Your Beer of Choice? (5 Viewers)

Cone hop dry hop nice, sounds like the torpedo process(S.Nnevada) w/o the torpedo. Yes they use a pump to do this prior to fermentation being complete so it invigorates the last active cells to Finish ferm, and eat all O2. Yes cold side needs to be as sterile as possible but whole hops and pellet hops are not "sterile" if you have actually done the process you know that whole cone will include, rope from the bines and sometimes large parts of the vine itself.
Btw dry hopping has come a Long way.. we started using a hop gun and have moved to a hop dosing system, I probably/legally would get a little heat if I explained it only two dosing systems are in operation currently, amazing utilization and aroma..

This makes no sense. Dry hopping has nothing to do with fermentation. Yeast eat sugar and create co2 and alcohol. They don’t “eat O2”.
Also, breweries order whole dry hop in vacuum sealed metallic bags. There was nothing in there but hop cones.
Like this but much bigger bags.

Hiding off flavors with bigger flavors isn’t a myth. After all spices gained popularity to mask the flavor of rancid meat and other foods.
As to technique...
I wasn’t originally thinking in terms of breweries large enough to have conditioning tank this big. Double and triple dry hops just means pouring multiple doses of hop pellets in the cold tanks. Nothing innovative and I’m not sure how it make any difference on the cold side. But it sure looks cool on a can label!

Attachments

• E6E8D27A-1216-41BE-B7F3-290856346AE6.jpeg
    E6E8D27A-1216-41BE-B7F3-290856346AE6.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 68
I drank a dry hopped Double IPA and a Peach Ring Berliner Weisse tonight. They were delicious, didn't think twice about how they were brewed.

yes yeast makes good things, but O2 helps build stronger cell walls during ferm, all brewers during knock out either inject O2 or sterile air.
you haven't opened enough cone hop or have seen hops being processed. it's not all just cone hops.

if a beer is meaty, there is no chance of hiding that.

we have dry hopped at 50 degrees but never colder. it tasted good but there is a noticable diff. than dry hopping in last 1/4 of fermentation.

the picture is fresh hops being added to the kiln.

Attachments

• 20180911_102339.jpg
    20180911_102339.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 72
yes yeast makes good things, but O2 helps build stronger cell walls during ferm, all brewers during knock out either inject O2 or sterile air.
you haven't opened enough cone hop or have seen hops being processed. it's not all just cone hops.

if a beer is meaty, there is no chance of hiding that.

we have dry hopped at 50 degrees but never colder. it tasted good but there is a noticable diff. than dry hopping in last 1/4 of fermentation.

the picture is fresh hops being added to the kiln.

Do you brew in a commercially brewery? Purposely injecting O2 was never done. This sounds like home brewer forum talk. We didn’t even have O2 in house. We had bottles of co2 and NO and blended our own beer gas to push stouts and “nitro” beers out to the taps.

After the boil is over you mechanically whirlpool the wort in the kettle which causes the hop residue from the pellets as well as the coagulated proteins to collect in the center. It also would aerorate the wort. The wort is then pumped though a heat exchange to cool it as it is pushed into a cleaned and sterilized fermenter with yeast pitched into it. We used to “wash” the yeast by adding a tiny amount of phosphoric acid directly into the bucket of yeast and wishing it around. The theory was that it would kill off weak yeast cells.

At no time ever was O2 “injected” into the wort or fermenter with the pitched yeast.

In the three years I worked there we made over 700 batches of beer. I opened hundreds of bags of whole hops and of course pellets. Never saw anything like rope and vines in the whole hops. Not sure where you are getting your hops from.

Also, I never heard of anyone dry hopping DURING fermentation. After in the conditioning tank yes.

Last edited:
Do you brew in a commercially brewery? Purposely injecting O2 was never done. This sounds like home brewer forum talk. We didn’t even have O2 in house. We had bottles of co2 and NO and blended our own beer gas to push stouts and “nitro” beers out to the taps.

After the boil is over you mechanically whirlpool the wort in the kettle which causes the hop residue from the pellets as well as the coagulated proteins to collect in the center. It also would aerorate the wort. The wort is then pumped though a heat exchange to cool it as it is pushed into a cleaned and sterilized fermenter with yeast pitched into it. We used to “wash” the yeast by adding a tiny amount of phosphoric acid directly into the bucket of yeast and wishing it around. The theory was that it would kill off weak yeast cells.

At no time ever was O2 “injected” into the wort or fermenter with the pitched yeast.

In the three years I worked there we made over 700 batches of beer. I opened hundreds of bags of whole hops and of course pellets. Never saw anything like rope and vines in the whole hops. Not sure where you are getting your hops from.

Also, I never heard of anyone dry hopping DURING fermentation. After in the conditioning tank yes.
wow that's interesting and some good stuff there,
different theories to get the same results, very cool to know.
yes I am a production brewer, we are about 100,000 bbls a year. most all hops are sourced from yakima, and not all have rope and leaves but it happens.
At one point white labs stated that you can never over aerate a beer. obviously post heat exchanger.
hmm.
if you open any book about yeast, first chapter will state how important it is to aerate.
sounds like you worked at a small brewery that did things against the grain. still open?

Last edited:
Brand new Farm Brewery in Monkton Maryland just a couple miles from my home. They grow their own hops and it is beautiful. Worth a visit for any Maryland beer lovers. Kid friendly too! There were about 25 two year old chasing cows including one of mine.

60A57FA1-06FC-451F-9360-D5AE6F39BD58.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom