WSOP tournament hand (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen in the live stacks thread that I played in a WSOP NLHE freeze out event this week and managed to cash. Going to post a couple of hands from the event that I think were interesting.

Context : 1k buy-in NLHE freeze out, 2400 runners at level 5 with late reg open for a few more levels. Starting stacks 20k. Structured with BB ante - at level 5 we are playing 300/500/500, so pressure is already on those that haven't been chipping up. Money bubble is way way far away.

Relevant players:
HJ : 18k - has played many WSOP events - not a pro, but seems like a very solid rec player. Hasn't gotten out of line visibly in two hours.
BB (Hero) : 57k - has only shown down a couple of monsters (straights or high pocket pairs) and has been folding alot.

Folds to HJ
HJ opens to 1200
Folds to Hero, who looks down at :9h::7h:
Pot is 2500.

Action on hero (already posted 500 as the BB).

Last edited:
I think all three options should be on the table. I want to raise, but given how shallow Villan is I think we have to call.

Also - congrats on your cash!

Not much decision here, I agree. Action continues below.

Context : 1k buy-in NLHE freeze out, 2400 runners at level 5 with late reg open for a few more levels. Starting stacks 20k. Structured with BB ante - at level 5 we are playing 300/500/500, so pressure is already on those that haven't been chipping up. Money bubble is way way far away.

Relevant players:
HJ : 18k - has played many WSOP events - not a pro, but seems like a very solid rec player. Hasn't gotten out of line visibly in two hours.
BB (Hero) : 57k - has only shown down a couple of monsters (straights or high pocket pairs) and has been folding alot.

Folds to HJ
HJ opens to 1200
Pot is 2500

Hero CALLS.

Pot is 3200

Flop comes brings :ks::9d::6h:

Action on hero.

Last edited:
Check call line is what I did. Going to skip the call action as I think given the sizing and situation that's 100% the action.

Relevant players:

Folds to HJ
HJ opens to 1200
Pot is 2500

Hero CALLS.

Pot is 3200

Flop comes :ks::9d::6h:

Hero CHECKS
Villain leads for 1000
Hero CALLS 1000

Pot is 5200.

(Just realized I effed up the suits. Correcting the earlier post as well)

Turn brings :ks::9d::6h::5h:

Action on hero.

So I chose to lead out small here - fold out his Ax hands that didn't connect. Action continues below....curious what ranges of hands you'd put Villain on in your responses.

Relevant players:

Folds to HJ
HJ opens to 1200
Pot is 2500

Hero CALLS.

Pot is 3200

Hero CHECKS
Villain leads for 1000
Hero CALLS 1000

Pot is 5200.

Hero BETS 1800
Villain pauses for a few seconds and puts in a raise to 5000.

Action on hero.

To many out to go any where here. Put him all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWC
Thoughts on what he would be playing this way? In my head I was thinking range was...

AA
AKh
Other AK
KK
A9 with Ah
A8 or A7h
88 or 77, particularly with a heart
87s

Really only in bad trouble against AKh.

Am I too generous here? Or missing hands?

Raises on turn are rarely bluffs...I expect to get called if you jam. I probably would flat, and that is probably not optimal. So far to the turn, I agree with general consensus.... But I like the turn bet and flat the raise. Improve on the river and lead jam... Don't improve, I think any K is calling.

Edit:. Check fold to a brick river.

Thoughts on what he would be playing this way? In my head I was thinking range was...

AA
AKh
Other AK
KK
A9 with Ah
A8 or A7h
88 or 77, particularly with a heart
87s

Really only in bad trouble against AKh.

Am I too generous here? Or missing hands?
I should probably add kqh, kjh, and k10h. And k9 as well. Though wasn't thinking those at the time.

Hero sees enough hands he's in massive trouble against, and could be drawing partially dead against, so he flats.

So I chose to lead out small here - fold out his Ax hands that didn't connect. Action continues below....curious what ranges of hands you'd put Villain on in your responses.

Relevant players:

Folds to HJ
HJ opens to 1200
Pot is 2500

Hero CALLS.

Pot is 3200

Hero CHECKS
Villain leads for 1000
Hero CALLS 1000

Pot is 5200.

Hero BETS 1800
Villain pauses for a few seconds and puts in a raise to 5000.
Hero CALLS.

Pot is 15200

River brings a beautiful? card :ks::9d::6h::5h::qh:

Action on hero.

I've been advocating for jams for several streets. As played, we have arrived with a flush. If we are beat we are beat, but I don't see folding as an option. He's likely to check back even two pair and possibly sets. Can't let that happen so have to jam and out him to a decision.

I've been advocating for jams for several streets. As played, we have arrived with a flush. If we are beat we are beat, but I don't see folding as an option. He's likely to check back even two pair and possibly sets. Can't let that happen so have to jam and out him to a decision.
(for what it's worth, I posted this because I thought it was my most mistake-ridden hand of the tournament)

Turn lead is not part of my strat so difficult to construct river ranges. Do you basically always have a draw when you take bet/call on turn?

Anyways, I think jam probably makes most sense on river but check call doesn’t seem terrible. I think it’s a high freq check back from V though

Turn lead is not part of my strat so difficult to construct river ranges. Do you basically always have a draw when you take bet/call on turn?

Anyways, I think jam probably makes most sense on river but check call doesn’t seem terrible. I think it’s a high freq check back from V though
I had this thought before I acted of what hands villain could be putting me on given my action. Would seem much more likely I was on either
- defendable preflop hands that flopped/turned/rivered two pair - Kx hands
- other Kx of hearts hands (unless he has the Kh, which is definitely pretty likely given the action)
- hands similar to mine - gut shots with 2nd or 3rd pair, or perhaps 87 for the turned straight

If they do not have a hand that beats mine, I don't think they can see many hands I might have that they would still beat if I was to lead.

I guess at this point you have to consider his fold equity, right? ICM-wise, he definitely has some. He’s got about 20bb behind, which isn’t ideal, especially with an ante, but it’s a whole lot better than zero. So I think he could fold a lot of hands.
Can he call you with worse? Since he was in the hijack, I’d think you could open up his range a bit. But I guess the only hand I could see him with at this point, that’s call with worseable is Jh10h.
If there’s might be exactly one combination of cards that he’s calling with, that you beat, jamming doesn’t seem profitable. The problem is, if you check, he almost has to jam, and you’re in the same position but you’ve lost your leverage. Still, if you check and he thinks he’s safe from the flush, he could value-own himself. Or, if he’s way ahead with Ahxh, he might bet less, just looking for a call.
I think it’s a check call.

Can he call you with worse? Since he was in the hijack, I’d think you could open up his range a bit. But I guess the only hand I could see him with at this point, that’s call with worseable is Jh10h.
I may be reading this wrong, but :jh::th: would beat me. Do agree could see that in the range as well, flopping a gutter/back door and turning the FD. Same with :qh::th: and :qh::jh: also. (Edit because I'm an idiot, Q is in the board so it's not possible for a hole card.)

The turned straight was the only hand I was thinking might call if I lead that river that I would beat, and maybe sets as well.

Last edited:
I may be reading this wrong, but :jh::th: would beat me. Do agree could see that in the range as well, flopping a open ender/back door and turning the FD. Same with :qh::th: and :qh::jh: also.

The turned straight was the only hand I was thinking might call if I lead that river that I would beat, and maybe sets as well.
Oh right. But you get my point. You’re very unlikely to get called by less, so I’m voting against the river jam. I’m checking and probably calling.

Oh right. But you get my point. You’re very unlikely to get called by less, so I’m voting against the river jam. I’m checking and probably calling.
Vs turn raise range is heavy with those combos though. And a lot of those combos v probabky shut down river. Really the equation is are there more combos that 1) call but check back vs 2) bluff river

You have to get creative with bluffs when all the draws get there, and villain might be good but it’s very difficult to not underbluff in this spot

Vs turn raise range is heavy with those combos though. And a lot of those combos v probabky shut down river. Really the equation is are there more combos that 1) call but check back vs 2) bluff river

You have to get creative with bluffs when all the draws get there, and villain might be good but it’s very difficult to not underbluff in this spot
Would you consider betting a straight or a set as a #2 bluff river? Or do you see some value betting potentially by villain as a #3 option?

And I was/am operating under the assumption that he can't have any flushes that lose to me.

Only flushes you beat are :8h::4h: that villain probably never plays, and :4h::3h: or :3h::2h: which a frisky HJ might open, but these hands both call your bet and jam into you, so doesn’t matter what you do, you’ll probably get the money. You have to choose whether the value you gain betting into villains straights and sets (which is gained if they call your bet, but would have checked back) offsets the value you lose from catching bluffs if you give villain some rope

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom