Chef (West). Only 27 chefs in the country are semi-finalists, including famed chef José Andrés. We had a tough time finding the entrance, walking completely around the building. If they win, it will be much easier to find. The lines will be completely around the building.

Obligatory food pr0n for @detroitdad:
2019-09-29 18.26.19.jpg

2019-09-29 19.01.55.jpg

A stroll back up Freemont, where the crazies now have circles painted on the ground that they must stay in. I think other cities should paint circles for crazy people. They are oddly effective, and when you sneak a shot, they can't chase you down... because, circles.

And yeah, we did sneak a shot. Note the pissed look on the girl that sees what we're doing, but can't leave her circle of doom.
2019-09-29 19.29.26.jpg

Onto Binions for some more cards.
The game is small, security gets called when someone threatened to take someone outside to fight, but the guy is a regular and gets calmed down. I'm not a poker genius, but I'm guessing he plays super-aggressive. I was right, but to no avail when his K-10 off-suit hits after we go all-in.
2019-09-29 19.49.37.jpg

We stop off at Pop-Up Pizza for a quick slice before bed. This place in the Plaza is pretty good. Not Brooklyn good (@gopherblue ), but when a slice is good enough to warrant the New York comparison, it's better than your average pie.

Then it was off to bed. Good Night Vegas. You won the pokers this time, but I'm not done yet. I have to get used to donking off money. The Meet-up is just 3 days away.
2019-09-29 22.22.54.jpg

Last edited:
We stop off at Pop-Up Pizza for a quick slice before bed. This place in the Plaza is pretty good. Not Brooklyn good (@gopherblue ), but when a slice is good enough to warrant the New York comparison, it's better than your average pie.
View attachment 346159
...And I thought I was tagged because you got me some racks of OYO $1s....
:confused

@Poker Zombie thanks for the fun-filled discussion. Highlights/lowlights (depending on perspective)...1) Airplane poker table -- I need to know more about that set up; 2) pooping in sink -- I can do without more details; 3) circle of doom -- is this a real thing (like they are assigned to their places and discouraged from scattering about)? 4) does Binions EVER clean their chips, or was that $1K from the hotel sink mentioned above?

unless they opened a cardroom in the airport.

Only airport with that is bentonville, Arkansas.

C3CC532D-A81F-4553-B8EC-D9136F12CBE3.jpeg

when you decide to poop in the sink

Really the shower is a better spot than the sink if you can heel it into the drain. YRMV

I think other cities should paint circles for crazy people.

I’d love that job. Get back in yer circle!

Great trip report and I look forward to following hopefully through the meetup.

@Poker Zombie thanks for the fun-filled discussion. Highlights/lowlights (depending on perspective)...1) Airplane poker table -- I need to know more about that set up;
The design thread is here. It was a multiple PCF'er effort, as @T_Chan provided the scrap of speedcloth for the play surface, and @k9dr brought a tape measure on a flight to measure the tray-tables for us. Most everything else was also random leftover bits: Rails are extra balusters from our deck, the table wood was leftover from the kitchen cabinets, the foam was leftover from one of our table builds, and the screws were random screws that somehow build up over time.

We really should throw more stuff away.

We bought gaffer tape (to form the hinges and to "staple" the fabric, and the vinyl for the rails. That was it.
2) pooping in sink -- I can do without more details;
You dont need it, but you can probably find pics on the internets if you change your mind. The internet has everything.

3) circle of doom -- is this a real thing (like they are assigned to their places and discouraged from scattering about)?
It is a real thing. We saw one guy with a keyboard silently sitting a few feet away from another circle waiting to grab it as soon as the other performer left. I probably wouldn't have even noticed the circles, if our limo driver hadn't told us about the city passing legislation requiring the Fremont performers to remain inside the circles.

Last edited:
All very interesting stuff @Poker Zombie. Thank you so much for sharing. Do you happen to have any other pictures of the table where you can see the whole thing?
The thread I linked to has all the pics. We didn't do photos with the build in various stages, because... well if I'm honest, it was difficult. Engineering the design, working with fabric in miniature form, keeping it extremely lightweight, but able to withstand some abuse like sliding it under the seat for takeoff and landing or surviving an overhead bin if necessary. The vinyl was the worst, because it just wouldn't wrap around a 1" rail with 90 degree angle corners. The middle supports were even worse, because they are only a couple inches long.

The Layover, Day 2

Woke up at 4am, because that would be 6 am Nashville time. The toughest part about short Vegas stays is my internal clock never really adjusts. I mention this because it will become important later...

Mrs Zombie and I start our day with mimosas and french toast. Well, not really a mimosa, because we didn't have any orange juice in the room, just the leftover champagne from the limo. The french toast was actually eggs, flour, butter, sugar and chocolate. Yep, chocolate chip cookies. We packed them for the meet-up, but when you are hungry and don't want a full breakfast because you are about to go play pickleball, champagne and cookies is a tasty breakfast.
1569939479488.png

Yes, we were going to play pickleball in Vegas. It's free for hotel guests. This may be the only "resort fee" in all of Las Vegas that actually gives you something.

When we go out to the pickleball courts, we find another couple already playing on one court. They were excited to see another couple, as they were actually staying on the strip, but drove to the Plaza, because they were hoping to meet other pickleball enthusiasts. These was a National tournament that had wrapped up last Saturday, so they thought there would still be fans/players hanging around still.

Now this was only our 3rd time playing, and that play has been spread out over a couple years. So when they asked if we wanted to play doubles, we were game. It's Vegas. You don't come to this town expecting to win. Against 2 self-described "enthusiasts" that were in town for a tournament... prepare to be slaughtered.

Zombies won, 13-11.

We played a couple hours swapping partners (that probably usually means something very different when spoken at a hotel in Vegas) before real hunger took over. The food truck was closed (The Plaza has a food truck on the roof - because, Vegas), which was a drag because we had rented a cabana for the day. The cabana has a minimum bar/food tab of $100, which would be a stretch if there was no food. They lowered the tab to $75, and I had to go downstairs to pick up pizza from Pop-Up Pizza.

At least I was able to get a photo.
1569940297837.png

Well, mostly. Cookies and champagne will leave you hungry after a couple hours of pickleball.

12 glasses of wine sends you to the restroom, where I found this sign:
1569940481043.png

So am I to understand it's acceptable to pee in the pool? Am I to never defecate, or just not in the pool? I need to know, because I got my eye on that sink...

A day of drinking and chillin' then we go to a downtown show, Marriage Can be Murder.
2019-09-30 18.09.35.jpg

The show was a comical murder mystery with a lot of audience participation. Here I am mixing it up Queensbury rules against a ninja. Neither one of us died.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Remember that wake-up time? That, plus a day of drinking, and we are beat. We were going to head over to the Golden Nugget for some poker, and to pick up a couple racks for @David O but just no way at this point. Barely conscious as I try to get a photo of the buxters' Circle of Doom (TM) for @Steppenwolf.
1569941565580.png

I don't think the girl in pink was happy with my free photo taking. Look lady, I'm not photographing you, I'm photographing the circle. If I wanted a pic of a barely dressed girl, it would look more like this:
1569941699665.png

You are welcome, internet.

Last edited:

If you are looking for amazing pizza in Vegas, you need to check out Secret Pizza. Its down what looks like a service hallway; third floor, back wall, of the Cosmopolitan. Great pizza and cheap prices.

If you are looking for amazing pizza in Vegas, you need to check out Secret Pizza. Its down what looks like a service hallway; third floor, back wall, of the Cosmopolitan. Great pizza and cheap prices.
We've been there. It is #3 on our list of best pizzas in Vegas, behind Pizza Rock, and now, Pop-Up pizza.

We've been there. It is #3 on our list of best pizzas in Vegas, behind Pizza Rock, and now, Pop-Up pizza.

The wife & I got to Pizza Rock every chance we get, though we have never made it to the pizza yet. :tdown:
Meatballs are out of this world and the Honey Calabrese Sausage is impossible to pass up. Never room for pizza after those two.

Love the write ups, keep them coming.

Dig the write ups I see on Vegas, particularly this one and when @Perthmike went.

First Vegas trip with wife was pretty crappy, as we anticipated most food and such to just be top notch. Ended up overpaying most of the trip for less than average everything because we hadn’t planned ahead (also ended up sick for the duration of the trip).

Excited to head back, as we’re equipped with enough info to do it right!

Last edited:
The Layover, Day 2

Woke up at 4am, because that would be 6 am Nashville time. The toughest part about short Vegas stays is my internal clock never really adjusts. I mention this because it will become important later...

Mrs Zombie and I start our day with mimosas and french toast. Well, not really a mimosa, because we didn't have any orange juice in the room, just the leftover champagne from the limo. The french toast was actually eggs, flour, butter, sugar and chocolate. Yep, chocolate chip cookies. We packed them for the meet-up, but when you are hungry and don't want a full breakfast because you are about to go play pickleball, champagne and cookies is a tasty breakfast.
View attachment 346883

Yes, we were going to play pickleball in Vegas. It's free for hotel guests. This may be the only "resort fee" in all of Las Vegas that actually gives you something.

When we go out to the pickleball courts, we find another couple already playing on one court. They were excited to see another couple, as they were actually staying on the strip, but drove to the Plaza, because they were hoping to meet other pickleball enthusiasts. These was a National tournament that had wrapped up last Saturday, so they thought there would still be fans/players hanging around still.

Now this was only our 3rd time playing, and that play has been spread out over a couple years. So when they asked if we wanted to play doubles, we were game. It's Vegas. You don't come to this town expecting to win. Against 2 self-described "enthusiasts" that were in town for a tournament... prepare to be slaughtered.

Zombies won, 13-11.

We played a couple hours swapping partners (that probably usually means something very different when spoken at a hotel in Vegas) before real hunger took over. The food truck was closed (The Plaza has a food truck on the roof - because, Vegas), which was a drag because we had rented a cabana for the day. The cabana has a minimum bar/food tab of $100, which would be a stretch if there was no food. They lowered the tab to $75, and I had to go downstairs to pick up pizza from Pop-Up Pizza.

At least I was able to get a photo.
View attachment 346887

Well, mostly. Cookies and champagne will leave you hungry after a couple hours of pickleball.

12 glasses of wine sends you to the restroom, where I found this sign:
View attachment 346889

So am I to understand it's acceptable to pee in the pool? Am I to never defecate, or just not in the pool? I need to know, because I got my eye on that sink...

A day of drinking and chillin' then we go to a downtown show, Marriage Can be Murder.
View attachment 346892

The show was a comical murder mystery with a lot of audience participation. Here I am mixing it up Queensbury rules against a ninja. Neither one of us died.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing

Remember that wake-up time? That, plus a day of drinking, and we are beat. We were going to head over to the Golden Nugget for some poker, and to pick up a couple racks for @David O but just no way at this point. Barely conscious as I try to get a photo of the buxters' Circle of Doom (TM) for @Steppenwolf.
View attachment 346894

I don't think the girl in pink was happy with my free photo taking. Look lady, I'm not photographing you, I'm photographing the circle. If I wanted a pic of a barely dressed girl, it would look more like this:
View attachment 346895

You are welcome, internet.
Equatic? What am I missing here? Is this where you play water polo on horseback?

I'm pretty sure the dumbest guy that thinks he's the smartest guy was tasked to write the sign.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom